Riu Palace and helicopter trips?

bdmark

Sep 30, 2008
Hey...
I've been searching the site for about 1/2 hour and can't find any of the answers that I am looking for. So, now I am posting! Can anyone provide some insight into:
  • The Riu Palace resort
  • A reputable helicopter tour company
  • If the marina park where you swim with the dolphins is any good
Thanks! We are going down to PC in February and I want to propose to my girlfriend while there...so if anyone can throw out some romantic destinations as well, that would be great!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
to be honest, i can tell you that Riu was my favorite chain years ago. riu palace macao and bambu were my choices before they opened my 3 favorites resorts (majestic, ocean blue, Bahia P ambar).
I went to riu palace punta cana last year with high expectations. but i was disappointment and overwhelming with the over decorated lobby. large chandeliers, marble, miguel angel, bottichelli painting all over the lobby, roman style furniture, etc, etc, etc, lot of different styles and period. all FAKE. dont get me wrong, if you are not an architect (I am), artist, etc, you will find this lobby huge and opulent. and maybe you will like.
once you pass the lobby, there is another story.
the grounds, pool, jacussy are great.
the food quality is the big problem in this resort.
Is something that has not explanation, but i found better food in riu bambu and macao, even in Taino.
In my opinion, I prefer the riu palace macao. it?s older, but has more character. the victorian architecture is more simple.

bdmark

Sep 30, 2008
Thanks guys for your insight. I am staying at the Riu Palace Punta Cana and I had that information as well, I was just wondering if someone could provide a more "insider" view of the place, i.e., which rooms / floors are the quietest, crowds, etc.

But I will definitely stay away from the marine park. I don't want to support someplace that has a bad reputation.

As for the helicopters...I did see Helidosa previously. Do they do trips beyond what their website says? I've tried contacting them and have not received a response.

Or are there any other operators? I've tried scouring the internet for places but it seems that not too many places in the DR have their own websites.

I'd sort of like to take a trip to the border of Haiti and see the rainforest there.

But thank you guys, again, for all your help!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I'd sort of like to take a trip to the border of Haiti and see the rainforest there.

???

I'll admit I'm not particularly well traveled when it comes to the Haitian border (not really sure why one would want to be - LOL) but I've always had the impression that the North East corner of the DR abutting Haiti was rather dry as I recall seeing cacti in some of Paul Gerace's photos.

As far as taking a helicopter, do you realize how far it is from PUJ? It would be a number of hours and cost hundreds and maybe thousands of dollars to charter a helicopter, IMHO. The DR is a large country by Caribbean standards.

Gregg