Legally married

Lul

Oct 8, 2008
I was married in the dominican replublic in 1994.

I have been told that if my marriage wasnot registered with a translation at the british embassy, it is not recognised as legal outside of the dominican republic.

I have only had a spanish certificate.

Would my Tour operator have done this, as they did all the arrangements for us to marry in the dominican republic?

The home office site mentiones that for a marriage to be recognised in this country, an english translation would need to be logged with the Register general and that they retian my original and give me a certified copy.

This was not done !

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Lul

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Marriage in DR

Hi Lul,

My wife & I tied the knot over here in 2004 @ the ICD and, like yourself, only have the certificate in Spanish and haven't registered it with any UK authorities since our return.

I hope that the DR1'ers will be able to shine a light on this one as we hadn't thought anything about it until we saw your post.

Regards

Reidy

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I am aware your marriage is legal in the Uk but is not entered in the registrar of Birth, Marriages and Deaths. In order to enter it it must be translated. I suggest you contact your local registry of Births, MArriages and deaths and check out the foreign office (FCO) web site re marriages abroad.

matilda