New constitution

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
Is the proposed new Constituion availble to the public? (internet or other means)

btw
I wonder how many citizens (and lawyers) have read the present constitution...

and think that it must be mandatory for all students to pass a test to prove their knowledge of the Constitution, as well as for anyone applying for Dominican citizenship.

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
F. Guzman,

Thanks very much, now I got some reading to do.

Wonder if congress or any other institution will publish a "version" stablishing the difference between the new and prior -at least- constitutions.

At this time I am curious about article 67, the 5 years continuous residence requirement for senators,

is it new?, if not, have they complied?

what would be the reason behind the requirement?

another one I don't like is Art. 82, too restrictive

"Art?culo 82. Se establece la iniciativa legislativa popular mediante la cual un n?mero de ciudadanos no menor del dos por ciento de los inscriptos en el registro de electores, podr? presentar proyectos de ley ante el Congreso Nacional. Una ley especial establecer? el procedimiento para ejercer esta iniciativa."

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The 5-year residency requirement is in article 22 the current constitution. The problem hasn't been that candidates have not complied with the requirement, but that they they never go back to their province AFTER they're elected.

As for the proposed new article 82 regarding legislative initiatives by ordinary citizens, the 2% requirement amounts to around 100,000 signatures.