Inverters: Trace 12 volts, vs. Generic 24 volts

Oct 23, 2008
Hello Folks, thanks for the answers to my other post.

I was speaking to the owner of a inverter company yesterday who said that she can make me a special inverter of 1.5 KW 24-volts with the best possible parts and give me 2 years of full guarantee with it for RD $ 13,000.

I spoke with Trace, and they give 1.5 KW 12-volts inverter with 3 months of full guarantee, and 2 years in parts and services, for RD $ 12,500 (in cash) - model DR1512. The DR1524 (24-volts) costs nearly RD $ 30,000 .

The inverter is going to be used with 4 Trojan Red Batteries that I am yet to buy.

Trace is the same as Xantrex. (I called up Xantrex and verified that).

I am kinda low on cash and cannot afford a big system right now. Is it advisable to go with the generic brand inverter company? or should I go the Trace way?

I have read all the forums and recently there was a discussion about the generic brand vs. Trace.

The question really is... is it dis-advantageous to have a 12 volt 1.5 KW Trace inverter? as opposed to a 24-volt generic brand (supposedly made with superior parts?) and run wwith 4 batteries?

Any clues from the gurus would be appreciated.

Thanks, :)
Haunting

Reactions: AnnaC

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
In my experience, whenever you go cheap in this country you end up paying for it again in the future. I've had Xantrex (Trace) inverters for over 8 years here and generally have zero problems with them. The customized "homegrown" versions I've seen in friends' homes seems to cause no end of troubles.

Another suggestion: If you cannot easily find maintenance for it here you shouldn't buy it. If the customized inverter can only be repaired by the one building it you are likely setting yourself up for future repairs (regardless of warranty) from a single source.

I would get the Xantrex.

Reactions: Rocky

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
there is a saying: "The bitterness of poor quality is long remembered after the sweet taste of low price if forgotten."...... or Pay me now, or pay me later... buy a good one the first time around, and you won't have problems

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would talk to AZB...he has a guy that is really great....at least talk to him and see what he can do...AZB has his info..

HB

Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the Trace 1524 which costs the same and is sold here locally as well. Should I buy TRACE batteries locally (with 1 year warranty)? or should I buy Trojan batteries from a supplier in another city who is willing to bring them down to me along with a 2 year warranty?

I don't have a car, so it makes living in DR a bit difficult. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 7, 2007
I was speaking to the owner of a inverter company yesterday who said that she can make me a special inverter of 1.5 KW 24-volts with the best possible parts and give me 2 years of full guarantee with it for RD $ 13,000.

That price is too high. On-the-knee made inverter (1.5 kW) should cost about 9,000 pesos without batteries, with basic installation. Especially in Santo Domingo where there is a lot of competition.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who also makes inverters. He says you really don't need 24 V. If you have just 2 or 4 batteries, it will give too much ampers on 24 V when charging. Inverters for under 2 - 2.5 kW should be just 12 V. You can connect 4 batteries (required for 24 V inverters) in 2-2 series, using 12V inverter. 1, 1.2, 1.5 and 2 kW inverters are 12 V, 2.5, 3, etc. are 24 V and 5 kW over are 48 V. Now if you need to connect lots of batteries with your 1.5 kW inverter (like 8) than it's OK to go for 24 V. If you want to connect 2, 4 or 6 batteries go for 12 V. Also, when you have 24 V inverter, you need to buy inverter batteries in increments of 4, while for 12 V inverters you buy batteries in increments of 2.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Import a Trace from te USA?

Consider importing a Trace from the States. The cost" @ 50% of the DR price. It fits into a suitcase or a large duffle bag. Weight? 30 - 50 lbs. Heavy, but doable. I did it once.
* Batteries? Far to heavy. Not realistic.
* Google Trace for USA vendors & prices. Good luck!

melagomania

Nov 4, 2008
Not too high

That price is too high. On-the-knee made inverter (1.5 kW) should cost about 9,000 pesos without batteries, with basic installation. Especially in Santo Domingo where there is a lot of competition.

Depends on the type of motherboard and the brands used. Some brands due to their better quality and name are more expensive than the cheaper ones. Also, the writer of this forum said that there was a 2 year full warranty offered with the inverter?

Well, I myself know a family, and they a have poorly made inverter with Trojan Batteries that has lasted them 31/2 years without any glitches. One of my friends has Tronic batteries with a really well built inverter that has lasted him 3 years. If you have a locally made inverter from someone you can trust, and KNOW that they know what they are doing, who promises to deliver and outperform better than all the others with a 2 year full guarantee, go for it. Remember, I said someone you can trust, because there are a lot of people who are willing to cheat.

More or less, if all goes well, your Trojan batteries will last you about 4 years or more, depending on how you take care of it. Best wishes.

melagomania

Nov 4, 2008
Luggage inverter

Consider importing a Trace from the States. The cost" @ 50% of the DR price. It fits into a suitcase or a large duffle bag. Weight? 30 - 50 lbs. Heavy, but doable. I did it once.
* Batteries? Far to heavy. Not realistic.
* Google Trace for USA vendors & prices. Good luck!

And if your inverter from the US breaks down, just make another trip back (atleast $450), and have them repair it for free (hopefully). If you take the Xantrex inverter to Trace International in the Capital, they might make you pay for it.

If you dont have a car, and are not willing to take the risk of Trace's partial guarantee (after the 3 initial months), find a seller locally who is reliable and has a long list of clientelle and buy from them.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
In DR they used a 20 year old technology

Xantrex bought in DR are not the same than Xantrex bought in US,

In DR they used a 20 year old technology.
In US they charge your batteries 3 time faster. (multistage charger)
In US they give you back 82 watts when you use 100 to charge.
In DR only around 60.(a big difference when you pay electricity)

etc...etc...

You can bring it down in your hand luggage. (No security issue)
I did it 3 times. airports MiA/PHL/BOS POP/STI

P.