Donate School Supplies in SD on Weekend

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
We are traveling to the capital in early October and we have the opportunity to bring some school supplies to donate. We will only be there for a few days from Friday night to early Monday morning. Would anyone know a good place that we could drop off the donation over the weekend? We will be staying near Parque Independencia in the Zona Colonial and will not have a car. Perhaps a church or other worthy organization nearby. It is not a big deal, maybe a suitcase full but every little bit helps. We would be willing to take a cab ride if need be. Our other option would be to take it with us when we take the bus out to Barahona but we were hoping not to have to schlep an extra bag halfway across the country. Thanks for any ideas.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........Would anyone know a good place that we could drop off the donation over the weekend?..........

Try sending Sascha on DR1 a PM. She does a lot of volunteer work at an orphanage on George Washington Av (Malecon). The orphanage is across the street from Adrian Tropical Restaurant. It may take her a few days to reply as she is in the DR now, volunteering.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/72748-volunteering-my-1st-trip-sd.html

Flickr: sascha604's Photostream

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Still Looking

Thanks for your reply Bigbird. I PM'd Sascha but did not get a reply. I may try to just go to the orphanage across from Adrian Tropical but I am a little reluctant to just show up knocking on thier door. Do you happen to know the name of the orphanage? Time grows short as I will arrive in the capital at the end of this week. Thanks for your help.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for your reply Bigbird. I PM'd Sascha but did not get a reply. I may try to just go to the orphanage across from Adrian Tropical but I am a little reluctant to just show up knocking on thier door. Do you happen to know the name of the orphanage? Time grows short as I will arrive in the capital at the end of this week. Thanks for your help.

The name of the orphanage is Villa Bendicion. I will try to contact Sascha this evening. I believe she will be in the DR for another two months volunteering at the orphange. For photos double click this link:

Flickr: sascha604's Photostream

Check your PM..........

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
thank you!!

WOW...its been so long since ive logged on, i almost forgot my password. volunteering and being with the kids here is keeping me really busy (but thats a trip report for when i get back :ermm:)

thank you to the OP for his post and being so generous and bringing supplies to the DR...every little bit helps and the kids at villa bendicion and biblos will definitely appreciate your generousity and thoughtfulness.

***the OP and i will be meeting in SD tomorrow to bring the supplies over to VB!!!***

thanks bigbird for getting us together...its amazing how strangers on the site can come together and make a difference!!

saludos!