Occidental Grand

deknan

Sep 23, 2008
I have been reading this forum for the last 6 months and I now have my flights booked. All I need now is the lodging. I have been trying to get a good comparison between the Occidental Grand and Ocean Blue Beach and Golf Resort.
We will have a mixed crowd (about 12 people) from 18 to 55. Any help would be appreciated. This forum has provided so much information, I want to thank everyone.

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
occidental

I stayed at that hotel and ended up checking out early. The food was horrible! Drinks horrible! Thank God we brought a few bottles of Grey Goose.The only good thing is the location (next to Mangu) and a wonderful beach(show me a bad beach in Punta Cana).......the only decent food we found was the pizza on the second floor terrace. The beachside resturant has the same identical thing every day..bland and boring.
The resort is small, which makes walking around easier and it's close to the plaza (whopee).
I would recommend paying a little extra and upgrading to the VIP status, they have their own dining room and pool.
But my true recommendation, if affordable..."Paradisus" I've never been disappointed at that hotel.
Good Luck with either hotel, have fun and be patient with the quality of food. Bottom line you get what you pay for everytime!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
between the 2 of 'em i would prefer the Ocean sands.
occidental is within walking distance for the plaza, yes, but that's also within a 5 minutes cabby ride from the Ocean.
i like the beach at the occidental the same than at the Ocean Blue, but during the last months i received some mixed visitor's feedback from the occidental.
have fun
Mike

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
there is no way to compare. go to ocean blue. it is by far a better resort. good food, good drinks. the beach is the same.
also they have a much better price. go to their web page. now is less than 70 dlls.
last time i was in occidental i had around 6inches of water in my room. it happen when it rain.
good luck

jetti

Aug 25, 2008
I spent 3 weeks at Occidental in July and had a fantastic time. We didnt have any problems with the food or anything on the resort

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I have not been to the Occidental Grand but I have been to Ocean Blue and I really liked it! It was modern, fun and the food was very good! I enjoyed the facilities very much.

The pool was great and they have a good variety of drinks included at the bars. I was able to get a nice vodka and cranberry - gone are the days when you had to bring your own bottle of Ocean Spray hehehehe - I have a friend who still does that when she comes (I swear it's not me!!)

The restaurants have an excellent variety and even if you don't reserve the buffets are really nice. I enjoyed the stretch of beach but the pool was great too.

The shows are decent and the one disco inside is nice too, even though it is basic.

I can't wait to go again.