corruption in the legal system???

chicacanela

Nov 2, 2008
a man was shot and my husband was picked up and put in jail because he had similar clothing to the shooter. my husband is innocent and ALL the evidence proves this as well, but because this man has a family member who is a judge, my husband still has not been released. i assume this is a common occurence, but none the less is a horribly dishonest thing to do, but what is usually the outcome in a situation like this? does my husband have a better than great chance of being released? please give me some hope, i'm very, very sad. thank you.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Me too, sorry to be so lengthy.

Identical thing happened to my brother in law. But it was a aggravated sex charge and he made the mistake of wearing a green shirt when he left home the day following the incident. The perp was identified as wearing a green shirt. Brother in law spent three months in a really bad jail in Santo Domingo. No evidence of any kind other than the victim identifying my brother in law. Crime happened in the dead of night and the victim admitted she did not see his face. We even had an eyewitness, a teenage boy who swore it was not my brother in law. After months of B.S.(brother in law in jail unable to support his family) we took the option of paying. The government gave the victim a free lawyer and she also had the money to hire her own representation. My wife paid the lawyers directly so at least the liar got next to nothing when the two lawyer thieves were done with her. This was a total Dominican case, no gringo's involved. The just us system here is even worse that the United States. Best of luck to you.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My experience is that when a person is innocent but lawyers and accusers see the opportunity to cash in, then you will be offered a deal through your own attorney. Get a good attorney immediately and pay the money! - D

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
There is no such thing as a good lawyer in The DR.

We are the fish and they are the fishers. Get a gun and shoot the bastards. That is the only thing they will understand. Make sure you shoot yourself right after because jail really sucks here.

chicacanela

Nov 2, 2008
many thanks to all who gave their stories and advice. this shooting happened in santo domingo 2 weeks ago. i guess the victim has alot of money and/or influence in the community, but who cares, the wrong guy is in jail. my husbands family tells me that his lawyer is good, but i am not allowed to speak to him b/c he is not to know i am american and all their phones lines are being tapped. also, it seems like i cannot get a straight answer from anybody on what exactly is happening. how bad would it be(for my husband) to expose this man's family member who is a judge, or to let them know that they are convicting the wrong guy who is the husband of an american citizen? or does that even make a difference? can the department of human rights get involved in cases like these?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeap,\looks like my 2nd post did not went throu, sorry,
so again:
if his family is taking care about the case and they would need money for that, the "gringa"(sorry for the simple naming, but i think we know what's meant) would be the first to know about such.
otherwise,
let them take care of it their way and
back off.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
thanks for your advice...i just wish i could get his family to be straight with me.

I'm assuming you know for certain that your husband is in jail & I'm also assuming you don't live in DR? In other words, what I'm asking is whether you are being set up by husband's family? Any 'requests' for payments in the past etc - you don't need to answer this here, just think about it. Hope you don't find this offensive, it isn't meant to be; just based on many years of seeing this sort of thing happen.

Assuming you're not being set up by them, then I can quite see how they would feel that your husband's lawyer knowing you are a US citizen could put the fee up, so better it is handled by them.

All the families phone lines are being tapped? By whom? And who told you? What if they went out & got a disposable cellphone? Could that be tapped too?

Next time you speak to the family, try telling them you have made arrangements to visit the DR. You ought to be able to gather something from the reaction..........

Lotus

Nov 3, 2008
That sounds a bit fishy...but whether its true or false I feel bad that you are being put through this. I hope it all works out. Word of advice: Try looking for online articles on the shooting I'm sure the media would have put something out by now...just a thought.