Dozens of Dominican migrants jump ship; 3 dead

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Dozens of migrants jump ship as Coast Guard approaches; 3 dead
By Rafael A. Olmeda

South Florida Sun Sentinel

12:11 PM EDT, October 31, 2008

A boat carrying migrants from the Dominican Republic was spotted by the U.S. Coast Guard near Fisher Island [Miami] this morning, prompting more than two dozen people to jump into the water in a desperate bid to reach the mainland, officials said.

Three of those would-be migrants did not survive.

Official accounts differ as the investigation and the search for survivors is continuing. The Coast Guard reported it had rescued three people from the water who had possibly jumped from a 30-foot vessel near Fisher Island. Seven people were still on board the vessel, which carried a Dominican flag.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Arnold Piedrahita said survivors were reporting up to 30 people on board the vessel before the Coast Guard arrived on scene. In addition to the three dead, Piedrahita said, 12 survivors were on board a Coast Guard cutter, three were taken to a hospital for treatement and four were in the custody of immigration officials.

"When they saw the Coast Guard approaching, they started jumping off and trying to swim to shore," said Piedrahita. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue was called to the scene at about 8:21 a.m.

Fire Rescue and Coast Guard boats are continuing to search the waters for other survivors, Piedrahita said.

Earlier this morning, a Coast Guard spokesman said a total of 28 people had been pulled from the water by rescuers from various agencies.

Copyright ? 2008

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
there are more incentives to stay in the country than to leave it, at any cost!

Too bad this opinion isnt shared by the vast numbers trying to escape this way and risking their lives in doing so.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
there are more incentives to stay in the country than to leave it, at any cost!
Can you tell me what those might be?

Having spent over 30 weeks (in 22 months) in the DR-and from what I read on DR1- the DR has a hard time providing basic infrastructure for it's citizens (like picking up the garbage from the streets regularly, reliable electricity and clean running water 24/7)....

Couple that with very few people earning a "living wage", rising fuel and food prices....and an apparent attempt by a drug cartel to overtake certain areas of the country.....and you have good reason to see why many would risk everything to get to a perceived "better life".

Not that it's true...it is just a perception....remember there's a good pipeline of "stories" coming from NY, where I'm sure the common thread is "once you get here...."

Having flown SAR missions in the early 90s and witnessed Cubans literally rowing "floating junk" across the Straits, I realize how "the land of freedom" is perceived by many who have nothing....what I find sad, is the disappointment and frustration many refugees find once they are here and discover the "streets are not lined with gold", nor is this "the land of milk and honey"...(more like "if you're gonna live here, ya gotta have money", just like it is in the DR!)

Until the Dominican government takes responsibility for the ills of the DR (and quits lining the pockets of themselves and thier cronies) there will always be a segment of people who will risk all to get to "greener (greenback) pastures".....the sad part is, while we hear about a few....there are many more we don't hear about....1 in 4 Cubans survived crossing the Florida Straits back when I flew....

I share a fictionalized (based on a rescue I did) version of one family's journey in Dying to Get Here: A Story of Coming to America.....

As it turns out, this particular Dominican flagged ship yesterday was said to be a rusted but sea worthy freighter...and there were also a few Brazilians aboard....and YES...it is sad to think people are so desperate

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Can you tell me what those might be?

Having spent over 30 weeks (in 22 months) in the DR-and from what I read on DR1- the DR has a hard time providing basic infrastructure for it's citizens (like picking up the garbage from the streets regularly, reliable electricity and clean running water 24/7)....

Couple that with very few people earning a "living wage", rising fuel and food prices....and an apparent attempt by a drug cartel to overtake certain areas of the country.....and you have good reason to see why many would risk everything to get to a perceived "better life".

Not that it's true...it is just a perception....remember there's a good pipeline of "stories" coming from NY, where I'm sure the common thread is "once you get here...."

Having flown SAR missions in the early 90s and witnessed Cubans literally rowing "floating junk" across the Straits, I realize how "the land of freedom" is perceived by many who have nothing....what I find sad, is the disappointment and frustration many refugees find once they are here and discover the "streets are not lined with gold", nor is this "the land of milk and honey"...(more like "if you're gonna live here, ya gotta have money", just like it is in the DR!)

Until the Dominican government takes responsibility for the ills of the DR (and quits lining the pockets of themselves and thier cronies) there will always be a segment of people who will risk all to get to "greener (greenback) pastures".....the sad part is, while we hear about a few....there are many more we don't hear about....1 in 4 Cubans survived crossing the Florida Straits back when I flew....

I share a fictionalized (based on a rescue I did) version of one family's journey in Dying to Get Here: A Story of Coming to America.....

As it turns out, this particular Dominican flagged ship yesterday was said to be a rusted but sea worthy freighter...and there were also a few Brazilians aboard....and YES...it is sad to think people are so desperate

Sad, but all very true!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pyratt and drloca, go back and re-read 2dlight's post, complete with the title:
It will stop when... there are more incentives to stay in the country than to leave it, at any cost!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks Chiri

Pyratt and drloca, go back and re-read 2dlight's post, complete with the title:

It is very sad that educated, and in many cases, very intelligent individuals who post regularly on this site are so quick to launch an attack on someone's post without first fully digesting what was posted. It was a very simple post, using very simple words, used to address a not so simple dilemma in Dominican life. I don't have the solutions, as so many who post here apparently seem to have. It is one thing to post your indignations and outrage about the state of affairs in the Dominican Republic, and another to do something about it. I do my part quietly because I don't need the recognition.

Reactions: bigbird

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
There was no attack by drloca or myself....and I congradulate you on doing your part. The DR has many "friends"...and could use a few more helping hands.

Reactions: drloca