Jarabacoa Golf Club

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It?s been REALLY wet up here for a few weeks, and between the weather and our tours, we haven?t had a chance to burn any worms on the links (and couldn?t make it for the Charity golf event at Playa Dorado :(). But this morning, even though overcast, looked promising, so Alida and I headed out to Campo de Golf in Jarabacoa, our local course.

This is a fine little course, 9 holes with displaced tee boxes, making 18. I?m told it?s the only ?mountain? course in all of the Antilles, literally carved out of some rugged hills. It?s a modest course as far as amenities go, but fairly inexpensive to play, and big bang-for-the-buck in fun. It?s also a very unforgiving course, with some brutal bunkers, narrow fairways and steeply elevated greens. Some of the low-handicap local members I play with don?t even have a driver in their bag.

Carts are available, but I love walking 9 holes more than riding 18. Great exercise and a beautiful environment.

I took some pics of the holes, except one-it started to rain on the way to the 7th tee, and I forgot. Mea Culpa.

Directions: drive toward Jarabacoa from the autopista, and prior to getting to Jarabacoa turn left @ the signs for Salto Jimenoa and Campa de Golf, turn left again at the Salto and Campo signs, and go about ? mile. The entrance is on your left.

You come through entrance and see the ?Clubhouse? on the left (it?s really more of an open bar/snack shop with banos):
Clubhouse.jpg

The Starter/Caddy Shack:
StarterShack.jpg

Taso is the guy in charge there, and will set you up well.

Some pics of the course, with some arrows added so you can see the location of the holes (that?s Alida in some of the pics, doing well as a new golfer):

First hole, a 140yd. Par 3, down toward a ravine with a death sand trap on the right (can?t be seen in the pic):
1stHole.jpg

Second hole, 358yd. Par 4 with a really narrow fairway. Men?s teebox is steeply elevated, and the fairway sort of twists left then right then left, with a bunker right in front and left. This is my consistently worst hole, but today I did OK, got a 5:
2ndHole.jpg

Third hole, a 285yd. Par 4, with a 90 degree right, steep downhill dogleg about 150 yards from the tees. I try to go over the trees on the right from the tee. Great if you make it, not so great if you don?t clear them, sort of feast or famine. From the teebox:
3rdHole.jpg

The dogleg:
3rdHolerightdogleg.jpg

Fourth hole, a 147yd. Par 3, downhill to a deep ravine, then uphill with jungle on the right, and bunkers on the left:
4thHole.jpg

Fifth hole, 471yd. Par 5, straight with rolling hills, tight out of bounds on the right side, and pinched fairway, two bunkers defending the green. One of the few holes you can whack a driver:
5thHole.jpg

Sixth hole, 276yd. Par 4, downhill with a slight right curve. You can?t see the green from this pic (except the arrow), but the green is elevated and drops off to jungle to the left, sand on the right/front, really unforgiving:
6thHole.jpg

It started to rain, and I forgot to snap the 7th hole. But it?s a 374yd. Par 4, uphill to a left dogleg about 160 yds., then downhill to a steeply elevated, sloped green-from-hell. A true love/hate hole.

Eighth hole, 386yd, Par 4, fairly straight with a full tilt to the left, sharply elevated but flat green. Bring your driver for this one:
8thHole.jpg

Ninth hole, 474yd. Par 5, a really great and challenging hole. It?s straight. That?s the easy part. Slam away. But it goes right uphill from the teebox (you need to get the ball UP) about 180 yards, flattens out for 100 yards?then drops very steeply 40-50 feet of elevation?only to go right up hill, steeply, 40 feet elevation. You don?t make the green on your approach, it?s gonna roll all the way down again. GREAT hole, a fun way to finish the course. From the teebox, doesn?t show the steepness:
9thHole.jpg

Looking down/up at the green after the flat top. This pic does NOT show the radical elevation changes well:
9thHolefromtop.jpg

All in all, a fine gem of a little course, carved out of some gorgeous mountainous terrain. Very friendly staff and caddies, and a great time for golfers. Few folks play in the mornings when we usually play and can take our time. No real need for a tee time, I don't even know if they take them.

vanelicious

Feb 8, 2009
Thank you so much for your review and your wonderful pictures.
I've never had the opportunity to play golf in DR and I was very excited to hear about the golf course in Jarabacoa, since I was born and raised there. I currently live in the US and I'm planning a trip there this summer. I will definately go and try it..
Thanks again for your review it was very helpful.

Vanessa

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hmmmm.
Didn't see this report first time round for some reason. It only clicked as having to have been made sometime ago when I realised that you couldn't have played in the last week or so due to all the rain we have been experiencing.

I have seen a grown man (with a beard) brought to tears by 5 putting that first hole!! No.s 7 & 9 are pretty much the same ALL DOWNHILL & CROSSHILL SHARPLY once you get out of position (which I normally do!!). :eek:gre:

The silence around the course is DEAFENING & truly a golfers dream. With decent company, a beer or two in the clubhouse, a stop for a mouthwatering freshly smoked pork sandwich (with a beer or two & one to go) make the mountainous road journey ALL very worthwhile.

NICE report Cobraboy ~ Grahame.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Cobraboy, I understand that you live in Jarabacoa. I have a lot of land in Buena Vista where I plan to build a villa and retire to the sound of birds and
plants. Perhaps we'll share a cold presidente someday and talk about my project.. cheers

zeus;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd be up for a charity tourney or DR1 golf outing at JGC this spring. I might possibly be able to arrange discounts for hotels for folks wanting to spend the night in "God's Hammock".

Any interest?

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Very nice review.
I really enjoyed that.
Hopefully someday I can play this fun little course. It looks and sounds beautiful.