Biometric ID card for foreigners questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just read about the new Biometric ID card for foreigners. Does anyone know how this will work?

Questions that come to mind:

1) Where will the cards be issued? (Hopefully not requiring another trip to Santo Domingo)

2) How much will it cost?

3) How often will the expire?

4) Will the Biometric ID replace the Cedula or Residency card or be an additional card we need to carry? (Hopefully they can figure out a way for it to replace the Residency card.)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As with most things they make the announcement then figure out how to do it....... I too am waiting for more information.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would forget about it until you actually know of other people successfully completing the process, a "major" announcement in the press or better still, when we post about it here on DR1.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i don't think it is meant to replace any existing documents like the residency or cedula.
will be additional,
IF it comes to life.
we will hear about that here on the bord right away.
first that gubmin has to figure out themselves what it should mean or be.
Mike

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Sounds like another BOHICA Tax to me (Bend Over Here It Comes Again).

Bob K

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I just read about the new Biometric ID card for foreigners. Does anyone know how this will work?

Questions that come to mind:

1) Where will the cards be issued? (Hopefully not requiring another trip to Santo Domingo)

The cards will be issued in the same places where today actual Cedulas are being issued to all. Only a few places at a time will be set up to issue the new cards, as the equipment is costly and is still arriving to the country.

No price jump will take place; the same regular fees that are imposed to certain people will still stand (until any further notice to the contrary). The majority of them are free to citizens, but some will be required to pay an extra fee...

The new biometric cards will carry the same expiration terms as the old Cedulas. The ones issued to non-citizens are not going to carry the same tenure, thus being of a shorter term.

4) Will the Biometric ID replace the Cedula or Residency card or be an additional card we need to carry? (Hopefully they can figure out a way for it to replace the Residency card.)

The new card will replace the existent Cedula (ID) NOT the residency card!!! One serves the goal to provide a non-citizen ID/permit to establish residency/citizenship in the country; the other provides the day to day goal of a secured ID to perform all tasks that any citizen carries on their daily routine.

The new card is going to allow Police, Banks, Hospitals, Border control, etc... to securely identify and provide the services the carrier needs or requests from them effectively.

The system being deployed envisions that the Police, etc... Will be able to use the card to bring up all the data registered by your ID on any terminal with a color picture of the carrier, making ID theft a lot harder than before.

The new card is phase 1 of a three phase plan!
There'll be a secondary card that will also incorporate a chip that will also carry even more data than the one being deployed and will also become more secured.

The next after that is going to be a smart card, one that will allow the users to carry one ID for identification inside the country and to travel abroad as well.

The card will also allow the user to ride the Metro, pay bills to gov provided services, etc... The data on the cards will be encrypted and only each level of security can be used to access each level of data in the card. In effect, the cards will allow a bank to positively ID you but not have access to any other personal data, other than the basic needed to establish a correct identification. If you were to use the card to travel abroad, the card will be your passport, and providing the customs officials with the exact data they need to allow entry to their territory.

The idea is to carry a multi-national accord to have visas issued electronically to DR's nationals. The date of entry will be recorded in the port of entry and the data will never be compromised as such.

The passenger on a plane will be pre-flagged by their point of entry even before the plane lands at the destination!

The phase 3 of the card is being actively negotiated and followed in compliance with Interpol and other world agencies as well.

The DR?s phase 3 IDs will be encrypted not only in Spanish but every single language that our country is going to have an electronic agreement with. In any case of emergency the carrier will be assured efficient services when they need them.

Phase 1 is actually called the "depuration" phase...
Here once implemented we'll know where we stand and where we need to go after that...

There's also a big work being done to create a law to collect DNA from all persons incarcerated (after sentencing prior) and those arrested by the Police. We'll create a criminal DNA database that will allow Law enforcement to ID any person effectively and properly. The aim is to preclude any ID tampering by criminals that are caught with fraudulent IDs or lacking any ID as well...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
It's all part of the New World Order...are they going to put terminals in all the police vehicles like in most of the USA? If we're lucky it won't work... like a lot of things in the DR.

I can hear it now:
"Adonde esta su papeles? Quiero su papeles! Dame lo! Papeles o preso!"

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's all part of the New World Order...are they going to put terminals in all the police vehicles like in most of the USA? If we're lucky it won't work... like a lot of things in the DR.

I can hear it now:
"Adonde esta su papeles? Quiero su papeles! Dame lo! Papeles o preso!"

Yep!

I have no doubt it will go the same way of the breathalyzers, speed cameras and those useless Brazilian planes they just approved.

Dominicans need to start opening their eyes....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Biometric ID - the new Cedula and more

Thanks Pichardo for the explanation. Fortunately it won't be a "third" card for us to carry, but rather a "replacement and more" for the current Cedula. Unfortunately periodic trips to Santo Domingo for foreigners will still be necessary to obtain and renew this new card. ARGH, but so be it.

It appears that the original report of a Biometric ID card for foreigners is incorrect in that this card will be for all "residents" including citizens and foreigners legally living in the DR.

I find it odd that the information that I am a foreign resident in the DR cannot also be handled in this "all in one new magic wonder card" so we would actually not need separate residency cards, but so be it. I suppose that certain bureaucracies must be maintained.

While I do not like the fact of "big brother" watching, I have been a victim if Identity Theft several times and I understand how such a card could help prevent that.

For foreign residents, I don't expect this card will act as a replacement for our passports, but that the card would be a Dominican Citizen's passport, correct?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
doesn't sound that bad.
would stop the hiding of so many foreigners here on the island,
will be hard for them to show 'false DNA', ha ha.
with such a card with a chip on it i would expect for renewals we do not need to travel to the capital city, they could establish 'reloading' machines at different areas, like we anyways can pay gubmin fees at many bank counters.
i am sure not a big bro fan neither,
but in case of crime investigations i would appreciate to save the DNA of anyone, make's it easier to identify the bastards when they do it again, and such makes our lifes finally a bit saver.

with that card we can pay for the metro???????
HECK,
WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR SOMETHING WHICH IS NOT RUNNING AND WHICH I WOULD NOT CONSIDER SAVE TO USE??, WHICH WASTED THE MONEY OF OUR KIDS EDUCATION AND NEEDED HIGHWAY PROGRESS???

such a card could include the renewal of many legal papers, like i.e. the gun permission renewal, renewal for drivers licenses, once established such a card would replace the need of a birth certificate(for dominicans) or a 'papel de buena conducta', all stuff which still comes with some hassles and needed once in a while.

but it has huge dangers:
before even started to use such a system that gubmin should be clear about how to keep it save against intruders and other countries should check that out before they sign any agreement with a DR Gubmin to accept such cards produced over here.
somebody with access to a station can give the big bad guys(like i.e. the million dollars paying narcotraffic suckers) easy and hassle free a new idendity.
our gubmin is in case of drugs completely corrupt up to highest ranks in military/police/gubmin, so that gubmin in the form it is is absolutely not reliable to get such a system approved by other countries to accept those loaded cards.

the system at all sounds like something usefull to me,
in case of such for the DR and it's corrupt Gubmin missmanagement
i would say still a very long way to go, an other decade or two at LEAST.

Mike

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I'm a little dense

PICHARDO explain please

Quote:

No price jump will take place; the same regular fees that are imposed to certain people will still stand (until any further notice to the contrary). The majority of them are free to citizens, but some will be required to pay an extra fee...

Now seems to me that some being required to pay an extra fee over what we now pay would be an price change. this sounds more like and O'Bama tax cut for the middle class.

Quote:

The new biometric cards will carry the same expiration terms as the old Cedulas. The ones issued to non-citizens are not going to carry the same tenure, thus being of a shorter term.

Again being of a shorter term would be a change in pricing, correct,like for instance 1500rd for 7 years or 1500 for 5 years, means over the long run this new will cost more.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If they really wanted to I'm sure they could build in biometric data to the existing type of cedula. No need for a big song & dance, opportunity for hefty commissions for getting the contract for a particular company, grand announcements about how the DR is entering the 21st century etc etc.

It could be done as a simple administrative change without the hoopla.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did the EU and UK go ahead successfully with Biometric IDs?

It seems that Microsoft has a Biometric ID card product:

Microsoft Tamper Resistant Biometric ID Cards

And if the EU and UK can't get it right with a Biometric ID card, then who can? Did they eventually or was it dropped?

Biometric ID cards an insecure menace, says EU ID outfit ? The Register

and

UK biometric ID card morphs into ?30 'passport lite' ? The Register

I see that this is somewhat dated information, but what did become of such measures in the EU and the UK?

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
I can see now the urgent need for these new biometrics technology. A few weeks ago I went to renew my c?dula, and the darn infrared reader could not capture my thumb print. The attendant spent over half an hour toiling to get my print. Finally, she pulled a jar of cold cream from her purse, and rubbed some on my thumb. That seemed to do the trick. A few days ago, the main office closed down their c?dula renewal operation because of this problem. However, they don't blame it on the hardware, but on the thumbs. They said that peoples fingers are becoming smooth, enough to make prints unreadable!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
"They said that peoples fingers are becoming smooth, enough to make prints unreadable!" A little more manual labor would take care of that!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
From DR1 front page news:

Biometric data is obligatory
The Central Electoral Board (JCE) warned yesterday that as of January, anyone who has not supplied their biometric data will not be able to make any banking transactions or get a firearms permit, for instance. The biometric data is unique to each individual, and includes scans of fingerprints, retinas, iris, facial patterns, veins in the hands, and the geometry of the palm, all of which will be handled by state-of-the-art technology. The new IDs, to be issued next year, will include this information with the aim of combating identity fraud.
The Association of Commercial Banks will be requiring biometric information for banking transactions.
Roberto Rosario, the president of the Administrative Chamber of the JCE told reporters from El Caribe that the Minister of the Interior and Police have told him that beginning next 1 January, it will be obligatory to supply biometric data to get a firearms license. The biometric registry started at the JCE headquarters in October. The registry of the biometric data has also taken place at prosecutors offices, leading hotels in Santo Domingo, the National Police headquarters and several media companies in Santo Domingo and Santiago, as reported in El Caribe.

I hope that clears a lot of the questions you may have on this issue!

Undisclosed by the JCE to the news, is the fact that the new Biometric Cedulas data collected will be encrypted even while on the JCE's computer terminals and only a very few actual employees with level 1 clearance will be able to see all the data in highly secured and "Isolated" terminals for security screenings.

Nobody will be able to scoop any person's full biometric and personal data as it's done today with regular cedulas...

Each access of encrypted data per terminal will be logged and also "watermarked" with a security key. Each person that sees that data will be held responsible if any data with their "unique" watermark gets stolen or found in a fraudulently issued ID...

That's to say, if an ID is caught and found to be fake by the system (another flagging system that will ensure safety) the data encrypted in the card is so unique that it can be traced back to the source immediately...

Given the next phases for the ID cards and later "international" document of travel, the security and penalties for fraud will be dealt with at the National Security Risks level...

ATMs at banks will be the first to be required to comply with the biometric scanning of users, later the rest of the industry must comply as well...

The "card" system is just the first stages to the final end solution of using a person's biometric data without the use of any such thing! In effect, you'll be able to pay for your ride, groceries, rent, bills, travel at airports, etc... All without ever using any piece of printed media to ID yourself or provide any form of data that could be "scooped" by any device to copy and fake...

The whole idea aims to open the country to all people, yet provide security that only those that are allowed to enter and stay for any period do so in safety! It will make the DR a safer place from Pedophiles, sexual exploiters, scammers, killers and unwanted people in general! At the same time, Police will have a tool to resolve crimes effectively and securely with the aid of technology unlike today...

Biometric data will be collected at hospitals for newborns, as it never changes!

You can't get paid if you don't have the new ID, simple!

The tourism industry was "briefed" on slight data to this end and that's the first and foremost reason of the massive lay-offs in the old traditional north coast's enclaves (apart from the ongoing slump in visitors as well). The eastern and newer enclaves did the smart thing and hired only people with the authorization to do so in the country!!!

If you're a foreigner in the DR and today work without residency or any permit to do so, get your papers in order or you'll face stiff fines and possibly expulsion from the country!

If you're a criminal from another country or have sexual abuse charges in the country of origin, leave soon! VERY SOON!!!!

The DR is working along INTERPOL and all FOREIGNERS biometric data will be scanned for unwanted guests in the country.
The DR will arrest and investigate any person found to be with a criminal background actively wanted by foreign countries.
They'll be arrested and depurated, if found to be doing some criminal activity in the country, will be prosecuted and sent to jail (trust me! They don?t want to be in jail in the DR), the lucky ones will be flash deported to the countries where they have a warrant for their arrest. All will be handled via INTERPOL and NOT via bi-national agreements, that way ensuring quick action without legal delays...

You (yes those with any criminal background active elsewhere) have been warned! The biometric ID will be in full swing after Jan 1st 2009...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
So how does this rollout???? If it is in full swing by Jan 1 2009 - what is the process?

Where do we go to get a new card - for foreigners - for locals??? There is a shortage of information on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.