Fishing possibilities in Samana area

noxman

Oct 16, 2008
Me and my girlfriend is visiting for the first time. And wonder about fishing in Samana. Have read a bit about Las Terrenas and trips from there. Any recommendations? Capocean seems to be ok?
And is there possebilities to go fishing without boat? Just relaxing from the shore with bait ? I wanna do some fishing while my girlfriend is enjoying the sun:) Cant imagine that my patience last for several hours on the beach..hehe

Is it possible to buy some fishing gear\bait there?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
this message was entered by pfolino last year (sorry i don't know how to link the original) it may answer your question. me and the mrs will be in LT soon... can't wait:) happy vacation to you!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fished off shore along many of the beaches in LT. Play Punta Poppy (right at the point) can be good. Its a combination of reef and sand bottom so fish the edges between reef and open sand and you may have some luck. There are a variety of toothy creatures to be caught in all sizes. Rapalas and plastic baits work for casting....hard to fish bottom near reefs. I have caught some Baracuda around Playa Coson. Use a large plug with steel leeder and real as fast as you can and they will hit it, usually. You will be sure to make many new friends once you bust out your gear.

There is a sport fishing boat that goes out of LT as well and you can get info at the touristo center intown. They go out for sail fish, dorado (mahi mahi/dolphin fish) and snapper. Never went out with them.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.
A bad day of fishing in the DR is better than just about everything.

Last edited:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
This of one of many threads on the subject. To find others just do a search, with the "search" feature located at the top of this page.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/east-coast/79198-new-site-bit-lost.html

Duh,,,,

"is there possibilities to go fishing without boat? Just relaxing from the shore with bait??

noxman, I've asked this question numerous times and never have I found the answer.

Perhaps Kim Beddall could take you out from Samana. (ok, the devil made me say that.) :ermm:

Mar 2, 2008
Duh,,,,

"is there possibilities to go fishing without boat? Just relaxing from the shore with bait?”
noxman, I've asked this question numerous times and never have I found the answer.
Perhaps Kim Beddall could take you out from Samana. (ok, the devil made me say that.)

Who is Kim Beddall?

Anyway, within the thread that was posted there is a discription of where and how to fish from the shore.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Duh,,,,

"is there possibilities to go fishing without boat? Just relaxing from the shore with bait??
Perhaps Kim Beddall could take you out from Samana. (ok, the devil made me say that.)

Who is Kim Beddall?

Anyway, within the thread that was posted there is a discription of where and how to fish from the shore.

Kim Beddall runs whale watching tours out of Samana, so I was joking about catching a whale.

noxman

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for the response:) It is not so easy to find the fishing spots at a new place,and we have never fished these species before. I am looking forward to this like a kid,and do belive my girlfriend will be amused.
Is it possible to buy the fishing gear i need there,or do i have to bring what i need ? I have a lot of big rapala(15-20cm) and poppers i use for pike here in Norway:) What about rods,need some poweful stuff from the shore?

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I do not recommend CapOcean because they don't let you keep any of the fish unless you catch many. Then they let you keep one.

You are actually paying for their fuel and catching the fish for them so that they can turn around and sell it.

Not a good deal.

Juniper

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Fishing in Las Galeras

We own a Sport Fishing company in Las Galeras, which is like 40 minutes from las Terrenas. There is info on our website:

Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras

or you can call Roberto Guzman at 829-221-2493.

Catherine

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Fishing in Las Terrenas

Just was in Las Terrenas last week.

Capocean charges about 100$ US an hour and he will not go out unless the seas are OK. He has a couple of nice boats, speaks French, Spanish and limited English.

We were told that you can by gear in one of the Ferreterias (hardware stores).

I watched a local wading the inside reef by the Hotel Alisei and using a hand line...get a short round piece of wood, wrap some line around it, attach your hooks bait etc and cast away along the reefs, drink a Bohemia or Presidente.

By the way...the bar in the Hotel Alisei had the frostiest Presidente in Las Terrenas. Muy Bueno.