Does GPS work in DR

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I have a GPS in my car that I plan to ship in DR when I move there, does it work there?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
GPS receivers DO work in the DR. Even surveiors have to use them by law now.
However most it not all portable GPS mapping devices (such as found in cars) currently will NOT have any useful maps available, as far as I know.

I use a GPS tracking device at times (got it over fleabay for around USD 20.oo) which allows me to download it's data to google earth. Again... unless I'd use a laptop with stored google earth maps.

... J-D.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, we know GPS devices work in the DR, but the OP is asking about car navigation.
As you also stated, in car GPS systems are useless right now in the DR.

track

Sep 6, 2008
It depends what useless is?

You will not have auto routing available
You will not have nice maps with street name
You will not have elevations
You will not have ....

But will have the Latitude and Longitude coordinates.
For calculation this is the only thing some people need.
Or you could write the coordinates and then search it on google maps or google earth. See it's not useless!:squareeye

If you use Garmin portable GPS you will have basic highway and main roads, but nothing yet on city (SDQ, POP, STI ..)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
In simple terms the country and its cities have not been mapped for a GPS navigation service.

This means that someone ( a service) has to record to each street, intersection, point of interest and insert its GPS information into a database having a map overlay of the location(s). Additional information would be added at that time or at a later date that would best describe the location, such as street traffic direction, toll collections, and/or other facts relevant to it that would assist navigation. The service then sells the data to companies like Garmin, who then will polish and tweek the data to fit its own software and market style.

Regards,
PJT

track

Sep 6, 2008
In simple terms the country and its cities have not been mapped for a GPS navigation service.

This means that someone ( a service) has to record to each street, intersection, point of interest and insert its GPS information into a database having a map overlay of the location(s). Additional information would be added at that time or at a later date that would best describe the location, such as street traffic direction, toll collections, and/or other facts relevant to it that would assist navigation. The service then sells the data to companies like Garmin, who then will polish and tweek the data to fit its own software and market style.

Regards,
PJT

I agree.

Problem is, DR copies all material, Movies, Music, Software, Data ... And no one want to pay royalties to who ever does the work in DR. Then the population that has the purchasing power if very limited.
If the government pays for that work, ( that they have, but will not release because it's classified as top secret!,) then a company like Garmin, or Tom Tom share it and install it in new devices.

Do you guys know that, you can not take an aerial photograph in the DR, from a aircraft with out a permit?

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com

You will not have ....

Or you could write the coordinates and then search it on google maps or google earth. See it's not useless!:squareeye

If you use Garmin portable GPS you will have basic highway and main roads, but nothing yet on city (SDQ, POP, STI ..)

I had a portable GPS {Garmin} a friend brought down from Florida, it must be 6 years ago, and it was useful to find the right direction to get out of Santiago and back to Puerto Plata. Road maps, no. Right direction to head, yes.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Nope, completely useless.

I thought the same thing Robert.

That is until another DR1'er followed me to my house,
and I told him I would lead him back out when he leaves.

It was then that the Light came on with his response.

No problem he said, he has a built-in GPS in his car.
He will just follow the tracks back out to the main highway.

Duh!, I can't recall how many times I could have used that ability.
I have gone in circles many time just trying to get to some friends homes out in the country.

What a blessing this would be to get back out!!!!!
My old GPS is already packed and awaiting my return to the DR.

Don SantiagoDR

theman

Aug 25, 2008

You will not have ....

Well still better then nothing, no it's not Garmin, it's integrated in my car, not a portable GPS.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you going to log tracks and way points, sure it can be handy if your driving around the campo.

As I said... in car GPS is completely useless here for 95% of the people that have it. Everyone I know that has a car with a built in GPS system here, does not use it.
The maps are VERY basic and only show are few of the major roads.

Yes, things are changing and in the not to distant future you will have accurate street level mapping, but right now, it's just that.... In the future...

track

Sep 6, 2008
Folks there is a new GPS system in DR, but I believe it only has a map of Santo Domingo (Distrito Nacional).....better than nothing.

Ola te guia, Primer solucion GPS en republica dominicana

I'm impressed, Hope they can make a profit.
In the future, From Santo Domingo To Puerto Plata.

Take AutoPita Duarte, for 210KM, straight.
If you make a "mistake" and need a re-route, the unit will Think, and say, Re-routing,.... Re-routing.... Ah! "Do you have a Jeep, 4x4?" because it's going to be a f....ing ride....