Teaching English in the North of the DR

Chica2008

Jun 19, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could please help/give advice about working as a teacher of English in the Dominican Republic (North.)

Generally speaking, do you have to be qualified to teach English to foreign students and will having a reputable qualification increase my chances of getting a better paid job?

I am a 23 year old female from the UK and have recently returned back from a 5 week stay in Sosua after learning Spanish at a language school and doing some volunteer work with children in a school supported by a local charity. It was my second time to the country and I didn't want to leave!

I would really love to live and work in the DR for a while, while I am young and still able to without too many commitments!

I am considering taking a CELTA course here in the UK to teach English as a foreign language which is part of the University of Cambridge and is a very reputable qualification but wasn't sure if this is neccessay or not for a job in the DR?

I have already been in contact with a few schools and I am awaiting their replies but thought I would put the question out here if anyone had any information or suggestions.

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could please help/give advice about working as a teacher of English in the Dominican Republic (North.)

Generally speaking, do you have to be qualified to teach English to foreign students and will having a reputable qualification increase my chances of getting a better paid job?

I am a 23 year old female from the UK and have recently returned back from a 5 week stay in Sosua after learning Spanish at a language school and doing some volunteer work with children in a school supported by a local charity. It was my second time to the country and I didn't want to leave!

I would really love to live and work in the DR for a while, while I am young and still able to without too many commitments!

I am considering taking a CELTA course here in the UK to teach English as a foreign language which is part of the University of Cambridge and is a very reputable qualification but wasn't sure if this is neccessay or not for a job in the DR?

I have already been in contact with a few schools and I am awaiting their replies but thought I would put the question out here if anyone had any information or suggestions.

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

PM me and I'll send you some contact information for an international school in Cabrera who is always looking for qualified English teachers.