Apartment Situation

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
The owner of my apartment calls me last night to let me know that she is selling the apartment that I live in and that the papers should be completed this week. This is the first I am hearing about this.

She says that the new owner may still want to rent the apartment to us and that she will put me in contact with her but she's a shady character so I think that it may just be best to live out my deposit and move.

My question is the following:

I have a standard contract with her that technically was up on October 31st, however, we have just carried on as usual paying the rent since we did not know anything about this sale. Is there a timeframe that she legally has to give me to move out since we are already into November?

Thanks for the help.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As I understand it you have all the protection in place under this owner OR the new owner. If the new owner wants to live in apt herself then she has to give you notice. However she can't boot you out just to rent to someone new.

And your contract just continues. The most they can raise the rent is 10% a year.

I would stick around and see what happens. Maybe the new owners are fine.

Reactions: Sanation

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I think the new owners are planning on living there but not for a few months and they have asked the current owner that they would like it unoccupied. My concern is that I pay the rent to the current owner and I'm not sure if my deposit and my month's rent will be transferred to the new owner or will she turn around and ask me for another deposit or if and when we have to leave.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
#16 12-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Fabio J. Guzman
DR1 Expert Join Date: Jan 2002
(143)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dominican law is very protective of tenant rights. Eviction of a tenant is only possible on the following grounds: (a) failure to pay rent, (b) misuse of the premises, (c) subletting if prohibited by the lease, (d) the owner will use the property.

Note that expiration of the lease is not listed. If the tenant keeps paying the rent, the landlord cannot evict him just because the lease has "expired". An evictions under (d) is usually a long drawn-out process since the first step is a conciliation hearing at which the tenants is regularly given months if not years to look for an alternative dwelling.

This was posted by the DR Lawyer.