Can I buy an Orange sim card online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuwars

Nov 4, 2008
I am planning to travel to the Dominican Republic in February and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a place where I could purchase a sim card online before I go. Last time I was there I came home with a $1500 phone bill and I'm looking to aviod that this time.......

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I am planning to travel to the Dominican Republic in February and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a place where I could purchase a sim card online before I go. Last time I was there I came home with a $1500 phone bill and I'm looking to aviod that this time.......

Not sure about getting one online ahead of time, but there are a zillion places to buy them once you arrive, and they are basically free after you subtract the value of the minutes they come with. Just go to a shop with an Orange sign with your phone, passport and a couple of hundred pesos and they will have you up and calling in 15 minutes or so.

Feb 7, 2007
You cannot do it online. Need a passport or cedula to get one.

There is one cheaper option for calls to the USA, which is VIVA. It has 1 second billing on international and domestic calls (Orange has 1 second billing only on domestic calls) and is about 50% cheaper than Orange.

It costs about 11 pesos to call USA on Orange prepaid, it costs 5.50 pesos to call USA on VIVA prepaid.

Orange is easy to spot, orange-colored shops. VIVA has green-colored shops and the number of shops is as plentiful as Orange's.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Make sure phone is unlocked

Before you go there and get a SIM card you need to make sure your phone is unlocked to any network which most phones are not. The carrier generally has it locked to their network only and it takes them a couple of days to provide you the unlock information.

I ran into that problem before when I went to Jamaica with my local SIM card I purchased. My phone was locked to AT&T network and could not use the other SIM card. They did not get me the code until after I got back which was useless. Once it is unlocked it is unlocked forever and you never have to do that again.:cheeky:

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I just got back from Sosua and had to get a SIM card form Orange while I was down there. It cost 350 pesos to activate it and then they also includes some time on your phone. Very easy to do and only took a few minutes.

And like the others have said....make sure your phone is unlocked.

Cheers
Sammy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Most phones can be unlocked for RD$200 at a phone repair shop in 5 minutes. Claro or Orange will not unlock a phone.
It is just easier to arrive with an unlocked phone.

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
I was told by Orange at Janet's supermarket in Cabarate last week that I was allowed only two SIM cards on my passport number????
When I buy one here and return to the UK then the SIM card expires and I need to buy a new one next time - but will there be a next time?

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
I was told by Orange at Janet's supermarket in Cabarate last week that I was allowed only two SIM cards on my passport number????
When I buy one here and return to the UK then the SIM card expires and I need to buy a new one next time - but will there be a next time?

you can have only 2 active numbers,so as soon they expire (which is after 3 month the last calling card expired) the number will be deleted from the system giving you the opportunity to activate a new phone number in the future.

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
you can have only 2 active numbers,so as soon they expire (which is after 3 month the last calling card expired) the number will be deleted from the system giving you the opportunity to activate a new phone number in the future.
Now that makes more sense! So in the 3 months after the calling card has expired but before the number has been removed from the system, can I reactivate the number?

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
Now that makes more sense! So in the 3 months after the calling card has expired but before the number has been removed from the system, can I reactivate the number?

yes you can, as long it is between that 3 months period the number is still in your name and in the system.
Just dont forget to go directly to orange, no to one of theirs retailers..

dukes1963

Jan 3, 2007
I just ran into this problem at the Orange Store in Boca Chica-I have been there twice before and got SIM cards-this time they said I could not get another one and would have to go to SDQ to the main office to get my account cleared. They check your passport # and I guess if you have 2 SIMS they lock you out. I am only down twice a year and my SIMS expired. I was able to find somebody without an orange account and they activated my phone. But still kind of a pain

julian7329

Jan 4, 2009
Where to buy Claro prepaid sim?

Hello. I will need 2 prepaid sim cards for local D.R. use. Don't plan on calling long distance. Just need it to communicate with the other person that I am staying there with. Mostly texting.

I will be going to the Punta Cana region, and heard that Claro has a better and more consistent signal than Orange for this area. Any truth to this?

Does Claro have their own booths like Orange? Should I pick them up at the Punta Cana airport? I will be staying at the Grand Paradise Bavaro. Any Claro booths in this area? Should I pay in USD or DOP for it?

Thank you in advance.

rookie44

Jan 13, 2008
What is our best move Claro or Orange?

I just ran into this problem at the Orange Store in Boca Chica-I have been there twice before and got SIM cards-this time they said I could not get another one and would have to go to SDQ to the main office to get my account cleared. They check your passport # and I guess if you have 2 SIMS they lock you out. I am only down twice a year and my SIMS expired. I was able to find somebody without an orange account and they activated my phone. But still kind of a pain

This is the same info they gave my wife when we went down in Dec 08. We had been there previously in June 08. So what do you after 2 activations. We got the phone and activation in an Orange store in Puerto Plata. This seems like a stupid rule. We plan on going back in July 09. Should we switch over to Claro. The phone seemed to work okay we stay in Costambar. Any help is appreciated.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
When I was in the States, I bought a Sony Ericsson cell phone from AT&T with $100 worth of time, good for one year. I have another Sony Ericsson here with Orange. When I tried switching the SIM cards, it didn't work, thereby defeating my ability to use my new phone here.
Is there anyway i can get my Orange Sim Card to work with the new phone? Do I need to take it to an Orange Shop. or what??

Texas Bill

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You have to get the phone "unlocked". Take it to an independent phone shop, and the "technico" will fix you up for a few hundred pesos.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
@dukes1963
With Orange you can have up to 3 phonenumbers.
If you do not charge the card, after a while the number get lost.
The time depends on the value of RDS you charge. Maximum is three month.
Solution: find a local person who take care and use the chip once in a while, or load the card. Important: It is not enough just loading the card! you mus tmake min. 1 call!
Example: my friend is away for 6 month per year. I buy every month for 100 RDS a phonecard and load the phone, make just one call. The miutes accumulate and when he is back he has plenty money for calls.
Maybe a business idea?:surprised Sim-Card-sitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.