riu palace to santo domingo ?'s

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
we will be in punta cana end of jan/ early feb and we are wondering about organized excursion to the zona colonial.

i'm wanting to know costs for the tour, or should we hire a car. i'm guessing its three hours there and three hours back. i've even thought about a domestic flight.

also what could we expect for costs for this adventure.

the four hour round trip to havana from varadero is well worth it. i'm hoping the same here.

any advise or feedback would be welcome.

thanks in advance

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
There are a number of bus tours to Santo Domingo available in the Tour Desk area of your resort. They normally cost around $70US per person and include transportation, lunch, a brief tour of the Zona Colonial, admission to several sites (cathedral, national memorial, Columbus' son's house, etc.) as well as some brief "tourist" shopping and the "Three Eyes" caves. Exact itinerary may vary. It's a long day (8 a.m. - 8 p.m., mas o menos) but at least for me, enjoyable.

Gregg

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I wouldnt recommend to take a domestic flight.
it is about 35 mins. flight, but from riu palace to the airport is about 45 mins. and from the airport in SD to the Zona Colonial is at least 1hour (maybe more in rush hours)
add the time you will be waiting in the airport. and you will see that it will be more than 3 hours.
I wouldnt recommend to rent a car neither if you are not used to travel in this country. the road is very danger, because there are some constructions going on.
your best choice, take a bus tour from your hotel.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the rental car ride would be more likely 4hrs+ than just 3, one way of course. even that we get some new ones once in a while at some spots, our street signs are not the greatest, and usual rental cars do not have a working GPS on board.
stick with the recommendation to take a bus tour, yes, it is a long day 12-13hrs, but it shows youa lot.
i agree to the non recommendation of domestic flights for a st dgo city tour, you would miss out a lot and not arrive much faster neither.
counting airfare plus needed taxis would add up to a costy day.
and you would still not have a guide who shows you around in the colonial zone.
apropos guide,
where is Jan???
she always posted here on the bord and she lives in the Colonial Zone and offers such guide services.
but basically, i would recommend the bus tour over the other options.
also, when traveling from PC to st dgo on your own as a first time visitor one single day for the whole ride and taking time to see the nice spots would not be enough. if you plan to do it on your own i would recommend a overnighter to have the time for a relaxed roundtrip without the need to arrive back towards PC in a rental car in the dark.
welcome to PC
Mike

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
thanks for the advice everyone. it looks like the bus tour is the way to go. there will be four of us going. i was wondering about a taxi/guide. when we went from sosua to santiago a few years ago, we had a really good driver that toured us around and kept us outta trouble. i'm guessing we could get the same thing from punta cana. any thoughts?