STDs and the DR

Have you or someone you know contracted an STD in the DR?

• Yes

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 111 75.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Have you or someone you know contracted an STD in the DR?

A) Yes

B) No

Poll originator: Sammytheman

-NALs

Everyone is always saying Aids is rampant in DR and all the girls in the street are sick, I have been coming regularly for 16 years now and all the girls are pretty healthy as far as I can see. So I believe that there is no more of a risk of an STD in DR than any other country in my opinion.I also haven't been a saint while coming here for those 16 years and knock on wood I have never caught anything in DR.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Everyone is always saying Aids is rampant in DR and all the girls in the street are sick, I have been coming regularly for 16 years now and all the girls are pretty healthy as far as I can see. So I believe that there is no more of a risk of an STD in DR than any other country in my opinion.I also haven't been a saint while coming here for those 16 years and knock on wood I have never caught anything in DR.

Looks can be deceiving!!

You have never caught anything because you obviously are using protection if dealing with a "chica".;)

Even if you have a steady girlfriend that you see a few times a year, you have to make sure that she remains loyal only to you in order to not use protection. You can not make sure that she will not cheat in order to not use protection . How about unwanted babies AND then................headaches

So the best advise is USE PROTECTION:glasses:

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
Give me a break!

I think you haven't caught anything because you've been very lucky. You certainly don't seem too clever. You can't tell if someone has AIDS or any other STD by just looking at them. Someone who appears healthy could very well have an STD. Don't you know anything??? It's unbelieveable that in this day in age, people are still spouting these sorts of a** backward comments!

I think the health professionals/organizations that have made statements about the high numbers of AIDS/STDs in the DR have access to far more data than you do!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think you haven't caught anything because you've been very lucky. You certainly don't seem too clever. You can't tell if someone has AIDS or any other STD by just looking at them. Someone who appears healthy could very well have an STD. Don't you know anything??? It's unbelieveable that in this day in age, people are still spouting these sorts of a** backward comments!

I think the health professionals/organizations that have made statements about the high numbers of AIDS/STDs in the DR have access to far more data than you do!
cdngirl08,
Whether you are right or wrong is immaterial to my post. You could (& should)have put what you said a LOT more diplomatically.:glasses: :chinese: :surprised

badpiece33 is a well known poster & even GREATER experience in the DR. Look at the number of posts he has made, read again how long he has been coming here AND read again what he wrote!! Perhaps you would care to throttle back a bit on your aggression - badpiece33 KNOWS what he is talking about!! ~ Grahame.:pirate: :ermm:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Aids is much more rampant among the Haitian migrant population in the DR than in the local Dominican population. The same holds true with a few other diseases like malaria, polio, and a handful of other diseases. The culprit for such is the lack of initiative in Haiti for eradicating those diseases, putting Haitians at a greater risk and contracting such diseases at alarming rates and then, when they migrate to DR many arrive infected. In fact, malaria and polio were eradicated in the DR a few decades ago and only recently made a reappearance, again due to the migration of Haitians infected with such diseases.

The same holds true in many other indicators such as the infant mortality rates, poverty rates, etc. Most of them are skewed by the effects of Haitian migration. In fact, the places in the DR where the risk of contracting such diseases is high is where ever there is a heavy presence of Haitian migrants.

-NALs ;)

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I do two women that have come back pregnant, now wheter they contacted an STD? that i dont know, so the risk was there!!

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
cdngirl08,
Whether you are right or wrong is immaterial to my post. You could (& should)have put what you said a LOT more diplomatically.:glasses: :chinese: :surprised

badpiece33 is a well known poster & even GREATER experience in the DR. Look at the number of posts he has made, read again how long he has been coming here AND read again what he wrote!! Perhaps you would care to throttle back a bit on your aggression - badpiece33 KNOWS what he is talking about!! ~ Grahame.:pirate: :ermm:

You're absolutely correct BushBaby...a more gentler tone is needed. Thanks for the reminder! I think my remarks were a bit pointed, but not aggressive. Let's not over dramatize here!

I'm sure badpiece33 is a great poster and has a wealth of information on the DR, but he clearly is not an expert on AIDS/STDS in the DR...no matter how long he's been there or what he's gotten up to during that time. I'm not an expert either, but I do know someone who died of AIDS back in 1993. He looked just like the rest of us..99.99% of the time. If you didn't know him, you would have never known he had the disease. At the very end( the last month or so), he looked sick..like any dying person would in hospital. To hear people say things like the problem of AIDS/STDS can't be that prevalent in the DR because people look healthy...sorry...it riles me.

You're absolutely correct BushBaby...a more gentler tone is needed. Thanks for the reminder! I think my remarks were a bit pointed, but not aggressive. Let's not over dramatize here!

I'm sure badpiece33 is a great poster and has a wealth of information on the DR, but he clearly is not an expert on AIDS/STDS in the DR...no matter how long he's been there or what he's gotten up to during that time. I'm not an expert either, but I do know someone who died of AIDS back in 1993. He looked just like the rest of us..99.99% of the time. If you didn't know him, you would have never known he had the disease. At the very end( the last month or so), he looked sick..like any dying person would in hospital. To hear people say things like the problem of AIDS/STDS can't be that prevalent in the DR because people look healthy...sorry...it riles me.

How did your friend contract aids back in 1993? Blood tranfusion? Homosexual or hetorosexual? drug user? It is a proven fact Aids is almost impossible to contract through normal hetorsexual sex especially for the male.

cdngirl08,

Why thank you very much Bushbaby for coming to my defense, you truly are a great neighbor,but I don't mind taking some shots now and then.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
How did your friend contract aids back in 1993? Blood tranfusion? Homosexual or hetorosexual? drug user? It is a proven fact Aids is almost impossible to contract through normal hetorsexual sex especially for the male.

Badpiece,

With all due respect, that's simply not true. It's harder to contract it, but not "almost impossible." Your best bet, if you're going to be having casual encounters with a large number of people, is to use protection.

Unlike what AZB and others say, HIV can be caught and passed on by anyone, including well-to-do Dominicans. Socioeconomic status or sexual orientation really have little to do with it.

Badpiece,

With all due respect, that's simply not true. It's harder to contract it, but not "almost impossible." Your best bet, if you're going to be having casual encounters with a large number of people, is to use protection.

Unlike what AZB and others say, HIV can be caught and passed on by anyone, including well-to-do Dominicans. Socioeconomic status or sexual orientation really have little to do with it.

Here are some websites you should look at. The Dominican Republic and many other countries benifit from scaring people about aids, they get lots of $$$$ for this so called epidemic.You can catch all types of std's if you mess around with some prostitutes in any country but all I'm saying is aids is the least of your worries. In any case I will stick to meeting my so called good girls in the universities of Santiago,Moca,Mao and even some in Puerto Plata and lessen my risk of catching anything,instead of being hunted down by some of the pros in clasicos or other discos in Sosua,even if I sometimes fall off the wagon and end up in Clasicos ;)

AidsMythBuster

HIV & AIDS - The Epidemic of African AIDS Hysteria

Additional Praise for The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS

Duesberg on AIDS- Words From The Front- CDC

Last edited:
Reactions: cobraboy

mancunian

Sep 24, 2008
HIV can be caught and passed on by anyone, including well-to-do Dominicans. Socioeconomic status or sexual orientation really have little to do with it. (drob)

The two lines above are what we should take note of . and as far as i can see in all post's it is clear that sex education still needs to be taught to us older folk's.
STD and STI's do not discriminate...........fact. ignorance is a killer..

Reactions: FernieBee

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
HIV can be caught and passed on by anyone, including well-to-do Dominicans. Socioeconomic status or sexual orientation really have little to do with it. (drob)

The two lines above are what we should take note of . and as far as i can see in all post's it is clear that sex education still needs to be taught to us older folk's.
STD and STI's do not discriminate...........fact. ignorance is a killer..
I was a pioneer in the IV therapy treatment of patients at home, from '87 to '98, when AIDS was a death sentence. At one time, my company had nearly a thousand AIDS patients throughout FL in various stages of the diseases. I had literally dozens of HIV/AIDS sufferers working in clerical jobs, many were great friends amd colleagues that I saw suffer and die. Several board certified infectious disease physicians sat on my medical advisory board, and I was personally on the boards of 8 high-profile HIV/AIDS community coalitions in FL. I have seen the disease up close and personal like few ever get a chance. It's something I know a little about (granted, I've been out of the industry for a while now, but am still in touch somewhat; it has shrunken considerably).

Here is an interesting factoid that was relayed to me by a physician whose practice was, at one time, specifically targeted toward HIV/AIDS (she has expanded to MRSA, a bigger problem today, in her opinion, than HIV/AIDS): by a large margin, there are more diagnoses of breast cancer in males in the US than diagnoses of HIV/AIDS in non-IV drug using, non-hemopheliac strict heterosexual males.

While I would NEVER come close to condoning not using protection with anyone you didn't know, IMO (based on the opinions of folks who know), the fear of contracting HIV/AIDS as a strictly non-IV drug using heterosexual male is not that high on the list of reasons why. There are MANY other real, easily contracted diseases that are much more of a concern for a heterosexual male.

Yes, it's possible. But in real risk analysis, a vacationer to the DR (or anywhere) is much more likely to die in MANY other activities than consorting, unprotected, with professional trollops. Personally, I'd be MUCH more worried of a jealous BF of a hooker, than contracting a disease from the hooker. THAT is risky behavior.;)

Now women and HIV/AIDS? That is a different story altogether.

Patrick/Badpiece is correct about male risk factors regarding HIV/AIDS. He is merely stating a non PC fact.

BTW-his link to Micheal Fumento is excellent. Fumento has done more statistical research on the HIV/AIDS heterosexual (non) "epidemic" than anyone on the planet (on the tail of And the Band Played On, another exccellent read on the subject) and his findings have yet to be refuted.

mancunian

Sep 24, 2008
:cheeky:we are firing the same bullets, but our guns are diffrent.. and i'm more than happy with the one i have.:cheeky: [/I]
I wouldnt go out in the DR with out my condoms.and yes i do know someone who has caught , a STD. like I SAID IGNORANCE IS A KILLER, STD'S and STI'S regardless do not discriminate. fact. and i would not be taking any chance's based on that. and not on what i have read here.

I was a pioneer in the IV therapy treatment of patients at home, from '87 to '98, when AIDS was a death sentence. At one time, my company had nearly a thousand AIDS patients throughout FL in various stages of the diseases. I had literally dozens of HIV/AIDS sufferers working in clerical jobs, many were great friends amd colleagues that I saw suffer and die. Several board certified infectious disease physicians sat on my medical advisory board, and I was personally on the boards of 8 high-profile HIV/AIDS community coalitions in FL. I have seen the disease up close and personal like few ever get a chance. It's something I know a little about (granted, I've been out of the industry for a while now, but am still in touch somewhat; it has shrunken considerably).

Here is an interesting factoid that was relayed to me by a physician whose practice was, at one time, specifically targeted toward HIV/AIDS (she has expanded to MRSA, a bigger problem today, in her opinion, than HIV/AIDS): by a large margin, there are more diagnoses of breast cancer in males in the US than diagnoses of HIV/AIDS in non-IV drug using, non-hemopheliac strict heterosexual males.

While I would NEVER come close to condoning not using protection with anyone you didn't know, IMO (based on the opinions of folks who know), the fear of contracting HIV/AIDS as a strictly non-IV drug using heterosexual male is not that high on the list of reasons why. There are MANY other real, easily contracted diseases that are much more of a concern for a heterosexual male.

Yes, it's possible. But in real risk analysis, a vacationer to the DR (or anywhere) is much more likely to die in MANY other activities than consorting, unprotected, with professional trollops. Personally, I'd be MUCH more worried of a jealous BF of a hooker, than contracting a disease from the hooker. THAT is risky behavior.;)

Now women and HIV/AIDS? That is a different story altogether.

Patrick/Badpiece is correct about male risk factors regarding HIV/AIDS. He is merely stating a non PC fact.

BTW-his link to Micheal Fumento is excellent. Fumento has done more statistical research on the HIV/AIDS heterosexual (non) "epidemic" than anyone on the planet (on the tail of And the Band Played On, another exccellent read on the subject) and his findings have yet to be refuted.

Yes finally someone to back me up on this issue.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
These finding are all taken with a grain of salt in my book.

I will still continue to use protection.

You are in greater danger of getting hit by lightning than an airplane crashing BUT airplanes do crash once in a while. I would not want to be in that plane when it crashes.

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008

I wouldn't say that Aids is "almost impossible" to contract through normal heterosexual sex....maybe less likely than other forms of transmission perhaps. If that were the case, my friend would be alive today.
He died as a result of infection through heterosexual sex. He had only 2/3 gfs in his life and one of them gave it to him. He was not a drug user. And in the town about 1.5 hours from where I used to live, a guy was brought up on criminal charges in 1991/1992 for knowingly infecting a 4 women with HIV. They are all dead now.

I hope you are having safe sex buddy because you I think you some of your ideas are a little dated and inaccurate. Take care!