EVERYONE COME AND CHAT!!!!

P

Pam

Everyone come and chat in the DR1 chat room. There's not very many people who chat in the DR1 chat room but it would be nice to have more people coming to chat about the beautiful island "the Dominican Republic"!Hope to see you there!

M

Marilyn

leaving on a jet plane . . .

Only 3 days to endure this cold cold weather here in Manitoba Canada. I am going to pack my bags today. We fly out of Winnipeg on Wednesday am. Does anybody know if there are plenty of bank machines in DR. We are going to Puerto Plata.

C

Cindy

Re: ATM's (Banking Machines)

Charlie:

Is it true that the service charges for the ATM's are really high down there? It seems people try to discourage us from using them unless absolutely necessary. What is your experience?

K

Keith Murphy

Cindy,

I have used my Mastercard several times in the DR and have found that the Mastercard people whack you about 6.5 to 7 % for both purchases and cash advances. In other words, MC does not give you anywhere near the correct exchange rate. I'm talking US $. I recommend, take cash or travellers checks. One more word. If you take travellers checks, you need your passport to cash them.

Hope this helps....

Regards, Keith

S

Sam

Hi! Rob and I lived in Sosua for 7 years before we moved to Santiago where Rob continued his medical studies. Anybody remember the "Poor Boys"? They were a super 'old rock' group which played mainly the Sosua/Puerto Plata circuit, but also were recieved enthusiasticaly in Santo Domingo and Santiago. If you do, I need not say more. Anyway, Amy was born in Los Charamicos in '89,and Joshua in '91. We're back in Canada now, for now, and all is well. Anyone who was living in Sosua during this time frame, when the Tree Top Lounge was the place for the 'locals' to meet and greet, well we'd love to hear from you again- Marie, Uncle Dick, Deiter, Diane- the list is long. Remember "Island Cones and Shakes"? That's us! We've already re-conected with Anthony. Hope to hear from some of you folks again! Sam.

C

Charlie

Re: leaving on a jet plane . . .

Lot's of bank machines. Especially at Playa Dorado and downtown PP at the Banco Popular near the central Park across from the Cathedral. Canadian travellers cheques are the best way to deal with exchanging money and safe.

T

Tom

Pam

Post a "regular" schedule when you might be in the room. Far too many people "pop in," see no one and leave

Tom

M

Marilyn

We decided to take Cdn travellers cheques but don't have passports. In Manitoba we have picture driver licenses. Will that do?

D

DR One

We are told you need your passport to exchange travel checks. Just bring cash (US$) plus your credit cards.