Deslindes will be mandatory beginning April 2009

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
As you may all know, the new Property Registry Law (Law #108-05) that has been in effect since April 4, 2007, and its enabling regulations, have drastically changed Dominican Real Estate law. One essential element of this modernization has been the requirement of a ?deslinde? for all real estate transactions: purchases, sales, mortgages, condominium formation, etc.

A ?deslinde? (?segregation? in English) is the legal procedure by which a portion of land within a parcel is segregated from all the other portions within the same parcel. In other words, the deslinde procedure converts a provisional title that guarantees the property right of ownership for a portion of land within a bigger parcel into a definite title that guarantees the ownership of an individual parcel. The result of the procedure is that the segregated portion will become its own parcel with its individual cadastral designation, guaranteed by a definite title. The majority of jurisdictions around the world only recognize and register segregated portions of land and do not allow any transactions of portions of land that are not segregated. The purpose of the new Property Registry Law is to reach exactly the same level of sophistication and security as these modern jurisdictions have had for a long time: no recorded property rights without a deslinde.

The deslinde requirement introduces such a profound change to the Dominican land registry system that the law establishes a transitional period ? from April 4, 2007 until April 4, 2009? during which real estate transactions of properties without a ?deslinde? are still possible, although severely restricted. Beginning April 4, 2009, however, real estate transactions without a deslinde will be prohibited. This means that from that date forward, the Registrar of Titles will not record any real estate transaction of a property without a ?deslinde?.

Although this itself is a small revolution ?in the past most property transactions took place without a deslinde? the modernization of the Dominican Property Registry Law goes much further. The procedure itself has been significantly modified. Under the new law, the surveyor has to use G.P.S. coordinates to segregate the property. In addition, it is now mandatory that the deslinde go through a judicial phase at the First Instance Land Court, requiring assistance by an attorney, as opposed to the old system, when the vast majority of the deslindes were handled administratively without contradiction, giving rise to widespread fraud. The current procedure is divided into three phases:

1. The ?survey phase?. A certified surveyor measures the property using G.P.S. coordinates, after having given notice to all the owners of the neighboring properties. Once finished, the survey is submitted to the Regional Survey Office (a dependency of the Superior Land Court) for review. If approved, the Office provides the new parcel with a new cadastral designation and allows the procedure to continue to the second phase.

2. The ?judicial phase?. The deslinde goes to the First Instance Land Court where neighbors or any interested third party may object to the deslinde. Parties must be represented by attorneys in this phase. After debate, the Judge rules on the deslinde petition. This ruling is subject to appeals. If the deslinde is approved, the Judge authorizes the Registrar of Title to cancel the old provisional title and to issue the new definite title with the new cadastral designation.

3. The ?registration phase?. The Judge?s ruling is executed by the Registrar of Titles cancelling the old provisional title and issuing the new definite title.

As mentioned, beginning April 4, 2009, real estate transaction of non-?deslinded? properties will be prohibited. Our recommendation, therefore, is for you to check if you own any property without a deslinde, and if you do, or are not sure if you do or not, contact your real estate attorney in order to assist you in this matter.

Reactions: Castellamonte

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As always, a very well written, easy to understand update for all of us! Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Excellent info! I suspect there is going to be a lot of contests (read fighting) to property lines going forward.

In the city I see a lot of properties with common walls, abutted walls or walls built over neighbor's air space.

In the countryside, I have seen movable picket fences, streams, tree lines routinely used to delineate property lines.

It'll be nice to actually know the extent of what you're buying without doubts being raised by the neighbor - 'eto e mio, co?o.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Get on the wagon fast.

Even though there are several surveyors offering the services, only a few are qualified for GPS work. These elite few are very busy with their own clients so don't have much time for "sub" work. Do your research and select a firm that doesn't have to give out the contract or expect to wait for a long time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Moved from other thread as requested

Originally Posted by J D Sauser
I am hearing mixed and vague interpretations about the April 2009 deadline regarding deslindes.

What is it exactly about?
What will the process of owning, selling or acquiring land, lots, homes and horizontal property look like, when there has been no deslinde performed nor applied for after the mentioned deadline?
Thanks! ... J-D.
What it looks like is if you do not have the deslines or title, you will not be able to sell your property after April 2009.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Originally Posted by J D Sauser
I am hearing mixed and vague interpretations about the April 2009 deadline regarding deslindes.

What is it exactly about?
What will the process of owning, selling or acquiring land, lots, homes and horizontal property look like, when there has been no deslinde performed nor applied for after the mentioned deadline?
Thanks! ... J-D.
What it looks like is if you do not have the deslines or title, you will not be able to sell your property after April 2009.

Thanks... I just realized only now that there was this sticky thread to this very subject.
It's funny, I was talking about this very subject three times this week... seems the word is getting around.

I think my questions have been answered.

... J-D.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
How are condos viewed within this new law?

Fabio will answer this I am certain but my understanding is that post April 2009 even condos will have to have the deslindes completed BEFORE you can offer them for sale. Of course this will drastically increase the price of up front development costs since you could be looking at getting 50+ separate deslindes before you can sell anything. Ouch!

But...maybe I'm wrong...Fabio?...Julio...mommy?

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
Who pays for the deslinde process (seller, buyer, both)? And how long does the process usually take?

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
surveyors and deslinde

Even though there are several surveyors offering the services, only a few are qualified for GPS work. These elite few are very busy with their own clients so don't have much time for "sub" work. Do your research and select a firm that doesn't have to give out the contract or expect to wait for a long time.

Can you recommend one?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Can you recommend one?

I'll check with them and get back to you. The last time I spoke to their Rep., he told me they had too much work and weren't taking on new clients. They do a lot of work for the big banks "Mortgages".

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Who pays for the deslinde process (seller, buyer, both)? And how long does the process usually take?

From Fabio J. Guzman post, it's the seller.

''As mentioned, beginning April 4, 2009, real estate transaction of non-?deslinded? properties will be prohibited. Our recommendation, therefore, is for you to check if you own any property without a deslinde, and if you do, or are not sure if you do or not, contact your real estate attorney in order to assist you in this matter.''

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
Soci?t? Anonyme

Does this law affect the sale of land held by a Corporation S.A. or can the Corporation be sold without the deslinde?

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Are pre-existing condo's covered by this requirement?

Fabio,
I own a condo unit in a 20 year old condo project that does not have a deslinde. Does this law require that this project get a deslinde in order for transfers of ownership of condo units to proceed?
Thank you.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Fabio,
I own a condo unit in a 20 year old condo project that does not have a deslinde. Does this law require that this project get a deslinde in order for transfers of ownership of condo units to proceed?
Thank you.

Islander 777, this is a really good question for which I don't have an answer right now. I'll have somebody check back home. (I'm currently in the US).

There are many old condominiums in the DR built on land without a deslinde. Each condo owner holds a separate title for each unit. To do a deslinde now would be a logistical nightmare: getting all the titles from the owners together, dealing with the new condo law amendments, etc.

Reactions: MikeFisher

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Does this law affect the sale of land held by a Corporation S.A. or can the Corporation be sold without the deslinde?

Sr, Guzman,

El Viejo asks a very interesting question. Was there a provision in the law to address this type of situation?

Thank you.

MY APOOGIES, I MISSED YOUR EARLIER ANSWER

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that?s an very interesting one, and will effect many people, wow.
it reminded me about a very small only 1 tarea property with wooden house i bought together with a friend of mine out of the family?s big finca property a longer while ago, we never took a title on our name, time to do so.
the Condo situation is interesting to hear about the law/rules finally, because i would assume that the very most condo users on the island never received a separate title/deslinde for their property, at least not within the crowd of people i know here in pc who own condos.
one question from me:
can a title/deslinde be done in the name of 2/several owners who are not with each other asociated in a company or such/just as private persons purchasing a property together(not a condo, i mean a property with house aso, the whole stuff)??
Mike

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
that?s an very interesting one, and will effect many people, wow.
it reminded me about a very small only 1 tarea property with wooden house i bought together with a friend of mine out of the family?s big finca property a longer while ago, we never took a title on our name, time to do so.
the Condo situation is interesting to hear about the law/rules finally, because i would assume that the very most condo users on the island never received a separate title/deslinde for their property, at least not within the crowd of people i know here in pc who own condos.
one question from me:
can a title/deslinde be done in the name of 2/several owners who are not with each other asociated in a company or such/just as private persons purchasing a property together(not a condo, i mean a property with house aso, the whole stuff)??
Mike

Some condo apartment buildings actually even sit on land still owned by the developer! There must be some real funny contracts around. It's a mess, but I think, for once "they're" right... no other way than to bit the bullet and do it.
I however think they should have some expedited standard procedure package for condos... or it will be years of bickering by owners ans tigueraje by developers.

... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes JD,
in case of the condos we are talking about a very large number of cases, they have to figure out a very well route how to handle that, otherwise it would take forever with an immense workload and the judges busy for ever for strighting things up.
Mike