Transportation from PUJ to Santo Domingo

Mriveraq

Sep 16, 2008
I am going to Santo Domingo on Nov. arriving to Punta Cana in a Saturday around 4:30 PM and I need to go to Santo Domingo same day. Some "travel agencies" are asking me 350US to 420US for roundtrip. I need to know if there is an alternative to those "vampires" waiting to suck tourist money?
Thanks for your help dear traveleres.
Spanish version:
Estare llegando a Punta Cana un Sabado de noviembre alrededor de las 4:30 pm y necesito transportarme hasta Sto Domingo. Algunas compa?ias llamadas agencias de viaje me han pedido entre 350 hasta 420 us por el viaje ida y vuelta. Quisiera saber si hay alguna alternativa para evitar caer en las redes de los vampiros que esperan a sus victimas en el Aeropuerto?-
Gracias

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You will be too late for the last express bus to Santo Domingo that leaves at 4pm. You also have to give yourself at least an hour to get out of the airport. So, while you could get a bus to Higuey, at that time (about 7pm) there are no longer commuter buses that travel to Santo Domingo either. It is about a 4 hour trip.

The recommendation would be for you to overnight and then take a 7am express bus to Santo Domingo. The buses leave on time. You could take it from the Veron stop or the Fruisa stop. Costs less than US$10.

The fee for a car rental should be about US$75 per day. But for those who do not know it can be a stressful drive. If you are not rushed, then it can be a fun trip, but definitely not one to make at night.

Mriveraq

Sep 16, 2008
Any hotel reccomendation close to Veron Stop or Fuisa Stop???
Thanks Dolores for your info, I was thinking about that option too.
Mauricio

Feb 7, 2007
So, while you could get a bus to Higuey, at that time (about 7pm) there are no longer commuter buses that travel to Santo Domingo either. It is about a 4 hour trip.

Last bus for SD (from Higuey) leaves at 8 pm. But it may leave a little bit early if it fills up. If you are in Higuey at 7pm you still can get on the 7.30 and 8pm buses. 8 pm bus gets to SD at 10.15-10.30 pm

Feb 7, 2007
Any hotel reccomendation close to Veron Stop or Fuisa Stop???
Thanks Dolores for your info, I was thinking about that option too.
Mauricio

You better take the bus to Higuey and stay in Higuey, hotel Don Carlos is about US$30 per night and is a very decent hotel. You will be 5 mins from the bus stop, right across from famous basilica, so you can even visit one tourist landmark in the morning before you hop on the SD bus.

Feb 7, 2007
I am going to Santo Domingo on Nov. arriving to Punta Cana in a Saturday around 4:30 PM and I need to go to Santo Domingo same day. Some "travel agencies" are asking me 350US to 420US for roundtrip. I need to know if there is an alternative to those "vampires" waiting to suck tourist money?

Sorry to say but the prices are really not that out-of-the-way.

A taxi (not a tourist taxi) called in from Higuey would charge you at least US$150 one-way to SD. An Airport taxi would charge you about 50% more. So you are at US$300 round-trip and more. Considering travel agencies have to make money and pay their staff, US$ 350 to US$ 420 round-trip is a regular price.
Gas and diesel prices are way over the roof....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Last bus for SD (from Higuey) leaves at 8 pm. But it may leave a little bit early if it fills up. If you are in Higuey at 7pm you still can get on the 7.30 and 8pm buses. 8 pm bus gets to SD at 10.15-10.30 pm

If it leaves Higuey at 8pm and gets to SD at 10.15-10.30pm, then the bus must be doing more than 150kms per hour!

Anyway, I would be wary of taking a bus to SD from Higuey at 8pm, unless must be done.

I would think it could not be done in less than 3 hours, putting you in after 11pm.

Better to overnight, and leave the next day. At least a night in Punta Cana is well worth the expense.

Feb 7, 2007
If it leaves Higuey at 8pm and gets to SD at 10.15-10.30pm, then the bus must be doing more than 150kms per hour!

Not really. Higuey (Basilica) - where the bus terminal is -> to SD (Elevado) is 158 kms. That leaves the average speed at 70 kmph.

Better to overnight, and leave the next day. At least a night in Punta Cana is well worth the expense.

If the OP arrives at PUJ at 4.30 pm, is out of the airport at 5.30 pm, gets to the hotel at 6pm, check-in-and-everything it's 6.30 pm. Just the time for a diner and a drink, and then a one-way-trip trip to the bedroom, sure the OP will be tired after a flight. Then getting up early in the morning to go to SD. I don't really see a Punta Cana experience in that which would warrant such an expense. Would the OP stay 2 or 3 days that's a different story, but I would never ever overnight in Punta Cana / Bavaro just for the sake of it, and then hit the road in the morning. Way too expensive. The OP would not get any decent hotel for under 100 USD per night plus the taxi in the morning, we are talking about at least US$ 125. For 100 less she can have a very decent hotel in Higuey, which more than suffices for overnighting.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Rubio,
just for a nighttimes sleep PC is way too expensive.
Higuey is the much better option, and in the morning you are right at the bus station, no additional taxies aso needed, and the cabbies in PC aren?t cheap, the times where you grabbed a cabby for 15 bucks are over since a while.
and correct, a transfer from PC airport to St Dgo costs as a roundtrip $300.- when prearranged with a driver waiting for you at customs, sign with your name in his hands, he will speak english and stop on the way when ever you need to grab a drink or some food or a bathroom. you can request such with Bronly on info@ibkservicios.com , i use their services for my own business, very reliable.
if that?s out of the budget the advice of Rubio is the way to go.
a night in Higuey and taking the bus in the morning is hassle free and brings you a step closer to the DR.
have fun
Mike

motorpsycho

Sep 20, 2008
You better take the bus to Higuey and stay in Higuey, hotel Don Carlos is about US$30 per night and is a very decent hotel. You will be 5 mins from the bus stop, right across from famous basilica, so you can even visit one tourist landmark in the morning before you hop on the SD bus.
thanks, sounds like a good advice. i'm in a similar situation, arr. 15.50.
any more detailed info on the bus to Higuey ? (or is it easy as pie, just step out of the AP, bus leaves every hour for 100 pesos or so..). are there direct buses from the airport to any other destinations?
also is Higuey a good place to rent a motorbike?

Last edited: