Visiting DR 12/27-1/7/2009

Michael0721

Feb 8, 2008
Long time reader, first time poster! I am visiting the DR from 12/27 to 1/7/2009. Have accommodations in Santo Domingo near the Conde' from 12/27-1/4/2009, then heading to Cabarete from 1/4/2009 to 1/6/2009 via Caribe Tours before heading back to Santo Domingo for my final night. Need some advice:

From the Conde' what's the cheapest way to get the zoo? I understand the aquarium is near Boca Chica. Is it more practical to take the local bus to Boca Chica and then catch a taxi to the aquarium or is there a bus that will let me off in front of the aquarium?

During my stay I would love to visit Bayahibe/Saona Island. Would you recommend a tour - I don't need the frills, I want to visit, lay back and enjoy the sand and surf, take a few pictures, have some seafood and head back to town.

I also wanted to take a daytrip to some waterfalls, raging rivers (white water rafting), maybe see an alligator or other indigenous wildlife. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Michael :glasses:

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
From my experience, take Apolo Taxi from the Colonial Zone to the aquarium for about $150 pesos...they will drop you off in front of it. I used Caribe to go to Jarabacoa when I did the adventure thing.....but it's more than a day trip....I spent a week and am going back to hike up to Pico Duarte.

Rancho Baiguate was my hook up for white water rafting, rappelling, some hiking and a half day waterfall trip.....they feds us well at the base camp before and after each adventure!

No matter what you do, have fun and take care of those that show you a good time...TIP PING is not a city in China!

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
The aquarium is MUCH closer to El conde ( the capital ) about 10 min away.

I never noticed if public buses stop at the aquarium. If It did and if went all the way to BC. It would have to make an unbelievible amount of stops. Not worth it, you'd be looking at close to hour on a very uncomfortable bus.

Personaly I would take a cab to and from the aquarium. (300-400 pesos )

And then take the express bus (50) pesos and get there in a little over a half hour. Much better ride, faster and way more comfortable.