orphanages, etc.

ncochrane3

May 3, 2008
Hi everyone. I have spent my last two summers in the DR with a group called Hero Holiday. I am renting an apartment with two friends for may and june 2009, most likely in Sosua, and we are looking for ideas of things to do. We plan on going back to visit friends at the schools we built (Arroyo Seco, Cangrejo, Nazareth, Redemption) but since those projects are finished and we won't be able to be building, we are not sure how to best help. We have two orphanages that we will visit (Conani in Santiago and Mustard Seed) and we plan on visiting Sosua Dump and helping the Haitians there. Does anyone have any contacts or ideas of places that would like volunteers? We would love to help in orphanages, medical clinics, schools... anywhere that would like us, really!

Thanks so much!

Nikki
Dominican Republic 2007-2008

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
Yes!

Wow, what an impressive blog! Maybe you could help me with mine! lol We are working on many projects now that should be ready to implement by next May and June. We are an all volunteer organization that started the same way you did, making trips, seeing the need and deceiding to make a difference. We are very small group and we could really use the help in every area you spoke of. So pm me if you like our website. The site is old but it will give you and idea of who we are. So will the blog. dovemissions.com is the site. We have a college age group of 25-30 in June and 20 highschool age in July. We need hard working bodies if you are up for it!

Warmly,
Liz

Reactions: Lucille

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Does anyone have any contacts or ideas of places that would like volunteers? We would love to help in orphanages, medical clinics, schools... anywhere that would like us, really!

Thanks so much!

Nikki
Dominican Republic 2007-2008

Welcome to DR1 Nikki :) & thank you so much for all you have done & are doing to help. Have you made contact with Dr. Bob? He does outreach in the bateys around Sosua. I'm sure he'd welcome your help. Details of building, food distribution, medical etc projects here:
Services

If you were thinking of further afield, like Puerto Plata, drop a PM to La Profe_1. I'm sure she'll be able to connect you with projects needing help next May & June also. If you want to contact Integracion Juvenil in Puerto Plata we could also introduce you.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
We'll have a medical-dental mission in June and workers are always needed for that. In May or June we could get you set up at a poor school to work with the students - other ideas may come to me also.

ForeverOne

Apr 23, 2008
At your service

Does anyone do any work in santiago??
I would love to help!
I saw the links for Crossroads and Dovemissions.
Some things are not found in the yellow pages!!!!!!!!!
(Life in DR)

ncochrane3

May 3, 2008
Wow-thank you so much for all the suggestions. We are a group of 3 (me and my 2 roommates) and we are willing to be doing just about anything. We really want to experience everything and help in as many ways as we can. I am going to go check out the Dominican Crossroads website, it looks really great. I assume there is an email address on there that I can contact. If anyone knows of any websites or email addresses of people I can contact, that would be great! Thank you again!

Pauline Wren

Jun 22, 2004
Help with orphanages

Wow, this would be God-given! We hope to complete the purchase of land for building in late October and then to start building for Project Isobel on the north coast as soon as things can be arranged after that. We aim to accommodate 14 street children when everything is fully operational.

If you can help please contact me. I shall be back in the DR personally in mid October but am contactable via email till then.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am going to go check out the Dominican Crossroads website, it looks really great. I assume there is an email address on there that I can contact.

Yes, it's all on there. Dr. Bob won't know who Lambada is from Adam (or Eve ;) ) but if you want to say Ginnie from Puerto Plata suggested you make contact, that'll be ok. I think quite a few of us will remember reading about last year's Hero Holiday trip at the time & being impressed at the level of committment of the volunteers.

As you can see, there is no shortage of need! Best of luck to you whichever projects you get involved in. :)

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I`ve been looking for volunteer options in the DR as well.After my first trip there in 07 I knew right away that I wanted to volunteer either there or somehwere else in need and help in anyway possible.I live in small town Canada and honestly had no idea, until I saw it with my own eyes,how people in other parts of the wold live.I`ve looked at many organizations online but many want you to speak fluent Spanish and as of now I only have a few words...I`ve found a wonderful group in Honduras that I`m considering, but my family is scared about the risk of me being a single female travelling there alone. I know there can be issues in the DR as well but my having been there twice before is somewhat comforting.
I would love to help in any way but working with children is where my heart is. I`m a child care provider here at home and have alot of experience with special needs children. I have level 2 signed english and am experienced in all aspects of tube feeding. I have no formal training in special needs care but I have a friend with a child who has Mobius Syndrome whom I`ve cared for and my niece has Charge Syndrome.I have been very active in her care over the past 10 years and have gained alot of experience.
I`m hoping to go somewhere for a week or two in July of 09. I`m open to organized group type projects, where lodging, tranportation etc. is provided or more of an individual basis where I can find my own lodging and volunteer near by.
I`m open to any suggestions and would love to hear from you...

Chica2008

Jun 19, 2008
Hi there. I have just returned from the North Coast of the DR where I did some volunteer work with a charity called 'Sosua Kids' volunteering in a local school teaching English and if you want more information about what I did and who to contact I can help. I can honestly say those kids have touched my heart and it makes you look at your life in a very different prospective.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Chica, I would love to hear about the details of your trip.You can pm me if you like..