What is the best way to call DR?

LuisT

Oct 9, 2008
Hi, I am brand new to the forum and I am really looking for the best way (and most affordable) to call Barahona. I am in the USA and i cant any real deals. Any suggestions?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Last edited:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
where in the US will you be calling from? there are a LOT of calling cards one can find to make international calls. Who will you be calling? In other words...is it a land line? or a cell phone? Keep in mind calling land lines is MUCH CHEAPER than calling a cell phone. I am in New York and get great calling cards in New York City that give me long talk times. There are two i prefer using [STi cards] that give me 1 hour talk time to a hard line for $2, 22 minutes talk time to a cell phone. cant beat that for $2! :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........22 minutes talk time to a cell phone. cant beat that for $2! :)

Try one of the online calling cards and get the same rate. What I found to be an advantage is you don't have to go to the store to purchase a card. I started using the calling cards you purchase at a bodega but I always ended up with a couple of unused minutes on the card. With the online calling service my account is automatically recharged (optional) when my balance drops to $10 USD. I never have to worry about running to the store or running out of minutes in the middle of a conversation.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ive never tried buying anything online, i should give it a shot as it does beat having to go to the store to buy cards. i usually buy a stack to keep in handy in case i need to make a few calls. but are the rates as competitive? i have not found anyone that can beat 1 hour for $2 on a land line in DR! :eek:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
ive never tried buying anything online, i should give it a shot as it does beat having to go to the store to buy cards. i usually buy a stack to keep in handy in case i need to make a few calls. but are the rates as competitive? i have not found anyone that can beat 1 hour for $2 on a land line in DR! :eek:

Give it a try I think you will be pleased. DR1 has a banner ad for Pingo with a special for new accounts. I can't quote a rate to a land line in the DR because I don't know anyone who has a land line. I guess I must be hanging out with the wrong people. ;)

Are the rates competitive? I would say YES. There are no wasted minutes like with the paper calling cards.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
thanks bigbird, i hope the rates are competitive because i HATE calling cell phones....i hate getting ripped off for calling a cell phone, and then sometimes calls get dropped, or battery dies...ugh...but anyways i am not here to rant about cell phones.
i'll give Pingo a look and see what the deal is. hopefully i can compare and decide! :)

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
thanks bigbird, i hope the rates are competitive because i HATE calling cell phones....i hate getting ripped off for calling a cell phone, and then sometimes calls get dropped, or battery dies...ugh...but anyways i am not here to rant about cell phones.
i'll give Pingo a look and see what the deal is. hopefully i can compare and decide! :)

JALEN,

You can buy the STI cards online also. Although, I believe there are better ones that STI (too many fees). Check out Just Call, it is a NO fee card, about 11 cents p/m (anyone know how to type the cent symbol?:ermm:). Like Big Bird said you can just refill your cards (you set up your online account) and not waste any minutes. You can also follow your card and call usage online.

BTW Pingo is more $$$$

Have a good one!
Montreal

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey Montreal, thanks for the heads up. i know you can buy STi cards and many others online also but never tried it....but heres the thing, i know about the no fee cards and setting up accounts, but in all honesty the cards i can get in NYC are under 4 cents a minute....i have not found ANY card that can beat that, even the online ones. now if i am wrong please let me know. i know for convenience you cant beat setting up an account and paying for the minutes used but at under 4 cents a minute how can you beat that?
I am talking about calling a land line of course....i HATE calling cells because its a waste of a calling card in my opinion...sigh
there USED to be a card before that gave you UNLIMITED talk time to DR! i know because i used it before, but ONLY to land lines....a $2 card virtually unlimited talk time, i used it to talk for 5 hours passed the phone along to friends and family members. the catch was you HAD to use the card that one shot so just make sure someone is going to be on the receiving end of the phonecall and you can talk all day/night....they dont have that promotion any more.... :(

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
hey Montreal, thanks for the heads up. i know you can buy STi cards and many others online also but never tried it....but heres the thing, i know about the no fee cards and setting up accounts, but in all honesty the cards i can get in NYC are under 4 cents a minute....i have not found ANY card that can beat that, even the online ones. now if i am wrong please let me know. i know for convenience you cant beat setting up an account and paying for the minutes used but at under 4 cents a minute how can you beat that?
I am talking about calling a land line of course....i HATE calling cells because its a waste of a calling card in my opinion...sigh
there USED to be a card before that gave you UNLIMITED talk time to DR! i know because i used it before, but ONLY to land lines....a $2 card virtually unlimited talk time, i used it to talk for 5 hours passed the phone along to friends and family members. the catch was you HAD to use the card that one shot so just make sure someone is going to be on the receiving end of the phonecall and you can talk all day/night....they dont have that promotion any more.... :(

DAMN JALEN! That was a good deal!

Here's the link for Speedy Pin. It also rounds to the minute, I believe STI is 3! Plus zero fees. 2.3 cents to DR land line from US and 9.7 to a cell.

Man, I should get a cut of their profit for my sales pitch ;)

Dominican Republic Phone Cards - Calling Cards to Dominican Republic

Suerte!
Montreal

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

Yes, many of the cards give you more than an hour for $2. That's about 3? a minute or better if you can talk that long on a single call. I can?t so I usually get two twenty minute phone calls out of a $2 card which is still only 5? per minute, but I have to make them on consecutive days. If I wait until the third day to make the second call they say that I have insufficient funds to make that call. I?ve found that the STi cards give you more on a single call, but they evaporate quickly after the first call. In Rhode Island I use Beantown RI and Santo Domingo.

LuisT

Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for the replies

I need all the advice I could get. I also was inquiring about which prepaid cell phones has the rates and deals to call DR. I purchased a NET10 phone from Walmart, and the sales clerk told it would call DR. It does not.

So, if anyone has info on that also, it would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Atlanta area, so if any has specific tips about the Southeast that be great also. Right now, I have been using grocery store cards that are 10 dollars for 60 minutes.
Just trying to find something more cost effective. Also, how do the round offs work?

Thanks

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
........... (anyone know how to type the cent symbol?:ermm:)...........

The Cents symbol is "hex" 155... 11?

Hold down the "Alt" key, type in "155", then release "Alt" key.

10qibex.gif

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
Check this out

Check out Rebtel. From US to DR Land line is 4.9?/min. Cellphone 9.9?/min.

International calling rates ? Rebtel

I have used it and the clarity/connection is great. If you sign up use this voucher code Free60DR and you get 60 minutes free.

I did have one slight problem though, which was corrected. When I first joined and entered one of the numbers I wanted to call, their database indicated that I was calling a cellphone, when it was really a land line. After a couple of emails to the Customer Service manager, they corrected the database.

May 12, 2005
Well if both people have access to the internet and a computer, you can talk live by using MSN Messenger. Just click on the start call icon.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
get the people here to buy a Magic jack and with that they get a US Phone #. Then you dial the US phone # and if YOU have a Magic Jack too then its free. I just installed one here at my house in the DR and Have a Michigan Phone #. When they set up the Magic jack, they can select which state, which area code and which exchange within the area code ! So if they select the same exchange as yuo ! basically it is a LOcal call !

Catch: they need to have it connected to a High Speed internet connection here.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Oh, And they can call you for free too ! AS long as it is the same Area code and Long distance withion the states doesn't apply. I am still learning about it but I called my Mom today and was a crystal clear connection !