Places to see????

E

Erica Eriksson

Hi!

In marz next year I?m going on my second trip to DR but this time me and my 2 friends will just travel around. So I?m wondering if anyone could give us tips what is worth to see and where we can live cheap but good. Last time we were in Cabarete and Sosua but now we would like to see Santo Domingo, Santiago, Boca Chica, La Romana, Punta Cana ans. Not everywhere at the same time but the best of it if you can say.

Thank you
Erica

S

Susanne

Samana. Most definitely.

The peninsula is stunning, very green with low mountains, lovely beaches and lots of little independent resorts and hotels, some of which are perfect on a fairly tight budget. It is not as crowded as some other areas and yet you will find tourist facilities.

You can get more information on <A HREF="http://www.samana.net">www.samana.net</A> but otherwise I would suggest either Las Galeras or Las Terrenas. The latter is the most lively of the two whereas in Las Galeras you can get a real away from it all feeling - your basic Robinson Crusoe experience. Both are in beautiful surroundings. The town of Samana is interesting as well, but mainly for a day trip. I doubt I would stay there.

As for Punta Cana: Not that much to see and hardly any - if any at all - little independent hotels. But certainly some of the absolute best beaches on the island.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,
Susanne

B

Bob

Travelchannel UK on DR travel

If you folks can get Travelchannel (the UK branch : <A HREF="http://www.travelchannel.co.uk">www.travelchannel.co.uk</A> ) off the Astra-satellite or through cable, it features a few interesting programs on travelling to and in the DR.
Never miss Santo Domingo on your DR-trip. You'll be sorry you did on so much history and beautiful people.

N

Natasha

Go to Santo Domingo. It is the oldest European-settled city in the New World that is full of history, attractions, great night life and excitement. It also provides the opportunity to interact with Dominicans from all different backgrounds, not just those working in the tourism industry.

Regards,
Natasha

E

Erica Eriksson

Thank you for answering but do you have name on these places that is worth to see, and what about hotels. We would like a quite cheap hotel it doesn?t have to be the best just cosy with nice stuff and in the center. Thank you once again.
Erica

N

Natasha

There are many moderately priced and inexpensive hotels throughout the capital. One that is popular with board members here is the Hispaniola Hotel...Charlie W. can you post rates and contact information for Erica, please? You can also choose to stay in old Santo Domingo, more commonly referred to as the Colonial Zone. I am personally familar with Hotel Palacio (809) 682-4730. This is a small, delightful inn in the heart of the old city, which was the home of a former president. The rooms are all done in antiques (bathrooms are modern ;-))...a very lovely place indeed.

The attractions are endless, really. The main one to savor is: the Colonial Zone! Spend at least a couple of days here. Although many efforts have been made to "modernize" the old city, this is indeed a place that will take you back in time. You won't find the "theme park" atmosphere that one encounters in say, Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. I suggest you get a good guidebook on the DR (Lonely Planet's, Harry S. Pariser's, etc.) to get a headstart.

Just to name a very few top attractions:

Catedral Primada de America (first cathedral of the Americas, perhaps completed in 1545 or before)

San Francisco Ruins (first monastery in the Americas)

El Convento de los Dominicos or simply called El Convento (1510, but it became a university in 1538 making it the first university in the Americas - today, the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo).

Calle Las Damas - first street in the New World.

Fort Ozama (1503), a truly magnificent place! There's a small craft shop and museum here. You will be truly fascinated.

Alcazar de Colon - the former residence of Diego Colon, son of the infamous admiral (Columbus).

The Sundial (1750's)

The Atarazana (the first commercial center of the New World)

Modern Santo Domingo offers endless museums, art galleries, shopping, restaurants, and clubs (some even in natural caves).

Visit Los Tres Ojos - the Three Eyes of Water - a series of actually four, not three, interconnected underwater ponds of volcanic origin, right in the middle of the city. A site not to be missed.

The omnipotent and controversial Columbus Lighthouse (El Faro) is something we Dominicans could have done without, but nonetheless is worth a visit to see all the magnificent artwork displayed here.

Mirador Sur Park - was built to commemorate the Indians. It has a large cave where bats, yes, bats abound so visit during the day. This is a magnificent park where you can picnic, relax, jog, bicycle and really be away from the noisy city.

I have left out many, many other attractions. Like I said, get a good guidebook and bring your walking shoes! Hope this helps!

Regards,
Natasha

E

Erica Eriksson

Thank you very much Natasha, you?ve been a great help.
Erica