My Story~Visa 2

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Hi, I finally have time to share my story with everyone!!!

Not too sure where to start, but I guess I will start with my timeline, this will give you some back ground information:

FEB 05 - Met on vacation
AUG 05 - Decided to get married
OCT 05 - Engaged
JAN 06 - Married
March/06 - Application sent
OCT 06 - Interview (PR denied)
NOV/06 - Hired immigration lawyer & started appeal process
JUL 07 - Mediator Meeting - decision not overturned, waiting for appeal hearing date to be set
DEC 07 - Still waiting to for court date to be set....lawyer anticipated court date Mid 2009
JAN 08 - Decided that reapplying would be faster than waiting for court date
APR 08 - Sent New Application
MAY 08 - Application returned - need to withdraw appeal request first
MAY 08 - Appeal withdrawn & Application resent
JUN 24 08 - Sponsorship Approved
SEP 12 08 - Email requesting updated Passport & Cedula

The interviewer denied the visa based on the 3 facts:
- my husband got his passport in AUG 05 and we weren't officially engaged until OCT 05.
- at the time I lived just outside of town & thought my husband wouldn't like living in a small town
- my husband couldn't remember the name of the small town where I work because I always referred to it as Kitchener-Waterloo but technically it is St.Jacobs

The mediator felt that I was genuine but wanted to wait for the appeal hearing to hear more from my husband. She definitely had her decision made before she ever met me and wasted everyones time.

The immigration lawyer was of no help. She told me to go ahead & reapply & that it was ok to have an appeal & a new application on the go at the same time. I have paid her a lot of money & she has been of no help to me.

Since reapplying, my status has not changed, but I guess they are looking at his application, so that is good news.

DD

Last edited:

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
sorry...the first Time I sent my application was in March, and I hired a lawyer in November.
Ignore this message :bunny:

DD

Last edited:

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hi Dominican Daisy,

Why was it a problem for you husband to get his passport August 2005 and you were engaged October 2005?

That must have been really frustrating to be spending all of that money on your lawyer and for her to not even have the facts straight about waiting for an appeal and reapplying again for a permanent residence visa... It sounds like you two are almost there and will finally be able to start your life together!!

Laura

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The interviewer denied the visa based on the 3 facts:
- my husband got his passport in AUG 05 and we weren't officially engaged until OCT 05.
- at the time I lived just outside of town & thought my husband wouldn't like living in a small town
- my husband couldn't remember the name of the small town where I work because I always referred to it as Kitchener-Waterloo but technically it is St.Jacobs

The mediator felt that I was genuine but wanted to wait for the appeal hearing to hear more from my husband. She definitely had her decision made before she ever met me and wasted everyones time.

The immigration lawyer was of no help. She told me to go ahead & reapply & that it was ok to have an appeal & a new application on the go at the same time. I have paid her a lot of money & she has been of no help to me.

Since reapplying, my status has not changed, but I guess they are looking at his application, so that is good news.

DD

Daisy were the reasons for denial given in writing? The one about the passport sounds absolutely unbelievable. Every Dominican has the right to get a passport just like we have a right to own one.

They can't judge whether he will like a small town unless he indicated that he might not.

Yes I can beleive that if he didn't know the exact town you lived in, it might show that he didn't know enough about you. I always thought in lived in Kitchener as well ;)

This is why people say that they will ask everything that one has writen in the application.

I wish you better luck this time.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
That is insane. Now you have me worried though. My husband got his Passport in March 3 months after we met. There is however a good reason - his best friend's brother plays in the MLB in the States and they were trying to get him a Visitor Visa. Which of course didn't pan out.
I am wondering if I should let them know about this or just wait and see what happens? But then again I don't want to wait and then have to try to backtrack?
Did they ask him why he had got his Passport then in the interview?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Dominican Daisy - When your husband went for the interview did they tell him to bring his passport with him? Did they ask him at the interview why he had his passoprt so quickly?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
P.S. You had posted earlier also that you knew about the age difference thing from personal experience? Do you two have much of an age difference? Not that that has anything to do with it - I am just being nosy! :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
P.S. You had posted earlier also that you knew about the age difference thing from personal experience? Do you two have much of an age difference? Not that that has anything to do with it - I am just being nosy! :)

I don't think Daisy will mind if I answer this question for her. There's only 8 years difference between them which along with the passport is also a rediculous excuse for denial.

It's hard to say what the interviewer sees or senses and at other times seem to ignore obvious signs.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks Anna - it is terrible how Immigration treats everyone. there is no rhyme or reason for anything. If everyone was treated the same it would be another story.
It is just so hard to be waiting for something you want so badly and not know what is happening. Frustrating is definitely an understatement!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
They are looking for anything that even HINTS at this not being what it seems. Applying for a passport before you are engaged could easily be misconstrued. What reason did he actually have for getting his passport then?

Anna you are right, every Dominican has the right to apply. BUT the question would be why then at that time and not before....

I hear about it first hand here all the time. The process is extremely frustrating. You are dealing with the inefficiencies here, a system you don't really understand, the beauracracy of your own governments etc.

But you are also dealing with a mindset of people who will stop at almost nothing to get out of this country. I am not for a second suggesting this applies to any particular person.

I am saying loudly and clearly that the people who look at these applications have seen it all and heard it all! Sometimes from the same applicants more then once!

I personally know of 5 different cases where the applicant has applied with multiple women to different countries. And in 2 cases they were married to one of the women and engaged to another!

If this is real, then be patient. That can be very difficult. Sorry you wasted money on a lawyer! that is a whole other issue.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
thnks for sharing your story girl
what a bunch of far fetched reasons.that is not fair at all.

my husband got his passport after we met as well

lord does the list of problems ever end.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
my husbands interview is in fourteen days,
we are so in love but will the officer recognize that is the question.if i had to do this again i would be devestated.keeping married people apart is just so horrible.
especially when you love each other so much.
we are not stupid people,good luck girl
and gods speed for you you have been tru the wringer
i

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
To answer everyones questions....

1) Why was it a problem for you husband to get his passport August 2005 and you were engaged October 2005?

- We had discussed marriage over the phone in the summer of 2005. My next trip down was in October 2005 and that is when our official engagement took place.
- We didn't know much about the immigration process at the time & thought it would be helpful to start putting together all of the documents ahead of time...it was ME that suggested he go to get the passport in Aug 2005
- I think the immigration officer thought my husband had bad intentions & that I was not aware of the fact that he had his passport before he officially proposed.

2) Daisy were the reasons for denial given in writing?
Yes. Immigration sends a letter of rejection about 6 weeks after the interview that lists the areas of concern. You are supposed to use this document to start the appeal process if you feel your case wasn't judged fairly.

3) When your husband went for the interview did they tell him to bring his passport with him? Did they ask him at the interview why he had his passoprt so quickly?

Yes. He was told to bring the passport to the interview. They definitely asked about why he had the passport before the engagement. It never crossed our mind that it would be such an important thing...it never crossed our mind at all.
We didn't include the fact that we had discussed marriage by phone prior to aug 2005 on the application either. This is probably where we went wrong. We answered the application questions as they were asked. My husband didn't understand why the immigration officer (woman) was asking this question and answered just as anna c said....that you can get a passport anytime. I guess she didn't like that answer :(

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for answering.

As you can see they are definately looking for reasons to turn you down!

As for being FAIR - well no one said this was fair. And it definately is not fair. So, plan on it not being fair. Do everything in your power to prove that this is real! I am sorry you have to do this but you do.

Unfortunately there are just so many who are trying to get past the system that this has become necessary. I am not defending the system or the process nor am I defending any applicants.

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
4) About not knowing where I lived/worked.

- At the time, we submitted our first application, I lived in a very small town about 10 minutes outside of Kitchener. My job is in another small town which is about 5 minutes outside of Kitchener in another direction.
- My husband new the name of the town where I lived but thought I worked in Kitchener because many people including me refer to the entire area as Kitchener-Waterloo.
- She questioned why he wanted to live in a small town where there is nothing to do & also questioned why he didn't know the name of the town I worked in.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Dominican Daisy - Wow! You two have been through it all! I hope your application this time around goes quickly and you get to bring your husband home soon! Stay positive!