Hickory/mesquite/etc wood chips in dr. Where the hell are they?

thomas901

May 4, 2008
i just went to plaza lama and picked up a nice grill the other day. went to the grocery store to get some meats and charcoal and couldnt find wood chips!!!! you got to be JOKING!!!! i have looked everywhere! nobody even knows what im talking about. they seriously dont smoke any of their meats when they grill here? thats so sad. i was really looking forward to cooking my girlfriend some tasty smoked meats.... i guess i will need to have some shipped here. unless they have hickory trees here..i will seriously go chop one down and drag it back to my apartment so i can enjoy that wonderful smokey flavor once again...anyone have any information about this? also do grocery stores like supermercado nacional carry imported US beef? where are the best places to go for good meats??? i dont know whats up with the ground beef here but its not cutting it. what do they feed the cows?? its so dry and hard...flavorless :( i cant figure out how it could be so different from US beef.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Mesquite (Bayahonda)

Thomas,

You are more than welcome to all the mesquite you may need from my land in Las Lomas de Azua....

Mirador

jggr2x.jpg

2uyput3.jpg

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
i just went to plaza lama and picked up a nice grill the other day. went to the grocery store to get some meats and charcoal and couldnt find wood chips!!!! you got to be JOKING!!!! i have looked everywhere! nobody even knows what im talking about. they seriously dont smoke any of their meats when they grill here? thats so sad. i was really looking forward to cooking my girlfriend some tasty smoked meats.... i guess i will need to have some shipped here. unless they have hickory trees here..i will seriously go chop one down and drag it back to my apartment so i can enjoy that wonderful smokey flavor once again...anyone have any information about this? also do grocery stores like supermercado nacional carry imported US beef? where are the best places to go for good meats??? i dont know whats up with the ground beef here but its not cutting it. what do they feed the cows?? its so dry and hard...flavorless :( i cant figure out how it could be so different from US beef.

We Dominican don't eat "Comida aumada" (Smoked food like Smoked meats). Everytime the food gets smoky, we throw it away.

Anyway did you check Ferreteria Americana or Ferreteria Ochoa?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your best bet is to go out into the campo and see if youcan get a guy to cut some limbs off of some of the cambron trees, and chop them up...
OR get someone from La L?nea Noroeste (or make a deal with Mirador) to ship you some "carb?n" which is generally made from Cambr?n...(Mesquite)..

HB

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
the cows are different there
they all have horns
in us and canada the cows dont lol
maybe thats it lol

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
mezquite (genus Prosopis) = cambr?n = bayahonda

Hillibilly, bayahonda and cambr?n are the same plant, however, in the Southwest they almost invariably say bayahonda.

Here's one of my nearest neighbors, do?a Meneo, taking two sacks of mezquite charcoal to market in Azua. Currently, the going rate for a sack of mezquite charcoal is RD$130 at the kiln site. You may have to pay RD$200 per sack in Azua market.

2yvrvwg.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is there any way of resizing the photos in the earlier post? They're distorting the page.
5"x7" is a good size.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
here on teh inerwebs we talk in pixels, 720 pixels or less is optimal width for a web page graphic.

- and the last tiem I bought wood chips for grilling it was hickory and I got it at Hache here in Santiago. Been a few years, but try there anyway.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Plaza Ferretira Americana on JFK in Santo Domingo, sells US imported BBQ smoking wood in chips and at times in pellets. The last I bought was Jack Daniels label barrel wood chips!

... J-D.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
ahhhh thanks JD!!!

i found them at ferreria americana on jfk....got hickory and mesquite!!!!!!!!!!! thanks a lot!!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thomas901;

You might try the 80/20 carne molido for your hamburgers, meat loaf and stuffed green peppers. When mixed with equal amounts of cooked rice, and the other ingredients one makes dolma and meatloaf with, it turns out pretty good.
FYI, the beef here is "range fed" on whatever grasses are in the vicinity, (that could be ANYTHING). bear in mind that Dominicans DON'T LIKE FAT IN THEIR MEATS and will go to extremes to get rid of it. Thus the tough, flat, wild flavor to the meat. And you're right, it cooks up very hard due to the lack of fatty granules that seperate the meat fibre.

Texas Bill

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I switched to the "cheaper" ground beef....thanks to an old BBQ thread here on DR1 a while ago. It still doesn't taste like US beef...as was said before, the cows and what they eat are different here, but they taste a lot better than the "good stuff" which I think is only about 6% fat, and the texture, when cooked, is more moist and somewhat similar to a burger made with US beef.

That being said, When I had the opportunity to do a side by side taste test of what was a very good dominican burger at Rocky's 4th of July party and a burger made with beef brought in from Canada (thanks again to whoever brought that, I forget!)...there was no comparison. Since then I always try to bring several pounds of ground beef with me when I return from the US.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mirador! I want two sacks!! But I don't think Caribe Tours will ship them!!

That is a great picture...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thomas901;

You might try the 80/20 carne molido for your hamburgers, meat loaf and stuffed green peppers. When mixed with equal amounts of cooked rice, and the other ingredients one makes dolma and meatloaf with, it turns out pretty good.
FYI, the beef here is "range fed" on whatever grasses are in the vicinity, (that could be ANYTHING). bear in mind that Dominicans DON'T LIKE FAT IN THEIR MEATS and will go to extremes to get rid of it. Thus the tough, flat, wild flavor to the meat. And you're right, it cooks up very hard due to the lack of fatty granules that seperate the meat fibre.

Texas Bill
Very true.

I buy the "cheap" ground beef at the carneceria. It is almost like ground beef from the US. The lean ground beef is tough, dry and tasteless.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
ahh thanks..ill try that.... where is the supposedly "imported black angus" come from? i know its not the US haha... it looks like they take chunks of fat and just shove it in there

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
ahh thanks..ill try that.... where is the supposedly "imported black angus" come from? i know its not the US haha... it looks like they take chunks of fat and just shove it in there

thomas901;

You probably ARE buying "imported Black Angus Beef" as advertised.
Theproblem with that is that the Dominican butchers eliminate (cut away) the fat in deference to Dominicans who are their major clients. In addition,since, like all butchers, they try to get as much salable product as possible out ofthe"bulk package" they cut the meat just any old way without regard to the grain of the fibre, thus rendering an ordinarily tender, juicy cut into a glob of unchewable mass.
Can't really fault them because they don't know any better, andeven if they did, I seriously doubt if they'd change their way of cutting meat.
Bear in mind that they cut their meat in the Spanish fashion, which is vastly different from US methods.

Texas Bill