Our inheritance was stolen.....

Tamara17

Sep 18, 2008
On October of 1997 my father passed away. Neither I, nor my 2 brothers were notified of my fathers death, or of the fact that he was in the US at the time of his death. We found out 2 months after his burial. I was much younger and struggling financially and did not have the means to launch an investigation on the distribution of my fathers properties in DR. I have since hired a lawyer and have been told that supposedly my dad sold the property 1 year before he died. My dad was a very meticulous man and was extremely proud of his "firma" he said it was the signature of a doctor. The bill of sale has my fathers name written in print. Something we know he would have never done. The person that supposedly bought the property was the same person that kept my dads death and last living months a secret from my brothers and I. We are 100% convinced that it was a premeditated scheme and that the papers are all false. What are our chances in proving such a thing? We don't know what happened to our fathers Will either.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
do you have documents which show your father?s real signature, like a copy of cedula or any elder contract or such he signed?
that?s a tough one and we are talking about 1997!
if all fails i would just shoot that bastard.
take all of papers you have related to your dad and get a good lawyer, not some street junkie.
talk to people in the area where your father lived, out there on the streets is often a lot of knowledge to dig out.
good luck
Mike

Mar 2, 2008
"if all fails i would just shoot that bastard"

While I agree with the sentiment, it is so close to being a viable option, it probably shouldn't be discussed.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know a good lawyer who would be willing to review your documents and see if it possible to reclaim the property. He doesn't speak English and is here in santiago. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Tamara

Neither I, nor my 2 brothers were notified of my fathers death, or of the fact that he was in the US at the time of his death. We found out 2 months after his burial.

First of all, i'm very sorry for your lost, second of all, it's not very clear here. You father was in the U.S at he time of his death or you and your brothers were in the U.S.?

You found out that your father had died after his burial?

Very confusing!!!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
o.k., now i get a bit confused in case of the locations.
* the properties are in the DR
* the father died in the USA
where is the "Buyer" of the properties located, in the DR or in the USA?
Mike

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
On October of 1997 my father passed away. Neither I, nor my 2 brothers were notified of my fathers death, or of the fact that he was in the US at the time of his death. We found out 2 months after his burial. I was much younger and struggling financially and did not have the means to launch an investigation on the distribution of my fathers properties in DR. I have since hired a lawyer and have been told that supposedly my dad sold the property 1 year before he died. My dad was a very meticulous man and was extremely proud of his "firma" he said it was the signature of a doctor. The bill of sale has my fathers name written in print. Something we know he would have never done. The person that supposedly bought the property was the same person that kept my dads death and last living months a secret from my brothers and I. We are 100% convinced that it was a premeditated scheme and that the papers are all false. What are our chances in proving such a thing? We don't know what happened to our fathers Will either.

All property of a deceased person with living children (adults or kids) is by law considered inheritance. Therefore, any type of sale that took place before his actual death and of which the person's signature on the used instrument can be proven fraudulent, is null and void.

You need to contact a lawyer very fast and provide several documents (the ones used in legal transactions the better) with your father's signature on them. Your lawyer can then proceed to identified all property that was registered dully under his name and ask the court to nullify any property sold or re-titled under any other name.

This is a serious matter, better followed by a competent lawyer!!!

Any official that took part in the sale or transfer of ownership of such property via a fraudulent signature can be fined, fired from their post and sent to jail as well...

Act immediately and hire a lawyer!!!!!