How do i get temporary residency ?

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
I see an advantage to Dominican citizenship, it's called a passport !

P.s.

1). Can someone please tell me how long it will take to get the temporary residency status from the moment i first walk into a law firm in the Dominican-Republic untill i get that temporary resident status, and how much would it cost ?

2). Can someone please tell me what i have to show them to get temporary-residency, for instance; should i buy property before i become a temporary resident (while i'm still on tourist status only) or wait to get that temporary status first, if the latter, what are the minimum requirements to have if i don't have job there or even an occupation.

3). Should i bring with me any paper work from my home country, or is it better to get it at my countries consulate in Santo-Domingo ?

I hope expats who already went through that system and lawyers would respond.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008

Is it true that if i buy any property whatsoever, i can get citizenship (or at least apply for citizenship) after only 6 months of living in the D-R without having to go through the whole process of temporary-residency and then permanent-residency ?

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Yes, I agree...from what I understand customs agents around the world tend to "red flag" a Dominican passport and treat it with suspicion...due to some "irregularities" a few years back.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
I read that purchasing a condo or a lot or a house all can get you residency.

Anyways, i see nobody in this forum can really help me with the questions i posted in the first 2 posts above.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

P.s.

1). Can someone please tell me how long it will take to get the temporary residency status from the moment i first walk into a law firm in the Dominican-Republic untill i get that temporary resident status, and how much would it cost ?

2). Can someone please tell me what i have to show them to get temporary-residency, for instance; should i buy property before i become a temporary resident (while i'm still on tourist status only) or wait to get that temporary status first, if the latter, what are the minimum requirements to have if i don't have job there or even an occupation.

3). Should i bring with me any paper work from my home country, or is it better to get it at my countries consulate in Santo-Domingo ?

I hope expats who already went through that system and lawyers would respond.

i see you don't feel like searching, eh?
price: from 1000 to 1500 dollars
time: from 3 months upwards
papers: color copy of the passport, all pages including covers. police check. birth certificate. both translated into spanish by a certified translator.
you also have to pass a drug test, AIDS test and xray.
i think this is more or less it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey DV,
exactly that,
been the whole 9yards.
and to answer AGAIN that passport/property question:
you can purchase property here even without a residency, just with your original passport from your homecountry.
if you purchase property aso here in the dominican republic does NOT mean you get for that a residency or a dominican passport, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Mike

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
We're finally getting somewhere.

p.s. when you say police check, do you mean from my home country, or from the Dominican police ??

And

I was told that to get temporary residency you need to show attachments to the Dominican-Republic, like some kind of property OR a bank account with at least $10,000 in it.

If that is false,then how would i get temporary residency ??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
police check from last country of residence, i believe. i had also a police check from my home country.
i hear that DR paper will do now as well - but they DO check criminal record for that...
i never show any papers from the bank for my residency but laws might have changed...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what is the source of your information "to the original poster"
as a lot of it doesnt sound quite right

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so what sounds wrong and why??
so somebody could answer.
DV posted the requirements for everybody who wanna get a dominican residency.
i did not need to show any proof of dominican bank account when i did mine, neither, but that been long ago and may have changed.
if 'somebody' heard 'something', heck,
if you get some info just write it down here and let us know where and from who you 'heard' such.
this is not a 'guessing' bord.
btw,
you wanna know the exact regulations without tooo many people posting their experineces?
just send a e-mail to la migra and they will send you the up to date requirements.
Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was told that to get temporary residency you need to show attachments to the Dominican-Republic, like some kind of property OR a bank account with at least $10,000 in it.

If that is false,then how would i get temporary residency ??

Yes, you do need to show a connection to the DR. A letter from a bank in the DR indicating you have an account. You can have one peso in the account and it does not matter. Or you can provide a letter from your present or future employer in the DR. If you own property in the DR proof of ownership can also be used to show a connection to the DR.

If you intend to use a lawyer for processing your temporary residence why not contact the lawyer directly?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Bigbird,
the lawyer, any lawyer,
would have even provided the form with the requirements.
but each it's own hard way.
a smal typing into the DR search box would've helped a bit, too, ha ha.
but on the other side,
if some rumors say so,
purchase fist a little 10 Mio's ocean front little spot at Cap Cana and if your real estate agent mean's it nice to ya he will give ya that little residency for free together with that.
everybody his own way.
that's why we are a free world.
Mike

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Yes, you do need to show a connection to the DR. A letter from a bank in the DR indicating you have an account. You can have one peso in the account and it does not matter. Or you can provide a letter from your present or future employer in the DR. If you own property in the DR proof of ownership can also be used to show a connection to the DR.

Thanks bigbird, finally i'm getting some direct answers from someone instead of the regular joking around half-answers mixed with criticism.

If you could be so kind as to read my first 2 posts at the top of the first page and answer them too, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
If you intend to use a lawyer for processing your temporary residence why not contact the lawyer directly?[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can i get a list of lawyers who speak english ?

And do you know of a CHEAP but HONEST lawyer in Santo-Domingo ?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Can't resist

If you intend to use a lawyer for processing your temporary residence why not contact the lawyer directly?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can i get a list of lawyers who speak english ?

And do you know of a CHEAP but HONEST lawyer in Santo-Domingo ?[/QUOTE]

How do these words go togethere
CHEAP HONEST lawyer(THIS IS REALLY A STREATCH), HOW ABOUT , CHEAP LAWYER, HONEST LAWYER.