What is there for night life in the Tres Ojos area of Santo Domingo?

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Just moved to this area, start of Charles De Gaulle, or Tres Ojos, wondering if there are any ex pats hangouts in the area? Or even regular dominican hot spots to have a few cerveizas? Any help is appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Assaults, rapes, and other such activities seem to be the norm over there. Not the nicest place. Loaded with Chinese - owned hot bed places...

Not a decent place there except probably some colmad?n for beers and dominos...

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If you don't care about lowlife discos and bars you may stay there or go to San Vicente de Paul Ave. where there are lot of discos. If you want to have a decent nighlife, you may head to Eclipse in Ave. Venezuela or cross the other side of the bridge.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Assaults, rapes, and other such activities seem to be the norm over there. Not the nicest place. Loaded with Chinese - owned hot bed places...

Not a decent place there except probably some colmad?n for beers and dominos...

HB

Hillbilly are you sure? My wife's aunt and uncle have lived there for more than 30 years. I have been visiting that area for about 15 years at all times of day and night. I have yet to hear my wife's aunt or cousins complain about robbery, rape or murder. I have not read about rape or murder being committed in Los Tres Ojos. Except for a mention of 7 people living in a house in the area arrested for committing crimes in OTHER areas of the city, my google search for crime committed in that area came up empty.

That area of the city is a typical Dominican working class neighborhood with some domyork. I have not seen in this area the loads of Chinese you mentioned. This area in not Los Cacicazgo but it sure isn't Villa Mella. There are plenty of RD$10-20+ million homes in the area in: Mirador del Este, Brisas del Este, Corales del Sur and villa Eloisa. Colmad?n are not prevalent in this area. You'll have to go to Av Espa?a & Charles around the rotunda or around Carretera de Mendoza & Charles if you want any colmad?n action.

NotLurking

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
maybe

HB might be thinking of San Isidro, for the hotbeds. about 20 of them both sides of the street, Tres Ojo's is not that bad an area, but if you cross 27th of Feb. watchout.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmmmm I have no idea what the place is like from reading this thread - seems to be widely differing views

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
For what it's worth

I am very familiar with the Los Mayemes area of the Capital which is adjacent to Tres Ojos. It's a family orientated community that appears very tranquil in the daytime and early evening. About 9:00 PM the residents lock down tighter than San Quentin and it turns into a "no man's land". Many colmados, a lot of loud music, noisy cars and occasional gunshots. The bars on Ave Espana are very dangerous, many car accidents with personal injury. There is no screening for guns and many are packing, mainly for "self Defense". As you might imagine as the evening wears on and the drinking increases and someone hits on someone elses mujer shootings are common. I watched last years winter league playoffs on the big screen at the sports bar on Ave Espana. When Licey prevailed it seemed like every other customer was firing shots into the air. A safer area for nighttime entertainment is the Disco area of Ave Venezuela on the North side of Feb 27th. For the extra five minutes I would go to the Colonial Zone.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I am very familiar with the Los Mayemes area of the Capital which is adjacent to Tres Ojos.
You are quite right about Los Mameyes and I wouldn't be caught there at any time after dark! But Los Mameyes is a bit far from Los Tres Ojos. Los Mameyes is next to Sans Souci and Faro Colon. Los Tres Ojos is in the triangle made by Av Charles de Gaulle, Av Las Americas and Av Ecologica.

This is like saying that Piantini or Evaristo Morales are bad because they are adjacent to San Carlos, Mata Hamber, El Manguito, La Julia or Ens. La Fe. I think you get the picture. There are good and bad neighborhoods relatively close to each other all over SD.

NotLurking

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like any place in Sto Domingo....frankly, I prefer Piantini....yes, it is way more upscale...

I have one of my girls ( a kid I helped through college) who lives in Los Mina, and I visited there a couple of times...can't say much for that place either. It is extremely Dominican with all the good and bad that goes with the term...

Hey, to each his own...It's just not my cuppa....

HB