Unforseen Marriage Dilemas

Meraux

Sep 17, 2006
Hola amigos:

So, if an American marrys a Dominican woman, never married before without children, are there any specific DR laws to be aware of? For example, assumption of exisiting loans, or family laws to know about.

Gracias,

Leonardo

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Without a Pre Nup if she divorces she gets half of any money you have in the bank, or just about anywhere else she can find it. Do not marry without a Pre Nup in this country. Better yet do not even get married.

Hola amigos:

So, if an American marrys a Dominican woman, never married before without children, are there any specific DR laws to be aware of? For example, assumption of exisiting loans, or family laws to know about.

Gracias,

Leonardo

You are not only marrying her you are going to be responsible for Mom,dad,grandparents and all extended family in times of economic hard times (alway) and when family is sick (always), enjoy!!!!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
You are not only marrying her you are going to be responsible for Mom,dad,grandparents and all extended family in times of economic hard times (alway) and when family is sick (always), enjoy!!!!!

i would name that exactly the Human way of getting married, bringing 2 families together, take care about each others specially in the hard times.
i did not mean that sarcastic,
for me that's named Life
Mike

Oct 23, 2008
Amigo,

More than the law you should be worried about the culture. The law might say one thing, but if your pockets are deep, then there's almost always a way out. However, the culture defines the way how she will act and behave to several situations that will come along. To get to know the culture, you will have to hang around the family and observe behavioral pattern. Other laws to be worried about... divorce in this country costs about RD $ 10,000 pesos (nearly US$ 300). Many people in this country cannot afford the price of a divorce, and so they remain married to a man/woman but live with another. (that is what I have seen so far, sorry if this causes any controversy).

Oh and another thing..... If you get a Jeepeta (SUV), her whole family including long lost cousins will all become your best friend.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hola amigos:

Gracias,

Leonardo

In a word, "Yes". The family laws are less the issue and more the problem will be the culture. For non-Dominicans it can be a little complicated.