worried about identity theft

B

BettyDiamond

my grand daughter set up this account for me to use to get information for when we attend her wedding,I'm worried e mail information might be used for other purposes because Im getting a lot of rather saucy e mails since she registered me .She said she has set me up on poxy server to prevent identity theft now I'm wondering how safe is a poxy

Mar 2, 2008
I don't mean to be rude in any way, but I'm not sure why you are posting that information here?
Perhaps you intended it for another forum?

track

Sep 6, 2008
For hackers, nothing is safe!

Try not to give Credit Card number on e-mail, MSN, chat, etc. If you need to check accounts make sure you have a lock on internet explorer, or you are using SSL ( Secure Socket Layer ). Even then they could mirror the connection, ( Then can see what you do in the internet ). If possible start over ( New e-mail account ) Give out the e-mail address to key people only.

The proxy server will help filtering virus, worms, spams, etc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think more people should surf using a proxy server.I think its quiet frightening when some sites welcome you with a message telling you the town you live in,

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I looked at your profile and you are set up to receive private messages only so the spam can't be coming from DR1 members.

I've had my account for 3 years with my new server and I'm set up the same way, private messages only and I do not receive any spam or junk mail.

If you're using a hotmail or yahoo account it gets all kinds of spam mail unless you use a filter to filter words out and stop the saucy mail. It's not just you, it's how the internet works and it's certainly not DR1

I'm going to move this to the general stuff forum since this has nothing to do with living in the DR

Last edited:

SASDomRep

Apr 1, 2008
All of you be careful of this for Identity Theft. I received this email to my business in the DR

ROBERT MUELLER III
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FBI

FROM THE DESKTOP OF THE CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC FINANCIAL OF CRIMES COMMISSION UNDER FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI.WASHINGTON DC.

ATTENTION:BENEFICIARY:
How are you? i hope you are fine. Well, I believe by the time you will be through with this email and will understand and surely place your mind at rest as you are going to start a new life in no distance time. Most families have lost lives, homes and there great wealth due to the high rate of fraud and scams that has been all over the Nation and the world in general, but since the setup of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission alongside with the FBI Washington D.C for the purpose,these crimes has been reduced and we are fighting heavily to put this to an end.

Right now, [900 million]900 million us Dollars has been recovered from these fraudsters through our Intelligence network, and most suspects are still under our custody for proper investigations and trials. Your mail address has been found in our list of those that has been defrauded through some of these media, Account/bank transfer,dating and others. The bank transfer,and other means of sending money that has been sent so far to some country like London Ghana,Togo,Spain,South Africa and United States etc are being received here in our country by these scammers in the name of having transaction that you don't know about.You have approved to recieve back any sum of money that was scamed from you by any means.

An instruction has been giving that in no account should any money be paid to an individual through any means without a proper investigation. We have our agents in the bank all round the World with proper security to checkmate these scammers and any bank that goes contrary to our instruction will stand the risk of losing its certificate of accreditation.If this is true about you, do not border much because it is time for you to regain what you have lost .This wonderful compansetion program was introduced by the Economic Financial Of Crimes Commission(EFCC) and the FBI Washington DC.
All you need to do is to contact the head of verification department with this information below for further clarification and screening after which part of this money will be sent to you through any means which will be convenience for you as stated.
FULL NAME:
ADDRESS:
SEX:
MARITAL STATUS:
AMOUNT SCAMED FROM YOU:
PHONE NUMBER:
OFFICE OF VERIFICATION ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION
MR. Kelly Lyre Contact person
EMAIL:federal.investigation008@gmail.com
OFFICE PHONE: +234-8082554217

Sign
MR. Andrew Graig
[Chairman EFCC Republic of Nigeria]
NOTE; Contact the verification office as you were instructed to the email above. This payment has a limited time frame for funds dispatch. Your response is expected within 7 working days of receiving this notice.
BEST REGARDS

I have reported and sent this to the genuine FBI.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I think more people should surf using a proxy server.I think its quiet frightening when some sites welcome you with a message telling you the town you live in,

You should perhaps "Thank" those sites for bringing that to your attention.

That and much more is available from each and every site you visit on the Internet.

They all know your IP address, what browser and version you are using, what site you came from to get there, your monitor screen resolution, name of your Internet provider, what version of windows you are running, if you have javascript enabled, what plug-in's you have installed, etc.

Even with a proxy they will have just about all that information,
except perhaps your true IP address.

Proxies are a false security.

Think about it!

You send out a request to a site.
How do you think they get the information back to your computer?
There has to be a "track" back to you.........

The "Informational Highway" is a "Two-way" street.

Those "sites" showing you the city you live near, did you a public service.........
Made you aware that your information is readily available.

Don?t be frightened by those sites, worry about the ones that keep it secret.

Always amazes me that people will put down thoses that tell them the truth.

But don't worry, only your ISP has your actual physical address, supposedly. !!!!! :cool:

10qibex.gif

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
A poxy server could account for it, yes. ;)

So very true....

All information you enter will "PASS through the Proxy Site".
Any questionable site can capture your private data and steal it.

I have been testing hundreds of proxy sites because I wrote a small program that detects them without having to use a proxy list. So far it looks to be 100% accurate, ask "Steve" !!!! ;)

Hey, I have been retired 8 years or so from programming, I got bored.

The following is a copy of the message I got trying to use one proxy site.
Another one tried to download a file to my computer.

NOTE: Never click on any of the buttons, close out from the bottom menu on your screen. The button may not do what it "said" on the button.... It could just be asking permission to download in disguise.

6edfd2.jpg

10qibex.gif