Maimon,

Status
Not open for further replies.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
Has anybody else eaten at those little places off the highway going to Maim?n
It is on the left side of the road if ocean world turn would be on your right side
A couple of miles past the trash dump
The place that has the little glass like chicken stand out front has the
Best fried red snapper I think
Man that is the first place I will go when I get pack november 22
I think about that fish all the time
My friend jose took me to this place man it rocks
When I come back to the DR I will get the name and post it
In the forum
DREAMING OF RED SNAPPER
FRANCOISATL
:cheeky:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I've eaten there often - try all the different places till you find the place you like the best! I love the atmosphere - the food is fabulous - and it is inexpensive!

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
yes it is for a whole red snapper like that in atlanta it is like $30
i think i need a snack
mmmmmmm red snapper mmmmmmmmm
francoisatl

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
yes it is for a whole red snapper like that in atlanta it is like $30
i think i need a snack
mmmmmmm red snapper mmmmmmmmm
francoisatl

I can get the same here in NY for about $6 a pound.

It is awesome with lemon and a cold one!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
So far, it has been my experience that apparently ONE place there is doing more business than all the other ones together... the one in the middle on the North side of the road with the people waiting outside and picking their fish at a huge smoky fire place. It's certainly NOT the nicest place... but it's booming... and there is more than one reason to it.
They have the fresh fish on display and will fry it only once they get confirmation you have been seated. The price is right and too.
You stay in line to pick your fish... I go for "Cotorra" (aka. "Lora", parrot fish a green-blueish fish... white flaky meat and said to be one of the least likely to carry ciguatera). They'll weight your fish and tell you the cost and put it on a plate with a copy of the ticket you get to take to your table.
The only reproach I have, is that besides not putting some money into the outfit to make it a little nicer, they don't seat their customers, so, on busy times it boils down to whom has more "tigueraje". The place is so busy, I don't go there on weekends anymore.
Most of the other places, do little business trying to sell fish that is on display already fried. I don't understand why the other places don't pick up on the system... but that's not an un-typical phenomenon in these countries.

... J-D.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
So far, it has been my experience that apparently ONE place there is doing more business than all the other ones together... the one in the middle on the North side of the road with the people waiting outside and picking their fish at a huge smoky fire place. It's certainly NOT the nicest place... but it's booming... and there is more than one reason to it.
They have the fresh fish on display and will fry it only once they get confirmation you have been seated. The price is right and too.
You stay in line to pick your fish... I go for "Cotorra" (aka. "Lora", parrot fish a green-blueish fish... white flaky meat and said to be one of the least likely to carry ciguatera). They'll weight your fish and tell you the cost and put it on a plate with a copy of the ticket you get to take to your table.
The only reproach I have, is that besides not putting some money into the outfit to make it a little nicer, they don't seat their customers, so, on busy times it boils down to whom has more "tigueraje". The place is so busy, I don't go there on weekends anymore.
Most of the other places, do little business trying to sell fish that is on display already fried. I don't understand why the other places don't pick up on the system... but that's not an un-typical phenomenon in these countries.

... J-D.

I think its pescado Jhonnies,always a big crowd with picnic tables upstairs in the back,,unbelievable great fish

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007

... J-D.

This is the place where I always go, the fish there is the best and the owner is always there to help you, at least it?s has been in my case.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
How do you get to these fish places when traveling from Sosua?

Btw: Some of the small food shacks along Sosua Beach can do fish quite well at times... but you have to talk down the price and ask to show you the particular animal. Not always easy and your success rate may be highly dependent on your Spanish skills.

Similarly, we've been served EXCELLENT fish right ON Playa Grande (Rio San Juan) twice! Same deal as in Sosua, ask to see the fish, choose and haggle.

On the other hand, in Maimon, the price is the same for everybody... just ask; "... y, a como 'ta la libra de este pez?" (at how much is a pound of this one selling for?).

Prices vary widely, depending on season, availability and type of fish. "Chillo", a white fish with reddish dots all over it's back, is especially expensive (easily up to RD$200/Lb. Whereas "Cotorra" (parrot fish) can at times cost as little as RD$ 50 to 100/Lb.!
Dominicans seem to prefer Chillo... I've tried it, and I think they only prefer it because it's more expensive. :bunny:
Go for a wide fish! So you don't pay only for the head. Frying a slender fish can leave you with not much more than a head with some golden fried-dry fish bones attached to it.

... J-D.

Reactions: FernieBee

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
They are directly on the highway, about 20 minutes past Puerto Plata, heading towards Santo Domingo. You will see them just after passing the entrance to the Riu hotels.

OK, now I'm lost, are you talking about hwy 5 before you get to hwy 1?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I agree 100% with JD Sausers recommendation...have tried several in the area but the one with the "smoky entrance" is fantastic, "Parada Jhoan".

Great selection, always fresh and the prices cant be beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.