The Best of Santo Domingo

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I was interested in putting together a list of top things to do in Santo Domingo (sightseeing attractions, museums, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc).

The question being posed is: If you had 2 days in Santo Domingo, what would be on your "must do" or "must see" list?

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
The presidential palace does a tour,my friend works in the palace,the office next to the main man leonel,missed out 2 xmas ago for a party there ,and my friend keeps saying he will get me a pass ,i have been told the splender is to be held in ore.it was free,but dont no now.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
There are some caves heading out east of the city, my ex girlfriend took me ,natural !and a nice walk,some famous films were made there,sorry can not remember the name,ok for a hour or so ,but then gets borrrrrrrrrrrrrring .

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
There are some caves heading out east of the city, my ex girlfriend took me ,natural !and a nice walk,some famous films were made there,sorry can not remember the name,ok for a hour or so ,but then gets borrrrrrrrrrrrrring .

I imagine you are talking about Los Tres Ojos and the Presidential Palace Tour is still free but must be booked 10 days in advance. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!!

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
I forgot to say the lakes under the caves,people do boat trips thru the caves ,the water is so crystal clear you can see all the fish(the ones that have not been eaten) ,1 one filmed there was the goonies,the name of the caves is los tres ojos.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Take a walk from china town, avienda mexico up duarte and just watch normal dominican life go by,it never gets borrrrrrring ,when i wait for my bus near the park on duarte there is always something going on ,great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Take a walk from china town, avienda mexico up duarte and just watch normal dominican life go by,it never gets borrrrrrring ,when i wait for my bus near the park on duarte there is always something going on ,great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

2niba15.jpg

1z6s00p.jpg

fom0lt.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was interested in putting together a list of top things to do in Santo Domingo (sightseeing attractions, museums, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc).

The question being posed is: If you had 2 days in Santo Domingo, what would be on your "must do" or "must see" list?

For information on museums, visit Secretar?a de Estado de Cultura. In that link you will find information on all the public museums in Santo Domingo.

One private museum that I highly recommend is the Museo Bellapart. Its home to the finest collection of Dominican art anywhere in the world. Their displays consist of the biggest names in Dominican art.

-NALs

Aug 19, 2004
Sightseeing attractions - the best are mostly in the Zona Colonial though many are not easily accessible. IMO it seems a pity that more of the colonial churches are not regularly open to the public as the interiors are beautiful. Similarly how did Casa Rodrigo de Bastidas end up been a children's museum when it was previosuly a very good art gallery.

Would also add Bido's Gallery to the list.

WillSDQ

Nov 3, 2008
Of course, the Colonial Zone is a must. But you should also think about visiting the Zoo and the Aquarium. The Zoo has some very exotic animals hard to find back home in the states. One example is hyenas. The zoo is relatively nice and huge. Included with your ticket is a ride on the train that runs the length of the zoo. The aquarium is not as well maintained. However, they do have a manatee on display. I was very surprised to see this animal swim around as it was as agile as a seal.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Jard?n Bot?nico Nacional....I can spend the whole day there.

Oh and the outdoor market around the Mercado Modelo. Crazy s*** goin on there, fun to see.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Of course, the Colonial Zone is a must. But you should also think about visiting the Zoo and the Aquarium. The Zoo has some very exotic animals hard to find back home in the states. One example is hyenas. The zoo is relatively nice and huge. Included with your ticket is a ride on the train that runs the length of the zoo. The aquarium is not as well maintained. However, they do have a manatee on display. I was very surprised to see this animal swim around as it was as agile as a seal.

The SD Zoo is surprisingly nice and like you said, the aquarium is not as well maintained but a fun stop especially for the kids. Sorry to break the news, but the manatee passed away...

WillSDQ

Nov 3, 2008
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the manatee?!?!?!?!?!?!? I will quote Slim Pickens, " now I am deeeeeeepressed." :cheeky:

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
location of the zoo

not that familiar with SD - what are the addresses of the Zoo and the aquarium; please also provide directions to the Museo de Bellas Artes - or what ever is the name of the art museum - one of the things missed in the DR are some good and interesting museums when you are tired of looking at colonial buildings.