Puerto Plata, places you must have seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corine

Oct 19, 2008
Hi,

Next week my boyfriend and i will be visiting the Dominican republic for 16 days. We'll be staying in Puerto Plata.

What places are a 'you must have seen that'?

Any tips are welcome :)

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
Definately take a trip to Jarabocoa for a day, maybe even two. Its in the moutains with alot to do. Also, get to sosua bay for a day. The beach and water are beautiful.
And get Rocky's ribs in sosua for lunch.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
La Isabella is a nice place nearby that has some historical significance to one of the "settlements" established by Columbus. We met some artisans who seem to live on site. They make wood carvings - we got several small polished wood carvings of primitive faces (kind of like tiki gods) and a very nice turtle carving. The price was pretty reasonable. I think they threw in the turtle.
The Brugal rum factory has tours.
The Waterfront in Sosua - has a tremendous view!
The road to the beach is lined with street vendors who sell everything, including some very vibrant artwork.
(A word of caution - at most of these places, you will be approached by people selling many different things. They will be persistent. There will also be shoe shine boys. It's best if you have shoes for them to polish, otherwise if you just give them money, they are more likely to realize that begging is another way to get money.)
Take a ride on a guagua. It's a cheap way to get to Sosua - jam packed along with 30 other passengers. Plan to sit on your boyfriend's lap at some point. There's usually a guy hanging out the front passenger side who will stop the driver, collect money, and keep it moving. You tell him where you are going, and he'll tell you how much to pay (check with others to determine ahead of time what is a fair price to pay.)
Cabs in general: get the cost up-front. Everywhere.
There are 2 amber exhibits in Puerto Plata - both worth looking at. One is a museum near the plaza, and they sell amber. The other is on a side street; there is a dinosaur, and at the end of the tour, there was a guy rolling cigars.
There is an awesome fort, and a cable car too. I think they call it the teleferico.
Check out the "malecon": it's the oceanside street.
And plan to sit at a road-side cafe to have a Presidente beer. They might even serve it to you in a bamboo drink cozy. The colder the better.
There's a pretty nice pizza place just up from the ayuntamiento (big white building).
Have fun.
mkohn

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You may want to go to Caberete. The beach is great and the Kiteboarding is something you won't see many other places. It's a day trip. About 30 min. from POP. If you up to it, try the Zip Lining. It's about 15 min. from POP. We have friends come down and they all want to do it. I guess my wife and I have done it 6-7 times. Their web is yasikaadventures.com. Have a great time.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I also recommend the "27 Charcos" or Damajagua Falls.

It is a very beautiful spot but not for the faint of heart;).

It is a series of waterfalls to climb and if you do this trip, I recommend bringing along a waterproof camera. Depending on your level of fitness and taking into account the "fear factor", you can either do the first 7, 1-12 or all 27.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
If your bf is still moveable he can play some basketball in Centro Deportivo (close to Malecon, on the parallel street). Saturday 11.00 am and Thursday 6.30 pm if schedule did not change in recent four months.

Some pretty decent players with some college hoop experience. Could be some challenging competition.

Also, best and freshest coco juice you can have on Long Beach. From a short taino woman who sells there for last ten years at least. $5 RD per uno.

Next to Tienda Jimenez in a glass store you can buy high quality counterfeit women`s handbags - Chanel, D&G, Gucci. Your female friends back to US will die from greed and envy.

On farmers` market (left turn from Mountain View) you can buy honey. Natural. Organic. $400RD a gallon ( $15US). Best in the world.

And any woodoo things you might want ( in a small store inside the market. They used to have a big eagle, but three years ago he died.) Just three drops in his tea every morning and your bf will never even look at other chicas.

Have a nice trip!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just three drops in his tea every morning and your bf will never even look at other chicas.

Three drops of what? Three drops of some of the things sold in that market not meant for internal consumption (e.g. Tres Pasitos) & her bf won't be looking at anyone again, let alone chicas.............:cheeky:

If bf is looking to play basketball with locals at the place AK74 suggested & if you can't locate anyone there, ask Benji at the bakery nearby.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
wow usd 79 for a zip line tour seems wildly expensive.....I ve never heard of this place before ...i would have thought usd 30 would be a more reasonable amount

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Corine Here is Rocky,s

Yes take a trip to Rocky's for a day, maybe even two.:bunny: $25 a Night
Here is Rocky turn on your speaker,s Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic

Also, get to Sosua bay for a day. The beach and water are beautiful.
And get Rocky's ribs in Sosua for lunch Rocky's Ribs Rock - DR1 Dominican Republic Forums.

Best RIBS in the Country - DR1 Dominican Republic Forums

The restaurant serves Canadian-American style food at convenient prices. Breakfast is served from 7 AM. A self-serve pot of coffee is set on each table and is included in the price. Rocky's "World Famous Ribs", Lemon Chicken, Shish-Kebabs, Steak Filets, Pizzas, Kentucky Style Fried Chicken, Spaghetti, Submarines, Sandwiches and Salads complete the menu. ;)

Some photo,s of rocky.s Bar yea and his Ribs :ermm: not his own Ribs the ones he cook.,s lol
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/67882-rockys.html
Entrance I can already smell those yummy ribs!!!

Taylor10four

Oct 25, 2008
Take a tour up into the hills on horseback. It's the best view and you stop at a local farm for a snack and drink. Being on horseback as opposed to bikes makes the beauty of the area complete.
Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.