Education in the DR

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Some of you are familiar with past postings I made here regarding the future of Education in the DR...

I posted on the plan to move large parts of the education system on-line via the use of wireless networks and loaned laptops to students, so that educators can reach the students in their homes and be more effective in using 21st century technology as well.

As I indicated before in those posts, one of the major companies the DR was engaged with to this end was Microsoft. Today was made public part of the plan in the news via the signing of the accord of the DR and Microsoft Dominicana.

This step, with little major notice on the plan, will become the stepping stone to our education system. The plan is to be rolled out by stages, being 2015 the year that all education will be conducted via electronic means in the DR.

The Education dept will soon have a budget supplied under a new Law that will automatically provide a % of the national budget to it regardless of administration in power. Once the Education department is overhauled to the new system this will take place.

The faculty of the Education department will make use of the best we can gather worldwide, and at the same time, creating the home horned faculty members that will fill those posts after all is 100% done.

Dominican students will have the support materials up to the minute and not be based on outdated educational materials.

Dominican students will be trilingual from the early stages of basic education.
A weekender military program will also be incorporated to our intermediate and high school student body curriculum. Creating a volunteering core able to task during emergencies of natural kind; as well as civil obedience roll outs.

A vigorous physical education programme will be deployed as well, one able to produce future world class athletes that can represent the nation to world events.

A foreign student exchange program is also going to be placed to allow our best students to learn about other cultures and technologies on-hand. Academic achievement will be rewarded as such...

Within two more Olympic competitions the DR will become more than just an added participant to turn into a contender in many fields...
We have the people, all we need is the right tools to allow them to fully bloom.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Education dept will soon have a budget supplied under a new Law that will automatically provide a % of the national budget to it regardless of administration in power. Once the Education department is overhauled to the new system this will take place.

Reminds me of The General Education Law 66-1997. It was passed more than a decade ago to spend at least 4% of the GDP or 16% of the national budget on investments in education......the children are still waiting.:ermm:

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I posted on the plan to move large parts of the education system on-line via the use of wireless networks and loaned laptops to students, so that educators can reach the students in their homes and be more effective in using 21st century technology as well.

As I indicated before in those posts, one of the major companies the DR was engaged with to this end was Microsoft. Today was made public part of the plan in the news via the signing of the accord of the DR and Microsoft Dominicana.

This step, with little major notice on the plan, will become the stepping stone to our education system. The plan is to be rolled out by stages, being 2015 the year that all education will be conducted via electronic means in the DR.

GREAT news PICHARDO ....... are Microsoft going to be supplying the US $100 'wind up' variety of laptop or have the Electricity Companies guaranteed to supply a minimum of 10 hours electricity each day to EVERY household where children live so that the laptop batteries might be recharged? :ermm: :eek:

Is this 'AGREEMENT' going to be a 'cross party agreement' to ensure the complete plan is instituted by 2015 or will any incoming NEW political party be able to scuttle the agreement (as with the present "WE WILL SUPPLY 4% OF THE GDP FOR EDUCATION) when times get hard?

I can see there will be a glut of 'laptops' sitting in the Compra Ventas by 2015! :surprised :ermm: ~ Grahame.:chinese:

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
GREAT news PICHARDO ....... are Microsoft going to be supplying the US $100 'wind up' variety of laptop or have the Electricity Companies guaranteed to supply a minimum of 10 hours electricity each day to EVERY household where children live so that the laptop batteries might be recharged? :ermm: :eek:

Microsoft will be in charge of the software and faculty training only, several ISP will deal with the connectivity issues (free of charge to the gov); the laptops are being negotiated with several major corporations...

At first stages (three years give or take) students will participate via special wired rooms (the ones called centers today by Indotel) so that kids will have 100% electrical service until the energy issues are ironed out.

Is this 'AGREEMENT' going to be a 'cross party agreement' to ensure the complete plan is instituted by 2015 or will any incoming NEW political party be able to scuttle the agreement (as with the present "WE WILL SUPPLY 4% OF THE GDP FOR EDUCATION) when times get hard?

The agreement is binding to any administration in power as the education dept will be overhauled and provided full autonomy from the administration, only the heads will be appointed via a special panel made up of educators and supreme court judges.
The funding for the new education department will be protected via a law that will need to go to the supreme court for any challenges... Not even the president will have veto over the budget assigned to it afterwords...

I can see there will be a glut of 'laptops' sitting in the Compra Ventas by 2015! :surprised :ermm: ~ Grahame.:chinese:

The laptops will be fitted with a homing device that can't be taken out or erased from the system. Apart from that device, the units will not be your regular laptop, but ones which specs are unique to the system employed by the education dept.

Think of a veryyyyyyy basic laptop, with a limited HDD and ram...
Think of them more like terminals than your run of the mill laptop in use today.
Students will have USB flash drives that can be attached to the system in order to download school related materials for safekeeping...

One last thing: The laptops will be made unlike other laptops, as they will come in a custom configuration and layout as well. No chances of spotting them in the PC chop-shops anytime soon...

Think of the role of the gov to evolve into a federal gov, providing provinces more autonomy and departments with their own budgets replenished from specific VAT that will be rolled out soon by steps. The Education Dept budget will be more than enough to cover all the bases...

City, province and federal taxes will come soon to the DR!!!

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Pichardo, while I applaud this initiative and hope it does turn into reality, I can't help but think how much money was used in payoffs. In the DR nothing happens "for the good of the people" unless there is an irregular exchange of funds somewhere along the line.

From my university experience playing the Microsft game is far from a win-win situation. It's great they are poning up for software and training, but this will come at a significant cost. Students will be locked into only MS software even if there are better alternatives out there.

If this program is approved and is rolled out to the masses as planned I will be very surprised. Even more so if the program last a year without the funds being diverted to someone's pocket.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
It is wonderful to see such technological advances, but I have to question why such initiatives have not been trialled in a 'western national', say Australia, where distance plays a major factor in delivering education to rural communities? Why trial such an expensive initiative in the DR?

To be honest, my observations and experience of working with Dominicans (all my staff are University educated and many have lived and worked overseas) there are major short comings with the education system here, that I honestly don't think a computer based schooling system would even scratch the surface.

More importantly, one of the major by products of education is teaching children important social skills that enable them to function effectively in the community. Turning up to class on time, not speaking in class, doing homework, playing sport... these are all important in developmental and learnt behaviours which are honed by a traditional education system.

How about starting with the basics like reading and writing? I would like to know how a computer based system is going to teach that? It is hard enough for a traditional teacher to ensure that all their students are receiving enough attention to develop their skills.

It would be nice to know that the children going through the education system now will come out being able to do a little more than write a few words that look like chicken scratchings.

I would love to see all Dominicans have the opportunity to receive a good education and an improved standard of living. I am doing my bit by ensuring that our staff are well trained and given opportunities to learn new skills.

The first skill my administration staff have learnt is to think - I have a team of staff who are now able to problem solve and find solutions. We are taking baby steps, but in the past 6 months I have seem a marked improvement. These skills have only been developed from constant reinforcement and refining. I've been the one to sit with my staff, question them, force them to come up with the solution - and then praise them and give positive reinforcement.

I'd like to see how a computer will do that...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's hope the same guy that got given the contract (yes given, very little is won or awarded on merit/tender here) for the AMET breathalyzers and ticket machines does not get the school laptop contract (see today's news).

Somethings I can kind of see happening, but this type of stuff I will need to see to believe.

As Sanation pointed out, reading and writing would be a good start, being able to think is a real bonus.

The sad fact is that most Dominican kids are taught to remember and not to think.

May 12, 2005
Pichardo, please take off your purple tinted glasses. If this program actually happens, those laptops will end up in the hands of the politicos, their families and cronies, not public school students. If by chance a few do make it to pupils hands, how long will it be before there are news headlines about robberies of laptop computers. There are much better and less fantasy filled ways to improve the education system in DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Even if the laptops reach the children, even if the home has power to make the computer function, how will distance learning motivate the children to actually switch the machines on? And if the kids want to, what's to stop the parents using their children's services at home to clean, do housework or garden work, go out to earn money etc etc?

It seems to me that the success of a scheme such as this rests on a high level of motivation by both child and family. Some will have it. But what of those who do not place a high value on education?

Reactions: Frank the Tank

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
At first stages (three years give or take) students will participate via special wired rooms (the ones called centers today by Indotel) so that kids will have 100% electrical service until the energy issues are ironed out.

Hang ON me old flower !!!!!!!
First you told us
"I posted on the plan to move large parts of the education system on-line via the use of wireless networks and loaned laptops to students, so that educators can reach the students in their homes and be more effective in using 21st century technology as well".

Now you are telling me that these classes will be in 'Special Wired Rooms'?? If things change as quickly they have between your first couple of posts (24 hours) just THINK what changes will be made to this idea within a 2/3 YEAR period!!

If education by this method has to wait "Until the energy issues are ironed out" ........ then the poor children are in for a LOnnnnnnnnG wait! ~ Grahame.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
my husband teaches in a public high school in santiago. we just shelled out 2500 pesos from our own money to buy some novels for his students because... well, there "is no money" for books.

last year, we spent over 10Gs on his students because there were only 40 books delivered for his 100 12th graders. i'm thinking even old, outdated books would be better than what he's got. nothing

and trilingual? right.
because they also just started a bilingual pilot program in his school... and the teacher doesn't speak enough english to teach past the verb "to be". pretty typical public school english program... only now they're wasting an hour a day on it instead of focusing on things that might actually work... like reading or writing... or math

i hope it works out.
but, money for the public schools is a joke. we're still waiting for the supposed "raise" from the "evaluacion de disempeno" that was supposed to be added on in june (and by june, i mean march)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Your story has touched me. I was wondering if members of DR1 could possibly donate some money for the purchase of books or supplies for the school were your husband is a teacher. Let me know as I would be willing to donate a modest but I'm sure helpful offering.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
It is wonderful to see such technological advances, but I have to question why such initiatives have not been trialled in a 'western national', say Australia, where distance plays a major factor in delivering education to rural communities? Why trial such an expensive initiative in the DR?

To be honest, my observations and experience of working with Dominicans (all my staff are University educated and many have lived and worked overseas) there are major short comings with the education system here, that I honestly don't think a computer based schooling system would even scratch the surface.

More importantly, one of the major by products of education is teaching children important social skills that enable them to function effectively in the community. Turning up to class on time, not speaking in class, doing homework, playing sport... these are all important in developmental and learnt behaviours which are honed by a traditional education system.

How about starting with the basics like reading and writing? I would like to know how a computer based system is going to teach that? It is hard enough for a traditional teacher to ensure that all their students are receiving enough attention to develop their skills.

It would be nice to know that the children going through the education system now will come out being able to do a little more than write a few words that look like chicken scratchings.

I would love to see all Dominicans have the opportunity to receive a good education and an improved standard of living. I am doing my bit by ensuring that our staff are well trained and given opportunities to learn new skills.

The first skill my administration staff have learnt is to think - I have a team of staff who are now able to problem solve and find solutions. We are taking baby steps, but in the past 6 months I have seem a marked improvement. These skills have only been developed from constant reinforcement and refining. I've been the one to sit with my staff, question them, force them to come up with the solution - and then praise them and give positive reinforcement.

I'd like to see how a computer will do that...

exactly right,
like also TheTeacher said.
what the Dr wanna do with computer based ?education?in households where the most do not know more than to write their name under a paycheck, and some not even that?
i have a 5 years old in preschool since a few weeks,
his first year, for the short 200 meters distance from home(wife doesn?t drive) we first decided to send him to the local public school, that lasted 2 days, i watched what the ?teacher? is teaching the little ones, it was a absolute BS.
we switched right away to a private school 10 miles from here, they pick up at the homedoor and bring him back to the homedoor afterwards, just a few weeks, and little Mario is counting 1-10, can write each of those numbers when asked for and every day they get a new letter of the alphabet for homework, aside of playing a lot together during school time, which also is very important for the little ones.
playing together means to learn how people walk along with each others, how to function in a community where not always everybody wanna play YOUR favorite game, and that you can learn only if some ?teacher?is nearby watching such and correct what has to be corrected.
yes, they have to be punctual or the school door is closed for the day,
yes, they learn to sit still and keep the mouth closed while the teacher or an other student is talking.
and YES,
those are vitally important things in children?s education.
a computer based further education can be used/done for youngguns who received a good education prior to such and do now gather additional education/knowledge via a computer from home while maybe working somewhere several hours a day to maintain the house/living aso.
but basic education online???
that?s BS
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and i know exactly what LaTeacher is talking about in case of her husband?s teaching and missing even the smallest basics like books.
i run with some friends a little foundation here in the area, there are public schools where the kiddies have just a ?half?notbook to write down their notes aso.
we try to provide them as much notebooks, cryons, pens, coloring books and many sporting goods for playing as we can.
it is a lot of schools leaking on such, only here in the thiny populated PC area.
many are running under the assistance of several foundations and charities, like the Punta Cana Resort & Club runs several such institutions.
the assistance/help of the government???
you?re kidding me,
this government has for sure not even 1% of the promised money in their educational system.
before even thinking about a huge costy profect to buy computer for the trashcan they should start to provide the needed basics for their public schools so teachers have at least a chance to teach the kids something helpful for life.
i know at least a dozen of public school teachers over here who just feel lost alone out in the desert.
and then there are such who should not be named teachers, yeap.
Mike

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
a. hidalgo, thank you so much for your offer. i asked my husband and he said what they could most use are class sets of books (obras, novelas) that they can use for analyzation.

and he says to remind people not to blindly give money to teachers here as more often than not it goes to their pocket and not the classroom. it's better if you're going to "donate" to "help" in the public schools that it be in the form of materials... and that you or someone you know deliver the goods personally, especially if it is school supplies FOR THE STUDENTS (ie: notebooks, pencils, etc...) becuase a lot of time the director will take the stuff and sell it to the studetns for a profit instead of giving it to them :)

Reactions: MikeFisher

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I don't live there and forgive me for speaking about something many of you know first hand from so far away.... but....here are my two pesos.

My first cynical reaction is that this deal will benefit the communications industry, IT, suppliers of electronics etc. and my fear is that nothing will come of it and children will be waiting as they are now. But those industries (Indotel, Microsoft Dominicana and others) and the country as a whole will never move forward without a literate and computer literate workforce. They have a vested interest in making the DR a hub for communications. It’s a great vision to have and often it’s the one’s with purple-tinted glasses who lead the way or at least point in the right direction.

Nicholas Negroponte has such a vision and plan with the One Laptop per Child project. I don’t know if he will every succeed but they’re on the way (with many partners, private, public and governmental) to a redesigned OX computer that costs more than the original $100 estimate to produce but meets the needs of people who don’t have the electrical grid and connectivity that the developed world has. Haiti will see some projects soon.

The new OX computer runs Linux or Windows operating systems and the competition are underpricing a similar product. But it all started with a dream to connect people, give access, and put the technology in the hands of children in developing countries.

Nicholas Negroponte on One Laptop per Child | Video on TED.com

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/nicholas_negroponte_on_one_laptop_per_child_two_years_on.html

http://www.ted.com/index.php/speakers/nicholas_negroponte.html

Canada saw the need for such a project more than 10 years ago and Industry Canada initiated the project financed by taxpayers, with public and private stakeholder participation and support. All the schools and libraries were linked to the Internet through SchoolNet, AboriginalNet, etc. I think it was successful in getting teachers and students and librarians connected. It's offline now. Today more that 95% of Canadian youth access the Internet from home and they have problems turning off the computer.

An incredible thing happens when children have access to this technology. They take to it like fish to water and teach their teachers and their parents. It’s an essential step toward sharing information and building community globally and finding solutions to problems. Just look at DR1 as a tiny example of what connectivity can do and imagine Dominican children connected to the world and how the next generation will solve their own problems and participate in solving global ones. I look forward to the day when I no longer shop for pencils to bring to the Dominican Republic. Who knows I just might join in such a project myself and be part of a reverse brain drain relocating to the DR.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Margaret, everything you say is true, but only useful if the majority of the population was already literate. That is not the case in the DR and not the case in regards to the "beneficiaries" of the proposed program.

Mar 2, 2008
Technology is not going to eliminate illiteracy. Nor is it going to improve basic writing and mathematic skills. Nor is it going to improve thinking skills, such as flexible thinking, creative thinking, critical thinking, etc.

What technology does is provide access to information, and offers an efficient and effective medium for communicating with others, worldwide.

If kids can't read to begin with, or read only at a rudimentary level, access to information is not the problem, and computers are not a solution.

And if kids can't process information, that is, if they can't decide for themselves what information is pertinent and what is trash, and can't critically analyze content, and can't then use information to synthesize new conceptual models, then all the computers in Bill Gate's arsenal won't amount to a hill of beans.

Technology is a tremendous asset once kids are proficient with basic skills. Without a foundation of basic skills, the introduction of technology is a waste of time, energy, and money.

Technology is not a substitute for a quality education. However, technology instituted within a framework of an overall quality educational system is indispensable.
The question is this:
Is the public educational system in the DR at a point where it is ready to introduce technology into the classroom?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Technology is not going to eliminate illiteracy. Nor is it going to improve basic writing and mathematic skills. Nor is it going to improve thinking skills, such as flexible thinking, creative thinking, critical thinking, etc.

What technology does is provide access to information, and offers an efficient and effective medium for communicating with others, worldwide.

If kids can't read to begin with, or read only at a rudimentary level, access to information is not the problem, and computers are not a solution.

And if kids can't process information, that is, if they can't decide for themselves what information is pertinent and what is trash, and can't critically analyze content, and can't then use information to synthesize new conceptual models, then all the computers in Bill Gate's arsenal won't amount to a hill of beans.

Technology is a tremendous asset once kids are proficient with basic skills. Without a foundation of basic skills, the introduction of technology is a waste of time, energy, and money.

Technology is not a substitute for a quality education. However, technology instituted within a framework of an overall quality educational system is indispensable.
The question is this:
Is the public educational system in the DR at a point where it is ready to introduce technology into the classroom?

No, the system isn't ready, yet.
that's why i plee for the basics.
once they are established further/additional steps to better tyhe education can be considered.
right now they need the basics and get much more organized in case of "what belongs to a public school", because they do not get all the same gov assistance and the way LaTeacher described stuff 'could' disappear when not donated to the students in person, i would assume that same way many gov'tal provided stuff 'disappears' or get's sold to the students.
Mike