Is it safe to travel by car?

fonsecazelia

Sep 18, 2008
:ermm:Hello

I'm want to rent a car to go from Punta Cana to Samana, is it safe?
It's easy for a tourist to drive around DR?
Where can I get road maps for DR?
Thank You

Sep 19, 2005
generally it isnt safe to drive in the DR...but then again it isnt much less safe to be a passenger.

the biggest up side is you will not be held liable for damages of an accident if you are the passenger, as ooposed to the driver( much more so if you are a GRINGO)

I am not sure the ferry is working..maybe someone else can enlighten us to that info. But if it is then the trip is way less of a headache probably.

if the ferry isnt working... then it looks like a long way around. i am not sure if there is a new and easy way to hook up with the new Samana-Santo Domingo Highway from the Punta Cana area.

I am not sure i would recomend that non ferry trip to a beginner.

there is little to no road side assistance in the DR....

There are maps that would get you to samana, they are hard to find.

I bought two good ones in a store in Santiago... I am sure they are sold most big cities.

I dont have them in front of me now, so i cant speak about the route...

Id hate to think you would have to come all the way down to the capital to hook up with the new highway!!!

good luck

bad bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The ferry is for foot passengers only so if you are going by car you need to take the long way round anyway.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The best way to see the DR is with a rented car. Yes, there are risks. Yes, you must give yourself time to get lost. Yes, you must not drive at night. It is doable, and it is so much more enjoyable to have one's own wheels. I would do this in two parts. Overnight in Santo Domingo, in fact, spend two nights. Then head for Samana on the new tolls highway. About US$20 in tolls, but everyone says it is worth it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think the best way to see the DR is by motorcycle.

;):cheeky:

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
if money isn't a problem i would advise flying, renting a car in samana and flying back. it also depends on how much time you have to visit. have spent vacations driving too much (and it is a bit hectic out there) and would allow for an all day drive to get where you are going and one for the return trip. Home this is a company that flies to get another option.... enjoy your vacation, i hope to be in samana in nov. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ditto to what Dolores says with the exception that I believe one can make it relatively easy if you get started early. Remember, just don't drive at night and be attentive - you will soon learn the rules of the road.

I just had a young Dominican family visit me from Orlando. They were at first apprehensive about driving here, but I talked them into it. Needless to say, they were very pleased to find out it really wasn't a big deal. They traveled from SD to Punta Cana and also to the Cibao region - but not in the same day.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
:ermm:Hello

I'm want to rent a car to go from Punta Cana to Samana, is it safe?
It's easy for a tourist to drive around DR?
Where can I get road maps for DR?
Thank You

For years, the best trip I ever had in the Dominican Republic is when I hired a very talented taxi driver cum tourism guide. I piled my whole family into the taxi and we set off around the country. We spent a very enjoyable 10 days trekking to all of the "non-tourist" locations we could and had a great time.

By having a taxi we were able to spend the time actually looking at the country vs. dodging the various things on the road. It was a blast and 8 years later my kids (now adults) still comment on how much fun it was.

Aug 19, 2004
If you do decide to drive avoid big cities if you can. The good thing regarding the route from Punta Cana to Samana is that you can now avoid going into the Santo Domingo to get to Samana. The new Samana toll road starts about 5km after the airport (towards Santo Domingo) - not many maps show the new road.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
driving isnt exactly safe
but if you dont mind people pulling out from every angle,speeding,failing to yield etc....

be careful i drive a bus here in toronto but i would never attempt to drive in santo domingo
small towns are better to drive

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I arrived in the DR 6 months ago from Australia. I came here last year on a 'fact finding mission' and vowed then that I would never drive...

On arrival, I decided to give driving a go. I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was! I drive daily in Santo Domingo and have driven to the north coast from the capital (via Moca) on several occassions. I have also driven to Constanza which is not to be attempted by the faint hearted (!) and out to Juan Dolio. I am planning to drive to Samana in the not too distant future.

Coming from Australia, I had to learn to drive a left-hand drive car AND drive on the 'wrong side of the road'!... Oh, and I am a woman and we all know what they say about women drivers!!!! ;)

If you are a confident driver, you won't have a problem. Take note of all the advice given as it is extremely relevant. Many of the roads are in extremely poor conditions so you must take this into consideration. The drivers on the roads are inconsiderate, speed and do stupid things. I never cease to be amazed!

Have fun and ENJOY!

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Dominican drive like don't care for their safty. take the advice on the post obove, you can have a nerve-atack and get the shakes like a shell shoock soldier, most moped and motor cycle have not even seen a drivers manual. Enjoy the ride do'nt drive if you want to stay safe.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I drive everywhere in Santo Domingo. The flow of traffic has its own rhythm that it took me awhile to get used to. Many drivers have no respect for any rules but AMET has increased the pressure over the last few years so there are consequences for violators who get caught.

If you drive be aware that there is always the potential for someone else to do something colossally stupid.

If you are a confident driver you can swim in this pond without getting "shell shoock".

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Rep for Celt

I can personally attest to Celt's driving savy as I had ridden shotgun in his dentless vehicle. He does a good job behind the wheel. He is a defensive driver and signals others frequently with his middle finger to remind them to obey the traffic laws.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I can personally attest to Celt's driving savy as I had ridden shotgun in his dentless vehicle. He does a good job behind the wheel. He is a defensive driver and signals others frequently with his middle finger to remind them to obey the traffic laws.

I'm merely waving to all the happy go lucky people who inhabit this sun swept paradise who express their zest for life in their driving. Many drivers express their exuberance with their horns. What a country!

I occasionally greet some drivers in Boston Irish dialect. It's all in good fun and in the interest of international good will.

Driving in Santo Domingo traffic is not for everybody but I find the chaos has an odd charm. There's an aggression and competition that adheres to what I call "la Ley de Tigueraje" yet there are definitely unwritten rules of the road that can be understood over time.

Sep 19, 2005
I'm merely waving to all the happy go lucky people who inhabit this sun swept paradise who express their zest for life in their driving. Many drivers express their exuberance with their horns. What a country!

I occasionally greet some drivers in Boston Irish dialect. It's all in good fun and in the interest of international good will.

Driving in Santo Domingo traffic is not for everybody but I find the chaos has an odd charm. There's an aggression and competition that adheres to what I call "la Ley de Tigueraje" yet there are definitely unwritten rules of the road that can be understood over time.

driving in SD has gotten twice as good as it was 2 years ago when I went though twice....... I drove around the city for 2 days( not lost) 2 weeks ago.....much much better....

bad bad bob

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
If it's your 1st visit to the DR, don't drive. Hire a chauffeur. You need to "get the feel"...