Dishonest Realtors in North Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm not going to name names, but I'm happy to point you in the direction of a good one and is well known on this board.

Curt Erickson.
Email: curt@dr1.com

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im surprised you didnt ask for recommendations for a good one rather than asking if any are dishonest- peoples opinions vary quite widely on many of the well known ones

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I would certainly recommend Curt.
There is one company on the north coast I wouldn't recommend and that is Property Center. In fact, they are not allowed to show or co-broker any of my properties.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Just so that you don't think that the rest are ALL rogues you could also speak with :-
West Indies Real Estate (speak to Linda or Jose Loinas & tell them DR1 sent you)
CoralBay Real Estate (speak to Sandy - same message)
ReMax Cabarete (speak to Andy - same message but say Yaboo-sucks!:cheeky:!)
American Real Estate (speak to Jim Belair & say 'Hi' from me)!!

The Dishonest RE people you can find out about by just asking around in Sosua - their names will come up fairly quickly I am sure & BODY language will be very noticeable.

I am in the Puerto Plata area so I am sure the Sosua crowd know a lot more of the REPUTABLE RE companies!! ~ Grahame.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Do you know which Realtors I should stay away from in Sosua area?

Remember when you ask if someone is dishonest or not the answer you may get will not necessarily be a straight response. People are often concerned about the legal implications of saying something negative about someone else where it may impact their ability to earn a living. So watch the body language and other hints.

It'll be obvious :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
a real estate agent is just a shop window for selling property and land as far as I'm concerned - some of the people that work at the larger concerns have no idea what they are doing ....I had a viewing organised by one this morning that lasted about five seconds as the buyers were looking for a small two bedroomed property and ours is a six bedroomed house on three floors (know your properties I would say ) - some are not dishonest...they just have no clue

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
a real estate agent is just a shop window for selling property and land as far as I'm concerned - some of the people that work at the larger concerns have no idea what they are doing ....I had a viewing organised by one this morning that lasted about five seconds as the buyers were looking for a small two bedroomed property and ours is a six bedroomed house on three floors (know your properties I would say ) - some are not dishonest...they just have no clue

This is correct! Since there are no licensing laws here for real estate agents and agencies quite literally anyone can be a 'real estate agent.' Out of the one thousand 'realtors' in Sosua I think there are about 4 of them who are trained, qualified realtors and they are all mentioned here.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Just had to throw in my two bits for Jim Belair from American Realty. By far the best experience we have ever had with a real estate agent including all transactions here in Canada.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'll do the same for Jens Pydde of Coldwell Banker Northcoast. Found him to be above board in his dealings & overall the buying process went smoothly.

Sometimes also, I think certain properties have underlying problems of which even the realtors aren't aware - and that's where your attorney is possibly more important in doing the due diligence on title, corporation, liens, etc. Regardless, buying any real estate involves substantial money so 'buyer beware'.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have dealt with most of the people mentioned above (buying or selling) and agree. There are a few others but for now, you have a good start.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I would like to recommend Garth Howe from Blue Sky Realty. He went above and beyond in helping us find exactly what we were looking for. He spent many hours before our arrival in identifying potential properties and worked long hours the whole time we were in the DR. We worked in the past with another realtor who is often recommended on this board (from one of the big name real estate companies) and there is no comparison. Our former realtor pushed what was easy, or properties which were offering additional incentives (for him) not really caring what we wanted. Anyway we would definately use Garth again.

rglennbaker@mac.com

Oct 14, 2008
you are all right. the body language of the realtor i am talking about was very questionable. he invited me down there to publish a real estate booklet for him and said i could make a good living doing this, and then once i got there, everything changed. no more real estate guide and he wanted me to now become sales agent for him. but, when i asked around, everyone, without exception, said he was not honest. i spent over $2,000 to get down there and nothing was as it seemed.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Insurance

Use Title insurance and have them handle escrow and closing.... no matter who you deal with. There are bad sellers also and even a honest agent may not know..... Insurance is affordable... First American or Stewart Title
Carib

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
in your original post you asked who we thought were dishonest real estate agents- it now seems you have already met one which you havent named ...do you really expect anyone to name one

Status
Not open for further replies.