Dominican restaurant or hair salon in Ottawa (or Montreal)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
First of all, I looked and didn't find an answer to my questions so if there's an answer to it and I didn't get it because I used the wrong keywords, I apologize and hope that you point me to the right thread.

I was wondering if there's any Dominican restaurants in Ottawa or Montreal. Also if there's a Dominican hair dresser or salon.

TIA

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
In Montreal-

mariel,

There are many Dominican owned businesses in Montreal especially in Montreal North and East.

I am not a restaurant fan but I can tell you for quick take out there's a Dominican restaurant inside Supermarch? Estofa on 7478 St.-Hubert Street. I was there about two weeks ago. The food is not bad. I give it a 3.5 rating. Restaurant Sos?a which was a gem closed over a year ago.

As for hair salons there are many. Two that I can recommend because my friends go there are:

1/ Coiffure Carolina on 127 Rue Jean-Talon Ouest owned by a very nice young Dominican hairstylist.

2/ Coiffure Estrella on 6450 Rue St.-Laurent owned by a friendly Dominican lady as well who gets a lot of business too and is not located too far from the salon I mentioned above.

As well, see my posts in this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/38955-dominican-stuff-montreal.html

-LDG.

Last edited:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks for that thread!

Is the Estofa site working for you? estofa3 - it doesn't work here and I wanted to take a look at what they sell at the supermarket and the restaurant. Anyway, if their restaurant isn't that good, do they cater to Latino/Dominican people? Or do you know where I can buy a Presidente or even guavas (big craving for any of those here)

kateinottawa

May 5, 2008
Hi Mariel,

I'm in Ottawa, and I can tell you we don't have any Dominican restaurants here. You could go to a carribean restaurant (we have a couple of those) if you are looking for plantano or chicharron, but that's pretty much it.

Kate

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
mariel-

I don't know if Supermarch? Estofa has a website at least not for the restaurant. That may not be their website that you linked. The store caters to Latinos and sells Latino products. In terms of guava, I can't remember but just go to another Latin store if they don't have any. There are so many. Here's one that I go to and they have everything. Supermarch? Latino 436 B?langer (on the corner of St.-Denis). (514-277-4130). Sorry no Presidente in Montreal.

-LDG.

Thanks for that thread!

Is the Estofa site working for you? estofa3 - it doesn't work here and I wanted to take a look at what they sell at the supermarket and the restaurant. Anyway, if their restaurant isn't that good, do they cater to Latino/Dominican people? Or do you know where I can buy a Presidente or even guavas (big craving for any of those here)

Last edited:

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
closest place for Presidente in Ottawa is Rochester New York. I think the name of the store is World of Beers, something like that.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Plenty hair salons in Ontario, as well as restaurants that cater to our taste buds there...

In Ottawa there are some restaurants for Dominicans too, as my nephew did go to a few of them there. I'll get in touch with him and see if he could provide some directions to at least one of them!

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
latin hair salon in lasalle, quebec (montreal)

anyone know if there is a latin (style/speaking) hair salon in lasalle area. kind of far to trek to other side of the city. thanks.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Jasper.... what do you consider the other side of the city?

I have never seen one nor heard mention of one in Lasalle but you are not really that far away from Montreal on a day when the traffic is smooth especially early in the morning on the weekends. Most of the good or popular Dominican salons are in the Jean-Talon Ouest- Beaubien area. I know four of the popular ones and are recommended by friends as well.

I posted two in the forum and in this thread before that are popular:

1/ Coiffure Carolina on Jean-Talon Ouest.

Coiffure Carolina, 127 Rue Jean-Talon Ouest, Montr?al, Quebec, H2R 2W9, 514-274-4545

-this is a popular Dominican hair salon. The stylist is young and well-recommended.

2/ Salon Estrella on St. Laurent @Beaubien

COIFFURE UNISEX ESTRELLA, 6450 Boul Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QC H2S 3C4

-they are the competition of the salon above. They also hold their own clientele although Coiffure Carolina has the edge.

3/ Salon de Coiffure Quisqueya on Beaubien

43 Rue Beaubien Est
Montreal, QC H2S 1P7
(514) 750-7212

-I have not heard anything about this salon nor have I been I just noticed it last time I was in the area.

4/ Also there is a salon on De Castelnau (off St. Laurent) going east before you get to Rue Lajeunesse.

-same as above I noticed it about a month ago when I was driving by in that area.

-Marianopolita.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
tipico dominicano- montreal

hi! we mentioned this restaurant a while back, just wanted tolet fellow
montrealers know we went back a second time, and this time had the fried fish.

It was amazing, and very big! definitely worth checking out

7086 A boul St laurent
514-271-8282
"bigbellyandrea" Sosuadominicanrepublic group

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm for ottawa, can't think of any restaurants, you can get mexican, el salvadorian, but dominican - maybe there's a place that has 1 dish - or you can get similar plates at one of the Caribbean places. As for salons, don't know any, but I do know a guy that does brades n' fades for guys.