Solar Panels or Batteries??

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I need to power a 3.6 kilo inversor. Are solar panels better? Is there enough knowledge to install in DR? Is there anyone who knows what all those numbers on the solar panels mean??

Sorry for all the questions. I need to place this in a 3br apt, I have the use of the rooftop so, I am able to place it, just need guidence.

Thanks to all in advance

sunshine

Oct 23, 2008
Batteries are always better. Plenty of dominicans are educated on that. Solar panel..... you might wanna put them in a strong gridded metal enclosure to prevent theft. Also, there isn't enough knowledge to install, since it is not sold very often. You can also use both (this might take you off the grid and you will have your own electricity nearly 24/7 if you buy enough batteries and Solar Panels with the highest efficiency rates. Sorry, dont know much about Solar panels though. Perhaps someone else who knows can help you decide.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I can't find the article, but there was something written on "treehugger.com" about building your own solar panel system (not the panels per say, but the structure to put the tapped energy to use). Still looking, but this is where I got the initial information.

From SFGate.com

Inexpensive solar

Michael Davis, a Florida inventor who owns property in the Arizona desert, became a minor DIY Internet sensation on the environmental Web site treehugger.com last month when he posted a step-by-step guide on building a homemade solar panel system for $105.
Davis said he needed the free electricity to power tools and equipment on his property near Arizona's Painted Desert, where he relies mostly on a generator. He bought used and blemished solar panels off eBay for about $30 and strung together a bootleg unit that managed to power 60 watts of free juice, enough to recharge his drill overnight - a small but important step in the DIY quest to corral solar energy on the cheap.
Davis' panels also received high attention on instructables.com, the San Francisco-based Web site that has become a popular destination for do-it-yourselfers looking for detailed instructions. Since the site added a green section last year, users worldwide have contributed more than 120 blueprints on green home improvement projects, everything from contraptions to convert attic heat into hot water to tinning a roof with aluminum cans.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I need to power a 3.6 kilo inversor. Are solar panels better? Is there enough knowledge to install in DR? Is there anyone who knows what all those numbers on the solar panels mean??

Sorry for all the questions. I need to place this in a 3br apt, I have the use of the rooftop so, I am able to place it, just need guidence.

Thanks to all in advance

sunshine

Anything you place on the roof, be prepared to have it stolen.

If this was your OWN house you could take steps to protect it better.
Un-attended in a multiple occupant building, not a good idea.
Same applies to your "Inverter" and batteries.

The number of panels needed to keep the batteries charged probably will not justify the use of them. (In my opinion)

Don SantiagoDR

track

Sep 6, 2008

Thanks to all in advance

sunshine

1- The Solar panels are NOT a substitute for batteries. You will need the Inverter and the batteries no matter what.

2- Cost of electricity, yes even in DR, cost of energy is not as high as cost per watt of solar panels. Example.

You have a 3.6 KW inverter, That's the maximum continuous capacity, not necessarily what you consume. For the example I will bring that down to 1.2KW that's 28.8KW day or 864 KW month on the light bill or ~$7,732.00 pesos month.

In the DR you have about 4.5 hours of efficient solar radiation for the panels to convert to energy. That's 28.8KW/4.5 = 6.4KW per hour you need to produce. A big solar panel will output about 180 - 190 watts and cost is about $700.00 - $800.00 plus shipping plus tax. Then 6,400 / 180 = 35.5. You will need 36 solar panels and have no need to use EdeEste, EdeSur or EdeNorte. But you will need $25,200 American Dollars or 882,000 pesos, plus shipping and import taxes.

3- The graph and number represent the maximum power under maximum temperature. The Breakdown voltage, the open voltage etc.

4- Unless you have a big, apartment you don't have the space to put it. The solar panels must point to the south.

5- Think about the following, If you are not Dominican ask any of your friends back home if they know what an inverter is. Ask them if the know what's the peak power of their homes, etc. Dominican know how to make inverters, batteries because it's a way to survive the long ending crisis they have. Yes you will find dumb Dominicans that will burn the inverter but you will also find that in any part of the world. The DR is the place to promote Inverters World Wide, They have more inverters per each head ( Per Capita ) than any place in the world, that's a fact.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
why don't you go to Easy Power in Sosua and ask for some information.....about 2yrs ago, an installed system (by a German tech) was about 22,000 us. That ran everything in the house, including a dryer and a pool pump....the cost is quite high, but you will never have to worry about being out of power... and you don't need 36 panels, this system was 8 or 10 panels.... but i would go to Easy Power and check it out.... the info they give is free

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
In Egypt I saw entire towns powered with solar panels only. Also, in NJ state authorities provide solar panels to qualified home owners free of charge.

To buy - they are expensive. But with solar panels one becomes self-sufficient, self-sustaining and independent from all commercial power suppliers who like to jack up prices at any moment. Con Edison in New York is just one horrible example.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
A few years ago, a Spanish ONG provided low income rural families living on border provinces, in areas away from the grid, complete solar panel systems including inverter, batteries, regulators and complete wiring. The grid now reaches many of these communities, and most users have been unable to properly maintain the systems, particularly substituting the batteries. I know for a fact that many are willing to sell their systems for relatively derisory amounts, since they now obtain energy from the grid for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

track

Sep 6, 2008
why don't you go to Easy Power in Sosua and ask for some information.....about 2yrs ago, an installed system (by a German tech) was about 22,000 us. That ran everything in the house, including a dryer and a pool pump....the cost is quite high, but you will never have to worry about being out of power... and you don't need 36 panels, this system was 8 or 10 panels.... but i would go to Easy Power and check it out.... the info they give is free

( 8 or 10 panels ) Could be, if they have a gas / propane frig and no ironing , and no pump and no AC, and a limited life style, and it never rains or gets cloudy, and..

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
sorry but your info might be quite dated....this was with an electric fridge, electric dryer, yes electric and a pump for the pool.....the only thing that didn't use electric was a solar hot water system, and the stove.... panels are alot more efficient these days than back in the 80's

track

Sep 6, 2008
sorry but your info might be quite dated....this was with an electric fridge, electric dryer, yes electric and a pump for the pool.....the only thing that didn't use electric was a solar hot water system, and the stove.... panels are alot more efficient these days than back in the 80's

Dude, are you calling me an old man?

Math is math.

10 Solar panels, new solar panels from Sanyo ( See the ebay link) will output a total of 1900 watts x 4.5 hours = 8,850 watts per day.

A small refrigerator will consume 300 watt average per hour ( Don't open it 4 time per day), that's 300 watts x 24 hours = 7,200 watts in one day. That gives you a total of 1,650 watts for the entire day. Let's see what you can do with that.

5 Light bolt x 15 watts ( New Fluorescent type ) x 5 hours = 375 watts.
1 TV, LCD 22 inch x 2 hour per day x 60 = 120 watts
1 computer, Laptop x 1 hour per day x 50 = 50 watts
1 Small Internet router x 1 hours x 10 W = 10 Watts
1 Cordless Phone x 24 hours x 3 watts = 72 watts
1 microwave over x .5 hours per day x 800 = 400 watts
1 radio, small very small 10 watts x 1 hours = 10 watts
1 Ceiling fan x 2 hours, 140 watts = 280 watts.
------------------------------------------------------
Total = 1,267 Watts

Now If you put in a water pump for the pool, 400 Watts x 24 hours = 9,600
Electric dryer 2 hours per Week ( 2,500 x 2 = 5,000 / 7 = 714 Watts
Total = 9,600 + 714 = 10,314 Watts.

Let's make it fit,
Water pump for the pool half hours per day = 200 Watts
Electric Dryer 30 minutes per week = 179 Watts per day
Gran Total 1,267 + 379 = 1,646.

Honney, Please don't do any of the following thing.

Don't charge the cell phone
Don't use the blender
Don't Iron
Don't use the washing machine
Don't come home late
Don't, do not, no way install the Christmas tree this year.
Don't let anyone ring the door bell.
Do NOT use the kitchen extractor.
Don't have any kids because they have PSP, WII, and stuff.
Do NOT use the printer!

What a limited life style, I would just shoot myself!

But yes, you are right it could be done.;)

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Batteries are always better. Plenty of dominicans are educated on that. Solar panel..... you might wanna put them in a strong gridded metal enclosure to prevent theft. Also, there isn't enough knowledge to install, since it is not sold very often. You can also use both (this might take you off the grid and you will have your own electricity nearly 24/7 if you buy enough batteries and Solar Panels with the highest efficiency rates. Sorry, dont know much about Solar panels though. Perhaps someone else who knows can help you decide.

Thank Haunting,

Sounds good, appreciate your words... selling back energy to DR sounds reall good!!

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
1- The Solar panels are NOT a substitute for batteries. You will need the Inverter and the batteries no matter what.

2- Cost of electricity, yes even in DR, cost of energy is not as high as cost per watt of solar panels. Example.

You have a 3.6 KW inverter, That's the maximum continuous capacity, not necessarily what you consume. For the example I will bring that down to 1.2KW that's 28.8KW day or 864 KW month on the light bill or ~$7,732.00 pesos month.

In the DR you have about 4.5 hours of efficient solar radiation for the panels to convert to energy. That's 28.8KW/4.5 = 6.4KW per hour you need to produce. A big solar panel will output about 180 - 190 watts and cost is about $700.00 - $800.00 plus shipping plus tax. Then 6,400 / 180 = 35.5. You will need 36 solar panels and have no need to use EdeEste, EdeSur or EdeNorte. But you will need $25,200 American Dollars or 882,000 pesos, plus shipping and import taxes.

3- The graph and number represent the maximum power under maximum temperature. The Breakdown voltage, the open voltage etc.

4- Unless you have a big, apartment you don't have the space to put it. The solar panels must point to the south.

5- Think about the following, If you are not Dominican ask any of your friends back home if they know what an inverter is. Ask them if the know what's the peak power of their homes, etc. Dominican know how to make inverters, batteries because it's a way to survive the long ending crisis they have. Yes you will find dumb Dominicans that will burn the inverter but you will also find that in any part of the world. The DR is the place to promote Inverters World Wide, They have more inverters per each head ( Per Capita ) than any place in the world, that's a fact.

Thank you for all the info.... I need a drink after this message.... I am dominican/american.... I know about the inverters. I didn't know I still needed the baterries and I didn't know it would cost almost as much as the apartment lol.
The terrece is of my exclusive use on the last floor. No one should come in, but it is DR... I'm in Santo Domingo, and really thought that I would be able to get solar panels at lesser cost. I was sooo wrong.

sunshine

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the problem with solar panels in the DR, my opinion, you never get free juice because you have to replace the batteries every couple of years, at large expense.......in the US you sell your power back into the electric co. grid, no batteries needed.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
the problem with solar panels in the DR, my opinion, you never get free juice because you have to replace the batteries every couple of years, at large expense.......in the US you sell your power back into the electric co. grid, no batteries needed.

That was what I thought!!! I was planning on getting panels placed next year in my home in the states. While doing research, I figured I could do the same in DR. Can anyone explain why the batteries are still needed?

sunshine7375

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That was what I thought!!! I was planning on getting panels placed next year in my home in the states. While doing research, I figured I could do the same in DR. Can anyone explain why the batteries are still needed?

sunshine7375

You need someway to store the electricity.
At night, the efficiency of a solar panels drops off rapidly :)

Unless you are in the middle of now where, no electricity grid and little access to diesel fuel, solar powering an entire house is not a smart option in the DR right now, unless you are prepared to make a huge investment and have no problem waiting years to recoup that investment.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Thanks Robert,

I was trying to get the solar panels as a replacement for the expensive baterries. No worries will have to get my 8 batteries and do it the dominican way....

sunshine

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
oh yes and with central air....

That house must have had a huge twin inverter system and lots of panels!

A standard 3 ton unit draws at least 25 amps at 220V.
That means you would need 5.5KW of PV (Photovoltaic), that's a lot of panels and VERY expensive.