Renewing Residency in Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The option of renewing residency at Migracion in Santiago is a blessing for those of us on the North Coast. True, it requires two trips to Santiago, one to apply and one to pick up the card, but the combined travel time is about the same as a round trip to Santo Domingo, you don't have to stay over night, no fighting the traffic in Santo Domingo, no expensive taxi fares to get to Inmigracion on the Malecon, and a hassle free application process that takes only a few minutes.

Migracion in Santigo is located on the second floor in a shopping plaza at the corner of 27 de Febrero and Avenida Texas. It is practically across the street from the second terminal of Caribe Tours when coming from Puerto Plata, and just a few steps further from the terminal of Metro that is located on the same street as the Caribe Tours Terminal. You can walk to Migracion from either terminal.

This morning I took the 8:20 Metro from Sosua and arrived at the Santiago Terminal at 10:20. The process of making application at Migracion took about 15 minutes, plus time spent getting to and from Migracion. I could have taken a Caribe Tour bus that leaves around 12, but chose to wait and take the 1:15 Metro to Sosua. I was back in Sosua by 3:20.

Supermercado Nacional is also in walking distance from Caribe Tours or Metro, so while waiting from the bus, you can stock up on things that cost more in Sosua or Puerto Plata. Or you can have lunch at the Burger King next to Metro or the Pollo Victorino across street from Caribe Tours.

To get to Migracion from either terminal, walk down the street to 27 de Febrero. This is the street the bus turned off to get to the terminal. Go left, toward the center of the city, on 27 de Febrero and cross over 27 de Febrero at the first opportunity. A short walk to Avenida Texas and you will see the strip shopping mall on one side and a large parking lot on the other. The mall fronts on 27 de Febrero. At the Av. Texas end, go to the second floor by elevator or walking up the ramp. You will see a sign indicating where Migracion is. When you get to the second floor, Migracion will be on your left. You can't miss the big sign on the window.

When you enter the office, you will se a 3 station stand up counter on your right. Go there to get the application form. The price is RD$40 for the form, best to have correct change.

Sit on one of the chairs to fill out the form, then take it to the small office next door. Walk out the first office, turn left, and the next door is where you go. This is the office of Indiana Pe?a, the person in charge of the department for foreigners. Give her the completed form, your present residency card, and RD$2,860 if you want normal service (2 weeks) or RD$3,860 if you want VIP service (1 week). She will give you a copy of the completed application form and a receipt for your payment. Again, do yourself a favor and have the correct change.

That's it. When the card is received by her from Santo Domingo, she will call you to pick it up.

If you want to contact her for any reason, her number is 809-971-1333. Because I am flying to US on 25th, I paid the extra RD$1,000 to be sure of having my card. She said if I don't get her call in a week to call her. She is very accommodating.

Supermercado Nacional is on 27 de Febrero, but in the other direction (toward away from the center of the city). But you can walk from Migracion to Nacional, and the walk to the bus terminal from Nacional is about the same as walking from the terminal to Migracion.

All in all, in was a pleasant experience. First time I have said that about renewing my residency.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Very useful and informative.......

........thanks for the info...........

Does anyone know how far IN ADVANCE you can apply to have your residency renewed? For example, if your expiration was 10/15 when is the earliest you can go and apply?

Thanks,

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The option of renewing residency at Migracion in Santiago is a blessing for those of us on the North Coast. True, it requires two trips to Santiago, one to apply and one to pick up the card, but the combined travel time is about the same as a round trip to Santo Domingo, you don't have to stay over night, no fighting the traffic in Santo Domingo, no expensive taxi fares to get to Inmigracion on the Malecon, and a hassle free application process that takes only a few minutes.

Migracion in Santigo is located on the second floor in a shopping plaza at the corner of 27 de Febrero and Avenida Texas. It is practically across the street from the second terminal of Caribe Tours when coming from Puerto Plata, and just a few steps further from the terminal of Metro that is located on the same street as the Caribe Tours Terminal. You can walk to Migracion from either terminal.

This morning I took the 8:20 Metro from Sosua and arrived at the Santiago Terminal at 10:20. The process of making application at Migracion took about 15 minutes, plus time spent getting to and from Migracion. I could have taken a Caribe Tour bus that leaves around 12, but chose to wait and take the 1:15 Metro to Sosua. I was back in Sosua by 3:20.

Supermercado Nacional is also in walking distance from Caribe Tours or Metro, so while waiting from the bus, you can stock up on things that cost more in Sosua or Puerto Plata. Or you can have lunch at the Burger King next to Metro or the Pollo Victorino across street from Caribe Tours.

To get to Migracion from either terminal, walk down the street to 27 de Febrero. This is the street the bus turned off to get to the terminal. Go left, toward the center of the city, on 27 de Febrero and cross over 27 de Febrero at the first opportunity. A short walk to Avenida Texas and you will see the strip shopping mall on one side and a large parking lot on the other. The mall fronts on 27 de Febrero. At the Av. Texas end, go to the second floor by elevator or walking up the ramp. You will see a sign indicating where Migracion is. When you get to the second floor, Migracion will be on your left. You can't miss the big sign on the window.

When you enter the office, you will se a 3 station stand up counter on your right. Go there to get the application form. The price is RD$40 for the form, best to have correct change.

Sit on one of the chairs to fill out the form, then take it to the small office next door. Walk out the first office, turn left, and the next door is where you go. This is the office of Indiana Pe?a, the person in charge of the department for foreigners. Give her the completed form, your present residency card, and RD$2,860 if you want normal service (2 weeks) or RD$3,860 if you want VIP service (1 week). She will give you a copy of the completed application form and a receipt for your payment. Again, do yourself a favor and have the correct change.

That's it. When the card is received by her from Santo Domingo, she will call you to pick it up.

If you want to contact her for any reason, her number is 809-971-1333. Because I am flying to US on 25th, I paid the extra RD$1,000 to be sure of having my card. She said if I don't get her call in a week to call her. She is very accommodating.

Supermercado Nacional is on 27 de Febrero, but in the other direction (toward away from the center of the city). But you can walk from Migracion to Nacional, and the walk to the bus terminal from Nacional is about the same as walking from the terminal to Migracion.

All in all, in was a pleasant experience. First time I have said that about renewing my residency.

Very good information, thank you!

I assume this is residency for 2 years more right? Assume, that your residency expired 2006 :surprised (but with cedula valid until 2010), what would the cost be? If you are a good friend to her, would you mind ask this hypothetical question?:ermm:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Very good information, thank you!

I assume this is residency for 2 years more right? Assume, that your residency expired 2006 :surprised (but with cedula valid until 2010), what would the cost be? If you are a good friend to her, would you mind ask this hypothetical question?:ermm:

Cedula has nothing to do with residency. A guesstimate for a residency expired in 2006 would be around 3500/4000.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And one day it'll be possible in Puerto Plata.......

Good info Ken.

North coast residents might also like to know that a new Migracion office has been opened at 93 Beller, Puerto Plata. It will be possible for expats to renew their residencias at this office but..............not yet! I visited a couple of weeks ago to inquire as to when & found myself conducting a poll of office staff and officials which turned out to be more like an auction as different bids were made and guestimates speculated. :cheeky: 'In one month' seemed a trifle optimistic. Going on hunch alone maybe 'before the end of the year' is more realistic. 2008 that is. Telephone 809-261-1618 and join in the bidding fray.

If enough expats telephone we might achieve a more rapid result via the annoyance method! Once they realise there is a real demand for this service the act might be got together more speedily!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good news, Lambada. POP even better. Even on Dominican time, should be open by the time I'm ready for next renewal in 2010 ;)

As Eddy said, cedula is a different matter whether you renew residency in Santiago or Santo Dominigo. Migracion handles residency, the central election board does the cedulas.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Update....on cost of Renewals.........

Not sure if Ken was just mistaken, or they just liked him and charged him more........

Renewed our residencia's today.............

15 minutes in and out..........

Cost: $2380. for regular service

and

$3380.00 for VIP.....................Am definately sure, cause I had the amount that Ken said in his post ready and they gave me back the change.............I am also sitting here looking at my receipt and it says "$3,380.00 por concepto de: Renovacion V.I.P. de la tarjeta de residencia definitiva".........

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i deposited my residency papers a LONG time ago in Santiago.
now, i know i should have used a lawyer, but frankly, i've not got the money for it and we don't know any lawyers willing to help out.
so i did all the leg work my self.
la licenciada indiana told me my paperwork would be done in three months, and if she didn't call me by thisdate then i should call her. so i did. and every time i talked to her there was a different story. my paper work was lost. it was still in santo domingo. she was sending the messenger to find it tomorrow. SHE was going tomorrow.
7 months later she tells me "i've figured out the problem with your paperwork. the good conduct letter is expired."
what?
well, yah, it's only good for three months, so it expired back when i HAD STARTED CALLING asking about my papers. she just gave me the run around.

i know i need to get it, but i still don't have residency because i don't think i've got it in me to go through that again.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Update.....................

i deposited my residency papers a LONG time ago in Santiago.
now, i know i should have used a lawyer, but frankly, i've not got the money for it and we don't know any lawyers willing to help out.
so i did all the leg work my self.
la licenciada indiana told me my paperwork would be done in three months, and if she didn't call me by thisdate then i should call her. so i did. and every time i talked to her there was a different story. my paper work was lost. it was still in santo domingo. she was sending the messenger to find it tomorrow. SHE was going tomorrow.
7 months later she tells me "i've figured out the problem with your paperwork. the good conduct letter is expired."
what?
well, yah, it's only good for three months, so it expired back when i HAD STARTED CALLING asking about my papers. she just gave me the run around.

i know i need to get it, but i still don't have residency because i don't think i've got it in me to go through that again.

Not sure if Ken was just mistaken, or they just liked him and charged him more........

Renewed our residencia's today.............

15 minutes in and out..........

Cost: $2380. for regular service

and

$3380.00 for VIP.....................Am definately sure, cause I had the amount that Ken said in his post ready and they gave me back the change.............I am also sitting here looking at my receipt and it says "$3,380.00 por concepto de: Renovacion V.I.P. de la tarjeta de residencia definitiva".........

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

...........well, maybe Santiago wasn't such a good idea................

I paid for the VIP service and still 2 weeks later no renewal. The plastic machine in Santo Domingo broke, the messenger forgot the packages and SHE is going there tomorrow to pick them up..............

.............they will call and if I don't answer the phone they will leave a message...........WHICH ISN'T possible, since my Codetel voicemail won't answer although Codetel has "fixed" it for me almost everyday in the last 3 weeks.............IT WILL WORK IN 15 minutes...............so in 15 minutes, yes, my voicemail "secret code" is back to the default, but when you call the number and don't answer it still says, the number is unavailable and falls to a busy signal.............AND each time I call, JUST TO ASK THEM TO FIX MY VOICEMAIL...........I have to supply them with the following security information:

1. my cedula
2. mother's name
3. fathers name
4. where do i get my bills
5. how many phones with a "factura" do i have in my name
6. date of birth.......
.........and you have to try to give them all this information as they ask you, while you listen to screaming, clapping, yelling etc in the background.........all the "professional" stuff you expect on a business line..........

OH, and btw, my credit card from Scotia Bank IS NOT in Puerto Plata and IS NOT in Santo Domingo..............so they are doing an investigation on that too.................

SOME DAYS..........................AH, FORGET IT...............:
bunny::bunny:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Finally arrived.............

...............on 10/30/08..............

16 days.........VIP service.................. with all the delays etc.....

Better than traveling to Santo Domingo I guess................as long as you don't NEED the card for anything...............

POPBadBoy.........

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Another Santiago Residency Update.............

...............on 10/30/08..............

16 days.........VIP service.................. with all the delays etc.....

Better than traveling to Santo Domingo I guess................as long as you don't NEED the card for anything...............

POPBadBoy.........

Well, you'd think I would have learned after being here for more than 15 years NEVER to say anything til it's in your hand.................

.......I forgot to give you the final update regarding picking up my "residency renewal card"................

A. I went back to the SAME office to see Indiana Pena to pick up the card........There are 4 people in the front office and when you ask for Indiana the expression on all of their faces was like they just smelled a pile of "sh*t"!! "Indiana Pena doesn't work here!, why are you asking for her??" they asked.............in spanish of course...........

B. After looking at the "receipt" to pick up the card, they now say that the correct office is now located in another unit in the same building...........

C. Went there, only down the hall, but a different unit than where it was just a few weeks ago, and you'll find one person at a desk..........she takes the paper..............makes a few faces about Indiana and then gets about 5 people who take about 45 minutes to "find" my renewal..............

Once found.............I signed, grabbed it, said "hasta la Vista" and left.........

All in all, I think the prior years of renewing it in Santo Domingo, although a much further trip, is probably a better "certain" option.............if you don't like to deal with "uncertainity".........

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I never had any of those problems with mine in July of this year in Santiago.

I did not pay for VIP, just paid $2,380, they told me one week.
Turned out to be a little over 2 weeks, they called me, I went and picked it up.

Nice thing about the delay was that it was dated the day before I picked up the card.
So I gained a couple weeks on renewal date.

The government still owes me a month or so on my Carry Permit, will extend that one each year by a few days or so until I get back the lost time.

Looks like the Driver's License is the only one you can count on for renewal date, since it is always on your birthday. ;) lol (I think the Cedula may be on birthday also)

Don - SantiagoDR

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I never had any of those problems with mine in July of this year in Santiago.

Don - SantiagoDR

EXACTLY.............and neither did KEN in September..............

...........When I went to apply, it was exactly like KEN said, but that process of being "easy" sure went by the wayside FAST...........

.............and Indiana Pena and the office she was in is already gone!!!!!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
She moved to the main office next door - I saw her there on the the 7th.

AS of YESTERDAY, 11/18/2008 SHE IS ****NOT**** THERE ANY LONGER..............THAT'S WHEN I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO PICKING UP THE CARD SINCE I WENT TO THE US FOR 2 WEEKS.

..........AND IF YOU MENTION HER NAME...........WELL I ALREADY SAID IT.............

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And HERE is the BAD news ...............................

For those of you who have Permanent Residecia it is now necessary to visit Santo Domingo once again for one more trip - The photographs of you held on their computer system .......... have been DESTROYED 2 weeks ago by someone or something!! (Back-ups not kept??? Fantastic security M'thinks!!) :ermm:

I wanted to renew mine & was waiting for the Puerto Plata office to get into full swing - WRONG decision. Now instead of being able to go to the Puerto Plata office (still not ready anyway) or going down to Santiago, I have to go all the way to Santo Domingo so that they can take another photo of my beautiful features. So, please ensure you go before early December (which us when I intend going) otherwise Santo Domingo will be advising you of 'Broken Cameras!!

Looks like you in many ways 'You Got Lucky' Pop Bad Boy!!! ~ Grahame.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AS of YESTERDAY, 11/18/2008 SHE IS ****NOT**** THERE ANY LONGER..............THAT'S WHEN I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO PICKING UP THE CARD SINCE I WENT TO THE US FOR 2 WEEKS.

..........AND IF YOU MENTION HER NAME...........WELL I ALREADY SAID IT.............

Phew, I was worried - Lic. Indiana is indeed gone, but has a replacement, Lic. Carina - I will see her tomorrow.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Does anyone have an update if it is still Santo Domingo or is it again possible in Santiago for the residency renewal.
Thanks

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
*ollocks

Having not read Bushbaby's thread I've just returned from Santiago having wasted my entire morning. It is just too fantastic to think that they've lost all the computer pictures of EVERYONE but it seems that this is indeed the case.

So a difinitive update:

You can still go to Santiago. They will charge $100 pesos for the application form, a further $2500 pesos for the renewal and then a further $250 pesos for every month or part thereof beyond your current residency expiry date. They will then forward the documents to Santo Domingo, where they will be processed and sent back to Santiago. You then have to return to Santiago to pick up the information which you then have to take to Santo Domingo in order to have your photograph taken again.

One other thing: Having watched the young lady skillfully fold the receipt, clip it to a copy of my application and then hand it to me I forgot to check the amount written on it which is magically six hundred pesos short of what I actually paid.

Has it crossed anyone's mind why it was that they had us all back to the town hall late last year to renew our Cedulars? I wonder how many records were lost - perhaps the problem runs far deeper than just Gringo's and their residency?