Building Costs: Concrete Buildings

Mike1234

Aug 7, 2008
I am looking for a rough estimate of how much block/concrete buildings cost to erect in the DR. For example if I wanted to put up a garage like building, build from block, what would the cost per Sq/ft be?

It does not have to be exact. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am looking for a rough estimate of how much block/concrete buildings cost to erect in the DR. For example if I wanted to put up a garage like building, build from block, what would the cost per Sq/ft be?

Thanks,

Double garage like building with concrete roof and floor USD 300.oo / square meter or less... depending on whom you will use (actually, that's the key... how directly you can contract).

... J-D.

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
blocks

i think it depends on the size and quality of the blocks.i have bought many blocks for my friends house and they were 20 pesos a piece, not the quality that i would of liked.these were small blocks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That US$300 x sq. mt. might be on the low side, too. But for a basic garage, it is in the ballpark.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you really want to do it on the cheap call the ferreteria Ochoa ((809) 276-4566) here in Santiago and get the material supply. Then contact a local maestro with good references to do the construction. There is no cheaper way to do it here in the DR other than build it yourself. Based on a building we had priced 6 months ago, the price will be a lot cheaper than US300, probably in the US225 range.

Reactions: J D Sauser

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If you really want to do it on the cheap call the ferreteria Ochoa ((809) 276-4566) here in Santiago and get the material supply. Then contact a local maestro with good references to do the construction. There is no cheaper way to do it here in the DR other than build it yourself. Based on a building we had priced 6 months ago, the price will be a lot cheaper than US300, probably in the US225 range.

Exactly.
Location will also influence along with your ability to set the record straight that you are not a gringo palomo quickly.
I have participated in the design of an 3 level apartment building currently being erected in San Juan de la Maguana... four 3 bed/2 bath apartments on the upper 2 levels and commercial space and parking on the ground level.
The budget is just below USD 300.oo per square meter averaged over the whole project.
However, these are professional builder's cost and if you don't know 100% what you are doing, a figure like that can quickly become 500.oo or even more. It's very easy to make mistakes.

Those who make money in building, even when there is a little more "luxury", work pretty much around that figure.
Lets keep in mind that the building technology here is very...erm... crude or "simple"... what would be considered a "raw" building (what is called obra gris here) in most EU countries (since it can not be compared to the US building tech)... which is about 30% of the total building cost and time... is almost a finished building in this country.

A garage has little electrical wireing, plumbing, tiles and wood work... but besides that, they are not build muc differently than most of a house here.

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One note that I should of explained in my previous post is that you need to ask the maestro to calculate the material, labor costs and his commission separately.

From what I have seen this is really not common or popular here, as by doing this the contractor reveals his profit, but nonetheless if you can get someone to do this for you it will be very helpful to see how the cost is calculated. I personally have gotten a maestro (who happens to be a friend) to do this for me so it can be done.

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
Cinder Block Costs in the DR

Wow!! I'm getting ready to build on a 1500 sq meter lot in the DR Santiago area and this looks like $337,500 just for the first line of blocks layed down!!!
Is this cost of USD$225 per square meter for real? This is tantamount to USD$14 a block at the rate of 16 block per square meter!!! Please clarify this...is US or DR peso? HELP! Thank you.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Mike, There is no one better to supervise this job than Chip, you should PM him to see if he is available. Although he might be charging a little more since his conversion to *** Atheist in Training ***, he still will do a good honest job.

Thanks,

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thats one big house! According to my math = 16,146 square feet of house footprint, how many stories will it be? :)

Wow!! I'm getting ready to build on a 1500 sq meter lot in the DR Santiago area and this looks like $337,500 just for the first line of blocks layed down!!!
Is this cost of USD$225 per square meter for real? This is tantamount to USD$14 a block at the rate of 16 block per square meter!!! Please clarify this...is US or DR peso? HELP! Thank you.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Would it be cheaper to put a foundation in? They never seem to do that here with buildings...They have like 2 Haitians dig their 6 foot pits, put a giant toothpic in the center cover it with mesh, than hug it with a thin coat of goat milk cement..When they set the floors, its all a balancing act..I'm shocked that when finished, every tenant does not get instructions on how to place their belongings..Nope, Nope, too much weight over here. the building just moved, sofa there please..But serious, for a smal area, do they not sell sheds here?? pour a foundation, anchor shed. very solid..Or would you not at least save some cost on the blocks? Sorry, I have no idea about the cost of materials here...If they had a home depot, I could say better.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
That's not a house, its a damn store...That is huge! Aid auto stores in Copiague NY was only 10,000 SQ, one of their biggest stores next to their Ronkonkoma store

Thats one big house! According to my math = 16,146 square feet of house footprint, how many stories will it be? :)

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
The best way to calculate cost, is to have plans done with specs and have someone else with experience rather than the maestro calculate for you all the exact amount of materials needed for each phase of the construction.

Then go to several hardware stores and negotiate the price of the materials. This way you now know all on your own all of the prices and materials needed to complete the project and can now negotiate the price of the maestro separate from the materials and avoid getting rip off on materials and have total control of both the materials and the maestro and the total cost of the construction involved.

This will come handy when you start to order materials to the site you now have a precise control of the amount of materials needed for each phase and in addition the maestro costs in draws all calculated and in advance.

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003

Yea it sounds bigbut its only around the perimeter...that post above this one refering to foundation is what I'm focusing on...set the footing...then start on the foundation and lay the blocks as far as I can go taking my time...in answer to your question its two stories in an hacienda center patio style...my mom left it to us and I would like to do what she wanted before she passed away...a small hostal. So now I'm retired and in very good shape for my age...but with a small pension I can do a lot of the cinder block laying and hire maestros for what I cannot do. Something simple with two rectangular buildings in front and a set of small efficiensies inside the perimeter of the lot...I'm counting the cost of materials to see how much of the work I can do myself. Any insights as to the cinder block cost? And yes I'm drawing up floor plan drawings and elevvation drawings to take with me...I know that there are 16 to 17 blocks to 1 sq meter...

Last edited:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Something 1234 ,
Cost have gone up tremendusly lately. The cost of Cement, Rebar and labour has sky rocketed. The recent change to the status of Hatians has also affected the price of labour .

People say you can buy an existing property for cheaper than you can build !

HTH

Olly and the Team

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
Then it looks like doing the majority myself would be the way to go...thank you everyone...I'll definitely get in touch with that Fereteria Ochoa as well as others to get a good grip on material costs...this is a labour of love that ...take care everyone.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
Cement is down in price from 6 months ago and Haitian labour is still 4-500 pesos a day for unskilled and 6-800 for skilled. In regards to buying cheaper than you can build, depends on the neighborhood. You can still build a nice house for US$650 a meter plus the lot and any additional items, pool, etc.
Something 1234 ,
Cost have gone up tremendusly lately. The cost of Cement, Rebar and labour has sky rocketed. The recent change to the status of Hatians has also affected the price of labour .

HTH

Olly and the Team

Feb 2, 2013
This is great thread. I am looking to do some construction in the Punta Cana area. We are quoted US$1200 for a very nice house in construction cost. I figure they have about 40% margin in this... So real cost for top top finishes is $850/sqm or so.

I like to work out a budget from the ground up. Figure out what concrete floor is per sqm. How much is a wall using 17 blocks per sqm. How much is basic plumbing, how much is basic electricity, how much is a kitchen, how much is Coralina for floor per sqm. This way you get to a realistic materials budget.

So lets start, what could finished concrete with rebars cost per sam? Do they sell premixed cement on trucks here in DR? Cost per cubic meter?

Cost for finished wall using blocks and cement?

Cost for coralina?

Does anyone have input?

Cheers
Sam

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Something 1234 ,

HTH

Olly and the Team

changed my mind