Beach Walker and Boat Taxi's

CanadianCutie23

Dec 24, 2003
Hello Friendly DR1er's!

The time has come again for me to return to the wonderful Republica Dominicana. This will be my first visit to the east coast and as such I've been busy researching everything and anything bavaro related.

I'll be staying at the Riu Taino and I've been trying to get an understanding of distances between hotels, plazas, etc. Thus far, this search has been somewhat unsuccessful in that I've just found very generalized information (i.e. 40 kilometres of beautiful white sand beaches).

Would anyone know how long (kilometres or hours) it would take to walk from the Rius north to the furthest hotel (i.e. Sivory/Agua/Excellence area)? What about south to Bavaro Plaza/Occidental Grand region? Onwards to the most southern hotel area (i.e. Catalonia/Club Med) from either the Rius or central Occidental Grand region?

Also, is it possible to walk end to end along the beach or are there areas which are not passable?

I've also heard rumours about the possibility of boat taxi's that operate in the region. Are there specific pick up spots? How much do they usually cost?

Thanks in advance for your help!
D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi D.,
to the walks you mentioned:
from the Rui Taino to occidental grand flamenco, 1hr one way,
up to the uvero alto hotels north of the riu resort, too far for a walk.
yes, the beaches are all walkable in that area, no restrictions on that. boat taxis can be arranged at your hotel's watersports centers, rates depend on distances and number of persons in your group.
a water taxi will always be more expensive than a landbased cabby.
the mentioned plaza bavaro is not accessible from the beach side, you would need to cross the property of one of the hotels there, they will not allow you to enter/walk throu, so to visit the plazas i would recommend to take a cabby.
have fun
Mike

CanadianCutie23

Dec 24, 2003
Thanks for the advice, Mike! I love hiking the Bruce here in Ontario but haven't been able to find any information on hiking in the PUJ area so I guess the miles of white sand will have to do! :)

Cheers,
D

CanadianCutie23

Dec 24, 2003
Of course.. one more question has popped into my head..

Are there gua-guas and/or motoconchos that could be used for transport to the plazas?

Any advice on catching a gua-gua to Higuey?

Cheers,
D.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes D.,
from the main entrance of the Riu Resort you can catch the guagua.
that one brings you up to the Parada Friusa, just a 10 minutes from the Riu resort, at the Parada you can take the short 10 minutes ride on the next guagua to the plaza bavaro, also at the same parada you can catch the bus to higuey, around a 50 minutes ride. way back to the Riu is no problem neither, at the bus stop for bavaro in higuey you take the Guagua to BAVARO(not to Punta Cana, that would be the route which brings you to the airport, ha ha), that bust will drop you off right at the entrance of the Riu Resort, so one bus less needed on the way back from higuey.
have fun
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
You can walk all the way past Flamenco and Fiesta Palladium to Cortecito. The beach has free access to/from Cortecito area as it is a commercial street. There, you can take a Motoconcho to take you to Plaza Bavaro. About 50 pesos. From plaza Bavaro a motoconcho can take you to Riu, don't pay more than 100 pesos.

Maybe MikeFisher can advise on actual rates.

Feb 7, 2007
from the main entrance of the Riu Resort you can catch the guagua.
that one brings you up to the Parada Friusa, just a 10 minutes from the Riu resort, at the Parada you can take the short 10 minutes ride on the next guagua to the plaza bavaro, also at the same parada you can catch the bus to higuey, around a 50 minutes ride.

hehe if you want a "natural experience" take the guagua the employees ride to Higuey, in front of Riu. Give the driver 100 pesos and you will be all set to go. He might even take you for free... the guagua will go directly to Higuey... but be prepared for lots of people squeezed in, and no A/C. (The express bus from Friusa to Higuey is very comfortable and has A/C, runs on the hour).

CanadianCutie23

Dec 24, 2003
Thanks Mike and Rubio... and some followup questions..

The "bus" to Higuey (mentioned by Mike) is an actual bus and not a gua gua? How much would this cost? Is this bus also available to go back to the Riu or is only gua gua possible?

What would a gua gua look like? How much should a gua gua cost from the Riu to the parada?

Any advice on things to do in Higuey (tourist attractions, shopping, etc.)?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
those public buses are all Guaguas.
from the mainstation at Friusa towards higuey and afterwards back from higuey to the Riu you can choose between the "guagua caliente", running without AC and starting around every 30 minutes, and the "Expreso"(much more comfortable and running AC) starting every full hour both ways.
the by Rubio mentioned Emoloyee transportation buses are something different, yes, they would also bring you, no fix shedule.
yes Rubio, your mentioned motoconcho rates 50 pesos from el cortecito to the plaza bavaro and 100 pesos from the plaza to the Riu are accurate per person rates.
due to dominican motor taxi driving style i would not recommend such to people who are a bit 'scary' or such,
it is DIFFERENT to home, ha ha.
they are available all day long at all spots where people walk.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
so what is "guagua"

Guagua can be a pickup truck
Guagua can be a jeepata (suv)
Guagua can be a small 10 passanger minivan
Guagua can be a 25 passanger minibus
Guagua can be a large comfortable airconditioned 50+ passanger bus

Guagua is everything that moves, has 4 wheels, is used for transport, can accomodate several passangers apart from the driver, and is not a "camion" (truck) or a passanger car.

Feb 7, 2007
Guagua caliente - is mostly referred to a bus with no a/c.
Sometimes it refers to airconditioned buses making intermediate stops.

E.g. between Higuey and Santo Domingo

"Expreso" buses are airconditioned, do not make stops and always show movies and are 20 pesos more expensive than regular "caliente" buses. Also, you have to buy a numbered ticket with your seat number in advance. No standing passangers permitted.

"Caliente" buses are also airconditioned, make stops in La Romana and San Pedro, frequently show movies, are 20 pesos less expensive than "expreso" buses. The seats are on first-come first serve basis and many times during peak travel times some passangers may be standing or seated on make-up chairs in the middle aisle.

Because same buses can one week run "expreso" route and next week "caliente" route, what you find on board is practically the same between the two - A/C and movies. What differs are the seat assignments, and 10 minutes of time saved.

Also, there is a separate route Higuey - San Pedro, operated by the same bus syndicate as Higuey - Santo Domingo. This route is "caliente" only. And IT IS "caliente" - older buses, no a/c, no movies.

CanadianCutie23

Dec 24, 2003
Looks like I'm hijacking my own thread for some additional Geography questions. :cheeky:

It looks like I'll be returning with my amigas for a wedding. While the wedding is taking place at the Majestic Colonial we were looking into staying somewhere not as posh in order to enjoy two weeks on the beach.

Would you be able to comment on the distances via playa from the Grand Paradise Bavaro to MC and from the Colony Bay Resort to MC?

It looks to be pretty close?

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Dawn