Post Office to send envelope to US?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi

I'll be in Santo Domingo in October and want to send something hopefully via mail like Global Express or Priority Mail to the US? Is this possible and reliable from SD? (I'm from the North Coast and mail is not an option there)

Also, can you be specific. Would I have to go to a post office to do so and are they easy to find? I'll be staying somewhere near the San Souci Port - don't know where yet. Or can I prepare the envelope from the states and then just put it in a mailbox?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rio

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Just use Fed Ex or UPS to send it from SD, don?t trust the Dominican post office service for such thing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hi

I'll be in Santo Domingo in October and want to send something hopefully via mail like Global Express or Priority Mail to the US? Is this possible and reliable from SD? (I'm from the North Coast and mail is not an option there)

Also, can you be specific. Would I have to go to a post office to do so and are they easy to find? I'll be staying somewhere near the San Souci Port - don't know where yet. Or can I prepare the envelope from the states and then just put it in a mailbox?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rio
If you decide to mail it via the Dominican postal system, make sure you put enough stamps to cover the cost, if not; your mail will not be delivered and it may not be returned to you, especially if you don't have a P.O. Box at the post office where you send your mail from.

Do mail your stuff at the post office.

The last document I got via the Dominican postal service cost about 203 pesos (15 RD$13 stamps, 1 RD$6 stamp, and 2 RD$1 stamp) and took 2 weeks to arrive in the US. The express service would had been much faster, but its much more expensive.

Many people still don't trust the Dominican postal service, but nowadays its more a perception problem than reality. Many Dominican companies use the Dominican postal service to mail documents and/or their products. Service has improved a lot recently.

Regarding finding a post office, go to the main one in Centro de los H?roes - the area where congress and the senate meet, the supreme court is located, etc. One of those concrete buildings is the main post office.

-NALs

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll reconsider how I send something - maybe use Fedex or UPS - except they're so expensive.

Anyone ever use DHL? That's what I use in the states and they're less than the other two.

And I did send a book from NY regular mail to SD and it was received in good order about a week later - actually surprised me.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Sure it is

If you decide to mail it via the Dominican postal system, make sure you put enough stamps to cover the cost, if not; your mail will not be delivered and it may not be returned to you, especially if you don't have a P.O. Box at the post office where you send your mail from.

Do mail your stuff at the post office.

The last document I got via the Dominican postal service cost about 203 pesos (15 RD$13 stamps, 1 RD$6 stamp, and 2 RD$1 stamp) and took 2 weeks to arrive in the US. The express service would had been much faster, but its much more expensive.

Many people still don't trust the Dominican postal service, but nowadays its more a perception problem than reality. Many Dominican companies use the Dominican postal service to mail documents and/or their products. Service has improved a lot recently.

Regarding finding a post office, go to the main one in Centro de los H?roes - the area where congress and the senate meet, the supreme court is located, etc. One of those concrete buildings is the main post office.

-NALs

Yes thats why all the companys have couriers for local delivery. you know telecable, codetel, banco popular, etc. Don't know any one of them that use/trust the dominican postal for local delivery, but SURE they are ok for something important, international????. I have not seen a postal delevery for at least a year. Your telling them to go to the main because you know that anyplace else it wont get that far. An I quit holding my breath some years ago for stuff that was sent to a mailbox.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll reconsider how I send something - maybe use Fedex or UPS - except they're so expensive.

Anyone ever use DHL? That's what I use in the states and they're less than the other two.

And I did send a book from NY regular mail to SD and it was received in good order about a week later - actually surprised me.

I've used DHL to send to Los Angeles - I believe it arrived within 2-3 days, don't remember. It cost me about $40 to send a few documents.

I've had 3 letters sent to me via US-to-Dominican post office - none have ever been delivered to me - 1 was returned to sender and 2 are still in limbo. I need to head over to Centro de los H?roes and find out what's up with that - my room-mate did receive a letter from South America last year but mine don't seem to make it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bienamor said:
Yes thats why all the companys have couriers for local delivery. you know telecable, codetel, banco popular, etc.
Try this, go to this website Revista Mercado, initiate the subscription process and see the options they give you when mailing their products, regardless if its sending their product domestically and internationally.

If you want for me to tell you what other companies send their documents via INPOSDOM, let me know; I'll gladly supply the information.

bienamor said:
I have not seen a postal delevery for at least a year.
I've been receiving postal delivery all year long, the most recent one arrive a week ago. And, this one was sent international using regular Dominican postal service. :surprised

bienamor said:
Your telling them to go to the main because you know that anyplace else it wont get that far.
I'm telling the OP to go to the main one because he/she said he/she will be in SD in October and I don't know in what part of town he/she will be staying to suggest the closest post office to his hotel/friends house/etc.

bienamor said:
An I quit holding my breath some years ago for stuff that was sent to a mailbox.
I "quit holding my breath" years ago... until I started to receive mail again with no problems and in a timely manner. :surprised

And apparently, I'm not the only one that have gotten good service from INPOSDOM.

Here is an interesting entry in a blog regarding the US government sending an important document to the DR via INPOSDOM, and INPOSDOM doing what was necessary to ensure that the mail would arrive in one piece:
Hoy me he llevado una muy grata sorpresa que me ha hecho callarme la boca sobre INPOSDOM (Instituto Postal Dominicano)...

El sobre estaba plastificado "Qu? profesionales son en Estados Unidos con las cartas importantes" pens?. Pero cuando le di la vuelta, me qued? boquiabierto cuando le? "Estimado usuario, Su carta lleg? en mal estado desde el extranjero. Para proteger su inviolabilidad hasta que llegue a su poder, ha sido colocada en este sobre pl?stico" y firmado por un empleado de IMPOSDOM.

Me quito el sombrero ante ?ste instituto y el trato que dan a las cartas. Se merecen un 10.

Source

Here is another entry, this time done right here on DR1 in another thread by NotLurking regarding his/her experience with INPOSDOM:

I'm also VERY impressed with the service currently being offered by INPOSDOM!!! I've been using the DR postal service without any problems since Jan. 2007. I've received an assortment of plastic and other miscellaneous laptop replacement parts shipped via INTERNATIONAL - USPS Global Priority from Impact Computers (Florida, USA). My packages are usually delivered to my home in SD in about 7-10 business days. I haven't lost a packages yet.

I've also received packages through DR Postal Service from different countries shipped using International Global Priority or the equivalent. For example, I ordered a Spectec SD 802.11b Wifi card for my Samsung I700 PDA about 1 year ago from a distributor in China (Taiwan or Hong Kong can't remember) and it was delivered in about 15 days for ~US$10 in shipping.

INTERNATIONAL - Global Priority using DR's Postal Service (INPOSDOM) is not bad for a shipping charge usually less than US$20 and I have found it to be reliable for package valued under US$200.

NotLurking
Source

This is what the US Embassy in Santo Domingo requires when someone wants to send something to them from the DR:

To send us documents from the Dominican Republic, you must use INPOSDOM.

Source

Here is the headline of a recent news article regarding INPOSDOM and an agreement they made with the American company Laparkan:

New company to ship from U.S. to Dominican Republic

Source

Like I said before, INPOSDOM main issue is its perception, not its reality. People think it has not changed, but in fact it has and today its much more reliable; being used by an ever increasing number of people and companies; including the US government when sending something from the US to the DR or viceversa.

-NALs

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I had a package of cosmetics sent by Registered Post from Hong Kong a couple of months ago.

It was delivered to my door (in Santo Domingo) 7 days after I placed the order by the local postal service.

The only thing I was careful about was making sure the value of the package was less than US$200 so that there were no Customs Duties.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
On another note, I'm sending a box of books from NY to Santo Domingo - my post office said to use Priority Mail International Flat Rate Box up to 20# and it takes about 7-10 working days. I have plenty of time to send it - and am hoping to be able to put a tracker on it as well. Anyone had experience doing this?

Thanks
Ro

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Nals

Just keep telling us how good it is, and I will believe it when I see the major companys using it to send their bills out. Why not try using the trash bin (i mean postal drop on El Conde).

mean while I will ask the daughter to ship the pictures of her 2mo old, who is now 5 again, maybe I will get them this time.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Nals........

Quote: This is what the US Embassy in Santo Domingo requires when someone wants to send something to them from the DR:
Quote:
To send us documents from the Dominican Republic, you must use INPOSDOM.

........we have sent docs a few times to the US Embassy from Puerto Plata via FEDEX...wouldn't do it any other way....the site is misleading............even though it tells you to use INPOSDOM..........at the very bottom it give another address if you use a private mailing service.............and it is separate from the directions of using FEDEX/UPS/DHL from the US..........

poppypetal0

Nov 6, 2009
Postal Service

Hi, i sent some documents to Santo Domingo using the priority (signed for) postal service from the UK. It hasn't arrived yet, and although it is only a day late i would like to check up on it. I could only track it until it reached the destination country. Could anyone give me any advice regarding this? Where i can call etc.

Thanks x

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Hi, i sent some documents to Santo Domingo using the priority (signed for) postal service from the UK. It hasn't arrived yet, and although it is only a day late i would like to check up on it. I could only track it until it reached the destination country. Could anyone give me any advice regarding this? Where i can call etc.

Thanks x

Was the delivery made??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've used the US Post Office to send small packages to DR several times - and to two DR1ers [jrhartley and mountainannie] and they've all been delivered. jr's went to a business in Sosua, annie's went right to her apartment door in Santo Domingo.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I had a good experience sending something from the DR to the US using their Express service. It arrived within a few days.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
To update my original post...I used the US PO to send boxes of books as well as correspondence to SD, no problem. However, I would be reticent to do the same for Sosua. I am most interested in how to send from the DR to the US - preferably not having to use Fedex or UPS Brown but do want it to get there in a timely fashion. Suggestions?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When it absolutely, positively has to get there DO NOT USE the Dominican Postal System. If it is an important document then you Fed-Ex, UPS or DHL. Yes it will cost more but you are guaranteed IT WILL SHOW UP in about 5-7 days. Don't be pound wise and penny foolish.

S

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To update my original post...I used the US PO to send boxes of books as well as correspondence to SD, no problem. However, I would be reticent to do the same for Sosua. I am most interested in how to send from the DR to the US - preferably not having to use Fedex or UPS Brown but do want it to get there in a timely fashion. Suggestions?

If you search the archives, you will find several fairly recent threads about using the Dominican post office to send to the US, with some positive reports by people who have done that.

I am one of them. The post office has two options, regular or Express. Use the Express though it is more expensive. The items sent by Express are insured if you are sending something other than letters.

In the event you are sending something of value that you want insured, don't seal the package before taking it to the post office. the clerk will want to see what you are sending to be sure your insured valued is legitimate.

I ordered something from the US that was defective and sent it back via the post office because. It was expensive, but less than the others. I was told it would get to the recipient within 6 days and it was delivered in less than that.

I have reason to believe that items sent by Express from Sosua actually go to the US by EPS, even though you cannot directly sent something to the US by EPS.