Please Help Me with Some information

Status
Not open for further replies.

domicanita

Mar 7, 2007
I have a friend who is going to Puerto Plata in December. Because I am Dominican she wants me to help her with some info. However, I am just as much as a tourist as any gringo. I came to the US 30 years ago when I was 11. I have only been in the DR 3 times in those 30 years, and I 've been in Puerto Plata, but only spend 2 days there.

Any information that you can give me would be so greatly appreciated. Here is part of the email that she sent to me so you can have an idea of what kind of info she wants.

" Do you have any suggestions of what we could do that is unique to Dominican republic ?ie: ruins, landmark, etc.

Also, what would be a good souvenier or take-home item that is unique to the DR? ie: rum, textile, ??

I?d love any and all info you could give me?hints on getting around, saving money. Whatever. "

The one thing I remember doing in Puerto Plata ( and loved it) was something called the " Bull ride Safari" That's when you get on the back of a camion and they take you into the country side, show you diferent plantations. The trip included a Dominican lunch and it ended with jumping off some fall. That was great. Any info about that or any other similar would be nice too.

Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to help.

Dominicanita

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
  • As far as forts and ruins, there is the San Felippe fort on the Puntilla of the Malecon (West end of the sea shore avenue). It has been renovated since you left. The is La Isabella, remains of Columbu's settlement West of Luperon (she can take a tour to see that and visit Isla Paraiso... and small "island" just off Luperon, where she can fish along with colorful fish.
  • The "Safari" tour trucks operate under all sorts of names. She can book those at most hotels or inside the Playa Dorada mall on the East end of Puerto Plata (Altos de Cofresi is out West of Puerto Plata).
  • The Malecon is where a lot of locals spend sunny afternoons and many evenenings, especially during the week end. It has over the last years, been completely renovated. There are cute little bar kiosks set up along the Eastern end 3rd of the Malecon. It's safe and has all sorts of people.
  • Then, there is the "Mercado" just above downtown. Safe during daylight and incorporates a star shaped building full of souvenir stuff. Just teach her to bargain hard.
  • Dowtown offers the Central Park in the midst of Puerto Plata's Victorian herritage... or sadly, what's left of it. Again, safe during daytime.
  • She might want to visit Ocean World which is just bellow where she will stay. By far not as large as US SeaWorld, but clean and nice and offering the possiblitiy to interact with dolphins and other animals in a way I would not know that it is possible in the US or EU.
  • Exursions by bus (tourist or local) to Sosua and Cabarete will certainly be recommended by many who live there.
Short... this is not Orlando, one has to move around and enjoy the simpler things, but there is plenty to fill a vaccation time.

... J-D.

Reactions: badpiece33

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The jeep safari is to Damajagua falls - it is amazing. Do a search of the forums for the falls and you will find an entire thread describing the trip!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
As far as souvenirs:
Coffee
Rum
Vanilla
Cocoa
Amber and Larimar (jewelry)
Haitian and Dominican art
Mamajuana
Cigars

I think that you cannot enter the USA with mamajuana anymore. Correct me if I am wrong.
The doll without face.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2008
You can bring mamajuauna into the US if it has the liquid ingredients already added. You can't bring in just the bark, twigs, etc. That is considered "vegetation" or agricultural products, which are prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.