Santiago - Santo Domingo via Carribe Tours

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
OK, just finished an extensive search on this, and i found a lot of information on this, but some posts were a few years old, so id like to confirm some things.

Seems the consensous is its the easiest to use carribe tours to go between these two cities....here are my questions.

1. Going from the new jardines hotel that people are talking about, can i just tell a taxi driver to take me to "carribe tours" and he will know where it is? How much would that be?

2. What is the current rate on carribe tours from santiago to santo domingo? Is the route interesting/scenic at all?

3. How long does it take?

4. Where exactly in santo domingo does the bus drop us off? If i wanted a hotel that wasnt TOO TOO far away from the bus, nor the airport, what hotel would you suggest i get?

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Going from Hotel los Jardines to the Caribe Tour Bus station should cost no more than about 150 to 200 peso if that much. now the hotel it?s walking distance to the bus station in Santiago, Caribe tour should around 250 pesos to the capital, the trip should take about 2 hours or so, you will be drop off at Avenida 27 de Febrero Station it?s the last stop.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You would probably be better served taking Metro, which is just down the block from Caribe Tours. It leaves you right near Plaza Lama on Feb.27. This would be more centrally located in SD. Also the bus gets there quicker because it does not stop in La Vega, which adds about 40 minutes to the trip.

They do not leave as frequently as Caribe Tour, but you can easily check, and if the time is no good just walk back to Caribe Tours.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Out the front door of the hotel, turn left, go to the end of the avenue, and you are on 27 de Febrero. Turn left or go across the street, and about 100 yards to the east, you will be at the corner of Maimon and at the Caribe Tours bus stop...

Either one, Metro or Caribe Tours is fine. Depends on what you want to do in Santo Domingo. Metro is close to three major shopping centers and Caribe Tours is close to the government office buildings.

Have fun,

HB

You'll need a cab from either one to get to a decent hotel. Ask the experts on Sto Dgo which one..

Aug 19, 2004
Sky makes a good point - in addition to La Vega Caribe Tours makes stops at most major road junctions in the suburbs of Santo Domingo - whilst Metro Tours makes the only one stop. In addition I have found the Metro Tours stop in Santo Domingo is better organised and it is easier to get a taxi from there.

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
Does metro have a website where i can see their schedule? Similarly priced i take it?

Im going to stay at hotel atarazana in santo domingo. Anyone know how far metro stop is there? Do i get off on the last stop again?

Thanks for all the great info. If it saves 40 minutes sounds like something i definately want to do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, here nobody sweats 40 minutes!! It would be a waste of time. Actually, for your purposes, you are much better off and a lot closer using Caribe Tours...yup you are.

You need to diddle with the taxi drivers, they'll want a lot, no matter, but offer half and pay maybe 3/4...

Good luck, have fun, don't sweat the small stuff.

HB

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
metro vs caribe tours

I am having a similar problem. Some say on is great, some clame the other is great. I guess my main question is from SD to Santiago, which one is going to be most helpful to my non Spanish speaking self???? Also Caribe has a handy website, like I said I don't speak Spanish and could navigate their website, does metro even have a website? If not I am going with Caribe. Would you reccomend buying the tickets ahead of time online or showing up as is and hoping for the best??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can buy them on line. I never do..I walk over with a good book and plenty of time and buy a ticket on the first available.

If coming from Santo Domingo your son can have a friend call either one and make a reservation. He has to be at the station 1/2 hour ahead of time to claim his ticket.
He gets out at the first Caribe Tour stop in Santiago or at the Metro stop (only one).

Of course Metro has a website...

Please do not try to do everything online in this country. It seldom works out...

They try but seldom make it works..

HB

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Yea I think I will wait and buy the tickets from the station. Seems easier than trying to navigate the site and hope I get tickets for the correct time!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get there early. Do not expect to get tickets at the busiiest times. Go early as possible or near noon...

HB

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
This may be a stupid question, but do the Metro and Caribe buses have places for luggage? Since I will be staying a while in DR I will have a big bag. Not huge, but a fairly large rolling bag.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I took the kids to Santo Domingo once for a weekend trip. The buses have storage room underneath just like travel buses (ie Greyhound) in the US have. You shouldn't have a problem getting to your hotel because when we got off of the bus in the capital there were close to 20 taxis waiting there.

SHALENA