Problems at Banco Leon

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hi, since almost 2 weeks Banco Leon has problems with their debit and credit cards. Somebody knows what (besides incompetent dummies trying to solve it)is going on?

I asked (via Email 6 days ago) Banco Popular if they have debit-cards (visa) but surprisingly :angry: they haven't answered yet!

Anybody any idea?

Thanks. (getting serious problems now with Ebay unpaid item strikes)

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hi, since almost 2 weeks Banco Leon has problems with their debit and credit cards. Somebody knows what (besides incompetent dummies trying to solve it)is going on?

I asked (via Email 6 days ago) Banco Popular if they have debit-cards (visa) but surprisingly :angry: they haven't answered yet!

Anybody any idea?

Thanks. (getting serious problems now with Ebay unpaid item strikes)

Please elaborate what exactly the problems are.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Problem that has been solved: for 8 days we could not login into the account via their website or pay something with the card.

After 8 days we received an email that everything was ok....yeah right.

I bought some stuff on Ebay and went to the bank to deposit the money; "sorry sir, the system doesn't work yet, we can not deposit your money".

So I tried to make a payment with the money still on the card: nope, nada nothing! Paypal tells me the card doesn't work (or has no funds).

Send an email 3 days ago...nothing!

Chances are my Ebay-account will get suspended because of me not paying.....oh man....

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Banco Leon was having problems recently but as of yesterday both Leon Visa debit and pre-paid were working, Leon internet banking is up and working too.

NotLurking

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Problem that has been solved: for 8 days we could not login into the account via their website or pay something with the card.

After 8 days we received an email that everything was ok....yeah right.

I bought some stuff on Ebay and went to the bank to deposit the money; "sorry sir, the system doesn't work yet, we can not deposit your money".

So I tried to make a payment with the money still on the card: nope, nada nothing! Paypal tells me the card doesn't work (or has no funds).

Send an email 3 days ago...nothing!

Chances are my Ebay-account will get suspended because of me not paying.....oh man....

Contact Ebay. Advise them of the problem. They are cooperative. Just be pro-active yourself too. Sellers will wait.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Contact Ebay. Advise them of the problem. They are cooperative. Just be pro-active yourself too. Sellers will wait.

Good advice AK74 and I would like to add that Leon is trying to fix the problem, some cards seem to be working but like all problems here in DR, the solution always seem to be a few days away at best :(

NotLurking

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Good advice AK74 and I would like to add that Leon is trying to fix the problem, some cards seem to be working but like all problems here in DR, the solution always seem to be a few days away at best :(

NotLurking
Recently I received from Ebay a letter that some sellers might be affected by the hurricane and may take to perform longer.

So, this kind of problems is not unknown.
Good luck!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And when you go to see Banco Leon next (as surely you must to get this resolved quickly) try to be understanding & pleasant. Your posts so far indicate a fair bit of frustration & an 'aggressive' stance & I would hate for you to be put to the back of the queue because you were unable to 'work WITH' the bank employees/manager.

I apologise if my assesment is wrong & you are all sweetness & charming when in the bank - it just comes over that you think of all the staff as being "incompetent dummies". I have always found a joke against myself, a slight 'sob' story & continued firmness to get the problem resolved goes a long way with the bank manager!!

I agree with others - Ebay, PayPal AND the eBay sellers are generally VERY understanding if you keep them informed of the problems you are having with banks. Most of them have "been there, done that & have got all the 'T'-shirts to prove it"!!

Good Luck ~ Grahame.

Feb 7, 2007
You can even send them the message Banco Leon sent out (if you have registered your email address)... it was also posted on Banco Leon website.

I am also affected, I make weekly transfers via Prepaid Visa, and I had to make transfers via Vimenca and Caribe Express these days (much more $$$ costly).

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Thanks Grahame for your advise!
You are right about one thing: I am frustrated by this, not about them having a problem but they emailed me that everything was working 100% again...at that moment I bought some stuff on Ebay and I found out it isn't working. The "going to the bank-part" is done by my lovely (Dominican) wife, I don't have the patience to go there and discuss simple things. So far I've heard form 6 other persons they have the same problem...so I just have to wait. One day I will laugh at it...I hope.
Gr.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Few weeks ago they told me that they had to cancel a lot of credit-, debit-cards because some criminals had stolen information in some automats and cloned a plenty of cards. The bank knew these clone-numbers and had cancelled them.
I think you should go personally to the office and activate your card.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
That's right, Im the one who they canceled my credit card, have to wait for a week to send me to San Pedro the new card. From my card they told me tryed use the ATM in USA.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
My debit-card has not been canceled.
At this moment it is possible to deposit money on the Debit Card!
But payments are still not possible. How long this situation will last they couldn't tell at the office here in Bavaro. On the remark that I could lose my Ebay-account because of them, the answer was quite simple: not our fault!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Still not possible to pay via Paypal or Visa with my debit-card from Banco Leon!
Everybody at the bank is very quiet and it looks like they avoid any direct contact with anybody about this....... I don't know how this "money-transfer"-system works but I have the feeling Banco Leon can not "pay" for it....
Is it possible Banco Leon is having a very bad time? maybe some kind of "Baninter -thing"??
Does anybody have some info about this from the "inside"?
Thanks.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Does anybody have some info about this from the "inside"?
Thanks.

No info form the inside but the problem appears to be getting worst! My Leon cards stopped working. They were working on the 29th when I posted but have been useless since the 31th (can't say about the 30th I didn't check). They are quite good as ice scrappers but here in DR, we don't get much snow. I thought banco Leon would have everything working for EVERYONE by now but things are getting worst; internet banking is down right now, too. :ermm:

NotLurking

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I used my card two times in Playero - no problem. I went into the bank today and had them transfer money from one account to my ATM Debit account - took about 5 minutes.

Feb 7, 2007
Apparently, as per Banco Leon, 7pm today, you need to go to a branch to exchange the current card for a new one, which "should" be working after the exchange. The exchange should be free of charge.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hi Rubio_Higuey,

I just got off the phone with them and they don't know squad!
They have no clue when we can pay with the Tarjeta Prepaga again.
I stand by my remark in my first message...incompetent dummies running the show!

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Thank you for keeping us updated.
Without seeing your post I tried to pay with the card by internet 10 minutes ago. It did not work.
Of course they take our money anytime when we deposit.
Saludo

P.