containers transiting custom? how safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
How safe are your house hold goods in the container while transiting custom?
Do I have to gamble on what will be stolen by the time I (my agent) get my container out of custom?
What is the best way to prevent your " stuff " being stolen from the container?
Where is the best port of entry for less administrative paper work for custom?SD or P-P ? final destination is Sosua .

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
How safe are your house hold goods in the container while transiting custom?
Do I have to gamble on what will be stolen by the time I (my agent) get my container out of custom?
What is the best way to prevent your " stuff " being stolen from the container?
Where is the best port of entry for less administrative paper work for custom?SD or P-P ? final destination is Sosua .

Best way is to be there yourself throughout the whole "verification" procedure. Make sure that the original seal is on the container before they open it for inspection, if it isn't make sure that fact is recorded by the customs officer. Stay there until it is closed and resealed, never leave it unattended. Make sure that all items taken out for inspection are properly repacked and replaced inside the container for safe forwarding by road to your final destination.

It can be an awfully time-consuming and frustrating experience - if you need any more specific advise PM me.

Good luck!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We had a seamless experience. Our customs agent in Santo Domingo handled the whole thing and walked us through the exoneration process. We did not go for the inspection but let the agent do it. They came reccomended by someone else here who also had a very easy time of it.
The bottom line was:
$200 to the agent to handle the process
$400 (actually a little less) for taxes on a full 40 ft container filled with household things, both new and used
All delivered to our door in Sosua with:
NOTHING MISSING
One broken lamp shade.

PM me if you want more details.

Bob K

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
Thanks,
Planning shipment for early spring 09 or sooner. I'll pm you when i get my duks in order?
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.