Maintaining a Claro phone number from abroad

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There was a discussion on this a couple of years ago, but I think things have changed with the sale of the company. I just returned to the US from a trip to the DR, where I bought a Claro SIM card for my phone. My activation will expire at the end of December, but I will not be able to return til January at the earliest. I can get a new SIM when I go back of course, but I would like to keep the same number. Is there a way to keep this number active by buying minutes online or a number to call from here in the US and add minutes from a card?

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know how Claro, but Orange offers prepaid Roaming in the USA and Canada and most of Western Europe. You can just enter the recharge cards anywhere you are in the roaming area with your prepaid roaming activated. You have to activate it before leaving the DR. Check with Claro que tienes m?s to see if they offer a similar service.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Part of the problem...............

There was a discussion on this a couple of years ago, but I think things have changed with the sale of the company. I just returned to the US from a trip to the DR, where I bought a Claro SIM card for my phone. My activation will expire at the end of December, but I will not be able to return til January at the earliest. I can get a new SIM when I go back of course, but I would like to keep the same number. Is there a way to keep this number active by buying minutes online or a number to call from here in the US and add minutes from a card?

can be solved by calling this TOLL FREE number from the US and refilling your phone:

1-800-644-9942

I am not sure where you can buy the cards, but I thought that there were places in the US where they can be purchased.......

You can always find SOMEONE YOU TRUST!, ( who won't use your minutes in their phone!) in the DR and have them buy you a card and scratch off the strip and supply you with the number and all you have to do is enter it by calling the above number from the US........

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks for the didgets POPBB. I have someone who can get a card for me and email the number. So when I dial that toll free #, do I enter the # of the Claro phone, and then the card #?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It's toll free.................

..........so just call it and find out............

I really don't know cause I don't have prepaid phones.........I do know the number works though cause I tried it............

I believe you can dial:

*22 for balance
311 to Refill cards
611 English

I would assume that if you dialed the 311 it would then prompt you to enter the telephone number etc and then the card number..........

Since it's free, you might want to call now and just check it out before getting a card.........

Feb 7, 2007
Called the 800 #. You cannot recharge prepaid phone via that number. It's a calling card access number.

You can 1) activate roaming and recharge similar way as I described in Re: Orange
2) Somebody can go a a Codetel/Claro customer service center and recharge your phone electronically - you enter your phone number and get recharged
3) Buy electronic recharge at stores with machines (similar to POS credit card terminals) where you enter your phone number and get recharged. I think La Sirena does that, and many other stores

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I guess the number is wrong...........

Called the 800 #. You cannot recharge prepaid phone via that number. It's a calling card access number.

You can 1) activate roaming and recharge similar way as I described in Re: Orange
2) Somebody can go a a Codetel/Claro customer service center and recharge your phone electronically - you enter your phone number and get recharged
3) Buy electronic recharge at stores with machines (similar to POS credit card terminals) where you enter your phone number and get recharged. I think La Sirena does that, and many other stores

.....but I know that my friends recharge their "prepaid" claro phones IN THE US............cause I bring cards to the US for them whenever I go there....... I have a call into one of them now to find out how they do it...............

.............i'll post any info as soon as I get it.............sorry about the wrong number.............but that's what I had from about 3 years ago.........

I KNOW it can be done, cause on a trip to the US 2 weeks ago one friend wanted 4 - $250.00 claro cards which I brought to them..............They must activate the phone somehow.!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Well..........

......I have the number and it's no longer toll free...........

it is: 809-200-3224

You can charge the phone by calling that number and entering in your card number that you bought........

......they ask your phone number etc...........

PopBadBoy

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
To clarify.........

You can charge the phone by calling that number and entering in your card number that you bought........

PopBadBoy

This is for a CLARO (Verizon) prepaid phone.................

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the clarification. Now does anyone know if Viva has the same option?

Thanks
Ro

Feb 15, 2005
With Claro you can only have roaming with an active account agreement and not with pre-paid service (using pre-paid calling cards)

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Doesn't work

PopBadBoy

I just tried to call that number and it said it was disconnected. I am in the same boat and am returning to the DR at the end of December and my number is supposed to expire at the beginning. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I can have someone buy me a card down there but I still need to get it loaded to my phone.

ehunter

Feb 19, 2009
Newer information

Santo Domingo: 30th January, 2009 ? ezetop is pleased to officially roll out its operations into the Dominican Republic with Claro Codetel, the leading Mobile Phone Operator there. With this agreement, the considerable Dominican community living abroad will now be able to send recharge back home instantly to the Claro mobile phones of their relatives - people will be able to send Claro recharge from over 50,000 US retail stores and from Welcome to ezetop | Send Mobile Phone Credit Worldwide.

ezetop enables relatives abroad to support friends and families back home in a very practical way by delivering airtime credit directly to mobile phones. ezetop provides mobile phone top-up services into more than 50 mobile operators around the world including the Caribbean, Latin America, Africa and Asia.

Victor Sim?n, Claro Codetel Recharge Manager said: ?In Claro we always look to go beyond the expectations of our customers with world-class solutions. Today we reach our goal by providing to the Dominicans who live abroad the means to ensure that they stay connected with their family and friends in Dominican Republic.?

Charles Jaunie, ezetop's Sales & Marketing Manager said: "We are delighted to extend our services to Dominican Republic and to add Claro Codetel to our partners, the most important telecommunication company in the Dominican Republic. We are delighted to support the significant Dominican community abroad particularly in the US, where we have a large number of retail stores catering to the Dominican community.?

For more information, visit Welcome to ezetop | Send Mobile Phone Credit Worldwide or contact - press@ezetop.com

https://www.ezetop.com/us/en/about-us-news.aspx?n=61

I just tried to call that number and it said it was disconnected. I am in the same boat and am returning to the DR at the end of December and my number is supposed to expire at the beginning. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I can have someone buy me a card down there but I still need to get it loaded to my phone.

Dont worry yourself, The card will expire and all you have to do is buy a new pre paid card to reactivate your phone. You will not lose your number for at least 3 months if you dont refill your balance.

ehunter

Feb 19, 2009
When I was not able to use the service for the DR I sent eztop an email. Here is their response:
===========================================
Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email.

We are working to integrate this service onto our site and it should be available very soon.

If we can be of any other help or if you have any suggestions for our service please let us know.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul
ezetop Customer Service
ezetop Ltd.,
Ballsbridge Court, Lansdowne Road,
Dublin 4, Ireland.
Fax: +353 1 633 5774
customerservice@ezetop.com
Welcome to ezetop | Send Mobile Phone Credit Worldwide

Sooz

Nov 11, 2005
English

I am trying to figure out how much time I have left and when I call *22 I get Spanish....is there a way to get the message in English?