best restaurant in punta cana?

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
will be staying at the non AI totuga bay hotel and will need to eat outside the resort

any great places to go

i have been coming to DR since 1979 so I can get around ok

just no mondongo!

dd

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
What type of restaurants are you looking for?

In the Punta Cana area you have quite a few options, however, they are not that cheap ($$$).

You have options inside of Cap Cana such as Mitre (my favorite, the food is fantastic). Also inside of Cap Cana is Sanctuary Hotel which has a few restaurants that are also open to the public such as David Crockett (steakhouse), Wok (asian fusion), Blue Marlin (seafood) along with a few others. I also received a promotion email recently from another restaurant on the Cap Cana Marina called Aquamare or something like that. The prices seemed reasonable, however, I have never eaten there. You can check Cap Cana's website for more info on them. There is also another restaurant called La Yola in Punta Cana (designed by Oscar De la Renta) and I believe they have a website also.

If you would like more reasonably priced restaurants (however, the taxi ride may be a bit more) you have Jellyfish, Hurrican Cafe, El Pulpo Cojo and Capitan Cook (not my fav, but tourists love it) and I'm sure there are some that I am missing which I'm sure other people can fill you in on.

Have a great trip. Tortuga Bay is beautiful. Let us know how you like your trips and which restaurants you tried.

Enjoy!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
In the Punta Cana area you have quite a few options, however, they are not that cheap ($$$).

You have options inside of Cap Cana such as Mitre (my favorite, the food is fantastic). Also inside of Cap Cana is Sanctuary Hotel which has a few restaurants that are also open to the public such as David Crockett (steakhouse), Wok (asian fusion), Blue Marlin (seafood) along with a few others. I also received a promotion email recently from another restaurant on the Cap Cana Marina called Aquamare or something like that. The prices seemed reasonable, however, I have never eaten there. You can check Cap Cana's website for more info on them. There is also another restaurant called La Yola in Punta Cana (designed by Oscar De la Renta) and I believe they have a website also.

If you would like more reasonably priced restaurants (however, the taxi ride may be a bit more) you have Jellyfish, Hurrican Cafe, El Pulpo Cojo and Capitan Cook (not my fav, but tourists love it) and I'm sure there are some that I am missing which I'm sure other people can fill you in on.

Have a great trip. Tortuga Bay is beautiful. Let us know how you like your trips and which restaurants you tried.

Enjoy!

La Yola is at the marina of the Punta Cana Beach Resort. I've always enjoyed the good quality of food over there and there are 2 restaurants at the Golf section of the Punta Cana Beach Resort.

In Cap Cana, The food was excellent too at the restaurant of the playa. (Tortuga Bay ??)

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
thanks

was going to try jellyfish the same day i go to steves to see mike the fisherman

la yola was also my choice for our last night "romantic" dinner

thanks fro confirming that these are good places to try

also thanks for theplaces in CC

i was looking at property there last year (too latenow that my stocks are a 201k plan not a 401k plan) and ate lunch at the beach place
want to try others as it is so close to tortuga bay

will try your recommended place mitre or whatever and will walk through sanctuary hotel to check it out as well

rather just go to a fritura and get my chicarones de puerco and tostones with an ice cold presidente

gracias

david

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For basic Dominican food go to Ver?n. Also in Ver?n, at the Cruce, is a great Italian restaurant, Sole Mio - no sign.
We also like Noah (good gourmet cooking without being too pretentious or overpriced) the cheap and cheerful Mexican El Burrito, La Esquina del Pollo (Dominican) in Plaza Katrina, Pueblo B?varo, and the tapas bar in Palma Real (La Tasca?).
On the beach near Jellyfish the Bibijagua restaurant is not as stylish but the food and the prices are pretty good.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
hi chirimoya,

thanks for your great "local" recommendations

just wondering, what does a moderator do on the DR1 site

do you live in the east?

if so, where would you buy that is nice like sea horse ranch in the north (per my old friend hillbilly) or in the east that is not as overpriced as cap cana

want to be near civilization and nice local places to eat

thanks

david

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
hi chirimoya,

thanks for your great "local" recommendations

just wondering, what does a moderator do on the DR1 site
Well, it's a long and detailed job description, but basically I get to indulge my latent megalomania. :D

do you live in the east?
Yes, but we only moved here in July, so I don't consider myself a local expert - yet.

if so, where would you buy that is nice like sea horse ranch in the north (per my old friend hillbilly) or in the east that is not as overpriced as cap cana

want to be near civilization and nice local places to eat

thanks

david
Have you looked at Punta Cana village? That's where we are and it seems to meet your criteria. Hillbilly mentioned you to me recently: maybe we should meet when you're here? Please send me a PM.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
If you go to Mitre, try the Crema de Yuca, Chilean Seabass and/or the Chocolate Fondant dessert. They are to die for! The manager's name is Daniel and he is awesome and will make sure you have a great meal.

It's definitely not as cheap as pica pollo, but Chiri is right the Veron is close by and you can get good local food at good prices there as well. The Italian Restaurant at the cruce is very good and reasonably priced as well. Neno is the owner and you'll have a great meal there as well.

Enjoy!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha
hey Chiri,
good advice like always.
yeap, sorrily Louis did not make it for a meeting down here to see the kids,
but David and Anne got their way.
Hey DD,
that Cianti been fabulous,
thanks a big bunch.
sure la Yola (right where i have the boats) or Tortuga Bay do not have anything to do with Cap Cana, to reach that class Cap Cana will need an other 5 years or a decade sure.
rates within Cap Cana reasonable???
no comment, still just laughing m.a.o.
Chiri's mentioned spots provide AT LEAST the same quality and cost no more than 10-15 % of those Cap Cana rates.
Mike

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
pedro finds best cold beer

rankings from our trip:

first place: actually, it is pedro's colmado outside the entrance to tortuga bay and they had presidente grandes that were super cold

second place tie: la yola and mitre at capa cana

forth place tie: spanish bistro at cap cana (was approved by lucas) and bistro at tortuga bay

6th place: armacor at cap cana, not worth it

one not tried but looked good was aqua mar at cap cana

thanks to all for your help

anne and david

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Too much Cap Cana on your list, dd - next time we go to Ver?n or B?varo.

Glad you enjoyed the colmado - makes up for the shameless caviar-guzzling by a certain family member. ;) Seriously, who would have thought there was a real colmado so near the entrance to Tortuga Bay?!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Chiri,
and Pedro always has cold ones available, and they do not cost 550.- pesos for a big bottle like within Tortuga Bay, ha ha.
just one correction in case of too much Cap Cana,
the restaurant La Yola is located at the Marina Punta Cana,
that's property of the Punta Cana Resort & Club,
right where David and Anne jumped aboard my fishing boat.
have fun
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mike, Pedro is Mr Chiri, who took them to the colmado: the colmado guy is called Jos?. :D

Flora

Oct 23, 2004
How do you get to the colmado outside the entrance to tortuga bay? Is it on the beach?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's actually called La Bodeguita de Punta Cana and is on the other side of the road near the turning into Tortuga Bay, hidden amongst the vegetation. It might change once the new road is finished, but there is access at the moment.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
best part of our trip

great colmado

cerveza presidente vestida de novia

highlite of the trip

brought a bottle back to TBH to show them a real beer

had a lot of fun with pedro there

hope they dont pave it over

move that cook book

dd