Oxygenating Pool Water

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Can anyone help please?

We have a large pool in our garden - I think that it contains about 16,000 gallons of water. There is a pump which cascades water into the pool for most of each day. But the pool water remains dirty, which means that we cannot see the fish which live in the pool, even when they come up to feed. I think that we probably need more plants to oxygenate the water. (I would in any case like more water plants in the pool). But I do not know what to look for or where to get them. I shall be grateful for any advice. (We are located in the Sosua area).

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
16,000 glns is a lot for a house waterpond.
plants + fish, are the basic elements to keep an ecological balance in your waterpond.
plants will provide shade that will control algae and filter the water.
fish, are neccesary to control mosquitos. they eat the larvae.

If you have green water, what i think is your problem. you may have some floating algae in your pool.
dont worry, some kind of algae are even good, those that grow around the stones, because provides the natural look and remove the nutrients that feed others algae (the bad one)

anyway, you want solutions.
here are some: (If you speak spanish, let me know, so i can explain it better in my mother language).

1.- Algae, multiply in full sun, so, you need some plants around your pool and water plants to provide some shade. plants, will absorb minerals from descompsition of excrement from fish and delivery oxygen to the water.
you can get several water plants in jardin botanico in santo domingo.

2.- Waterfall help to keep the water well oxigenated, but if your waterfall does not run enough water, according to the amount of water that you have in your pond, it does not bring enough oxygen to keep the water clear.

3.- you can consider a biological filter. the filter will convert ammonia and nitrites, produced by fish, plus uneated food in NITRATES. that way nitrates can be taken up by plants or fish.

4.- the use of algeacides helps. just use the right amount.
try to keep the water level.

if you cant find water plants in sosua, let me know, maybe in my next trip to sosua, i can take some with me.

hope you can solve the problem.
| HAUSEN LANDSCAPE | Planning, Design, Contruction, Maintenance

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
mambodog.
Cna you please post some pictures.
I ma building one.. all concrete is already lay down. maybe we can tackle this together.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
2djb1xf.jpg

here is my pond

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
opz96v.jpg

here is my biofilter. I suggest you get one of this. Plant roots will help filter your water and keep it clean

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the helpful advice and information.

Our original intention was to have a nature pond, some distance from our house, which would attract birds, insects, frogs etc as well as having fish. What actually got built is much bigger than we originally planned, but we were happy to accept this because it fits in well with our landscape. But we still want to maintain it as a natural area.

The water is a brown colour, not green. (I would have included a photo but have not yet worked out how to do this). I do not want totally clear water, but I do want to be sure that the water is healthy enough for the fish. Also I would prefer to be able to see a little more of the fish, particularly when they come to the surface to feed.

The pump that the builder installed may or may not be large enough for the pool. I want to avoid using chemicals as far as possible. But the main thing I need is more water plants. I have not yet found anywhere local that knows much about these. A local vivero supplied me with some floating water hyacinths, but these disappeared after a few weeks. (I suspect my gardener was partly responsible when he skimmed the pool surface to remove floating algae!). At the moment, all that I have is a couple of small water lilies and a clump of rushes.

In response to specific points made.

Johnny

1. Yes, I can read Spanish reasonably competently if you prefer to write in that language. (But your English seems perfect!)

2. If you do ever come to Sosua and can bring me some water plants, that would be wonderful. I will try to send you a private message with my contact details so that you can let me know if you are coming here.

Chola1978

I apologise for not being able to include a picture in this post. If you send me your normal email address by private message, I will send you a photo. (Alternatively, perhaps some-one could tell me how to include photos in posts!?)

Thanks again for your help.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Another note of thanks, this timefor the pms received in response to my last post.

chola 1978. I have still not managed to post a photo but, thanks to your advice, I think I'm getting there!

Johnnie. Especial thanks for the plants and advice which you provided when you visited me. The pool looks so much better. It is good to know that, although you are based in Santo Domingo, you can provide landscaping services to us on the North Coast.